Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vera - VERify Archive utility - free (new version 24-Sep-08)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philtipping

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Vera - VERify Archive utility - free (new version 24-Sep-08) Reply with quote

Not necessarily music-related, but a useful Windows-based utility for verifying your archives and other file transfers. It's not alone on the market, but it's free, easy to use and is just a single executable file with nothing to 'install', so no changes to any system files or the registry.
More details & screenshots in the Freebies section of www.philizound.co.uk

I wrote it after a couple of scary moments backing up my music files, when I found there was nothing in Windows to actually check binary files in an archive/copy which includes sub-folders.

One incident was a failing CD/DVD burner which started to take longer and longer burning files, and some of these turned out to be corrupted. Once I'd realised this I started using the burner's built-in verify option, but this gave no indication of which files had failed, and also wouldn't verify existing archives which were now suspect.

The other incident started out as a straightforward Windows copy of hundreds of WAV files to some external USB discs for use on another PC. The process took several overnight runs to complete and all appeared ok. It turned into a nightmare much later when tiny clicks in some of the tracks were eventually traced back to the original copies being corrupted. Searching the internet showed this to be a 'known problem' with some USB transfers - unbelievable!

Hope someone else finds this useful.
Phil.
24-Sep-08: New version 2.00 removes 4GB file size limit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: