Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to buy? Korg MS2000B or Microkorg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Microkorg vs MS2000B The Better Choice?
Microkorg
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
MS2000B
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
I touch myself when I think of both.
26%
 26%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 30

Warrdevol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: What to buy? Korg MS2000B or Microkorg Reply with quote

Hows it going everyone Im looking to buy a Korg MS2000B or Microkorg what would be the better choice? The 2 style of music I do is Industrial EBM Hellelektro & Dark Trance. I strictly use only hardware to make music no software accept final recording. This will be my last Synthesizer to buy for a long time. but if you think owning both is a advantage please let me know why or if ones better then the other.

Any comment appreciated.

here is a good example of music I listen to.

http://www.myspace.com/reaxionguerrilla
http://www.myspace.com/trimadas

Cheers
Olli
fac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question. The knobs are so worth it.

Nord G2 + Waldorf XT + Korg MS2000R + ER-1 + ES-1 + Boss DR-770 + Dotcom modular + Mobius + Ensoniq ESQ-1 + Atomo Mochika
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i'd get an R3 for the price range, especially if its the last you'd buy for a while. wouldn't buy partly-outdated equipment.

besides that advice, the ms2000 is so much more tweakable with the knobs. Unless your going to use it live, in which case the MK may look slightly cooler, and you can make more impressive chords and intervals with those small keys (but the 4 note poly is a bit limiting there)
Warrdevol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my homework and decided to go with the Korg R3 its seem to be what I need and the Editor Software will be a big help to create the sounds I want. Plus the black and red look is just cool and doesnt take up as much room as a Korg MS2000B.
plosive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
partly-outdated equipment.

no such thing in the synth world.
joet63

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: What to buy? Korg MS2000B or Microkorg Reply with quote

I myself have a MS2000 and a MS2000R and I love them they are the sound of my youth and I wouldn't part with them, I'm sure the MicroKorg and R3 more than capable of the job, the fact is, I haven't tried either bits of kit, but I'd like to say I love my two MS2000's, not just for their playability, but their sound and functionality, and good looks. I also agree with plosive, there is no such thing as 'partly-outdated equipment', look at some of the 'equipment' on ebay for instance and some of the silly prices this 'partly-outdated equipment' is going for!

Not in this synth world mate! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
sji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, out date equipment.... I just bought a Roland SH-09 to sit next to my microkorg.

The SH-09 has an external audio input jack... I wonder what the mK sounds like running through an analogue filter? Cool

Anyway, if you buy both synths you can have one for the studio and one for gigs or for portable noodling. The microkorg can accept MS2000 patches (but not the other way round). Also the microkorg has that cool step arpeggiator. If you get both you can run the MS2000 from it (you can set the microkorg to send arpeggiator notes).

Have you considered the Radias?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. I apologise for saying 'outdated equipment'. It wasn't exactly what I meant. after all, i've had my share of older gear.

The microkorg definately has a fatter sound straight off. But the Radias and R3 are designed to be clear steps forward from the MS2k/Mk (by the way they both are more or less the same, besides the user interface and some extras like the step sequencer on the MS2k).

in terms of sound design, and diving into synthesis, I believe the Radias and R3 offer several advantages over the MS2K/MK:

MK________________R3
1 Filter------------------2 Filters
on/off Distortion-------variable drive and waveshaping
1 delay, 1 chorus-----Two Triton-style IFX per timbre +master FX (I think?)
4 note poly-------------8 note poly (Radias 24 note poly)
2EGs--------------------3EGs
4 Virtual Patch---------6 Virtual Patch (8 I think on the EXB-Radias for M3)
no sequencers---------3 modulation sequencers
(1? on MS2k)

for me, the polyphony would sell it alone. But out of all, I would go for a radias AND (or OR I suppose in money constraints) a MS2K.
they're much more tweakable than the smaller MK and R3. Allthough suprisingly I do like the MK's tiny keys, you can make massive spread chords or power chords easilly, IF only the poly were up to it.
I think the MS2K and MK make great bass and lead machines in mono and unison mode.
IM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own MicroKorg for 2 years and recently deicided to buy an MS2000B and sell my micro. But when I bought it and played around with both simultaneously for a couple of minutes i quit the idea and deicided to leave both.

Concerning R3 versus MS2000/MK they are very different in terms of sound - their oscillattors and DGWS sound different, their filters are different. And I personally love microkorg/MS 2000 much more.

And when it comes to opportunities of sound design I'd go Nord Modular G2 Smile As it's both powerful and rich sounding
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: