Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D888 - How To Record Band & Export Files To Garageband,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: D888 - How To Record Band & Export Files To Garageband, Reply with quote

Hi - Our band just lost our lead/bass player, David - he moved out of state - but we still want to record together. What's the best way to do this? We want to record ourselves (drums, piano, lead, rhythm guitar & vocals) live and then send the song(s) /tracks to our bandmate to add his guitar, bass and/or vocals. He has a Mac with Garageband - we have a Gateway PC with Adobe's Audition. Can we record four instruments and vocals simultaneously on the D888 and somehow (that's where the Korg Forum comes in!) share/export the song so Dave can add his track(s), get it back to us and then we mix and master? Finally, what about the issue of .wav files and Mac's AIFF files? Do we need a converter? Do we need to have identical computer recording software to exchange files -- and if so -- should we try using the free Audacity digital recording software at both locations. I realize this is a lot of questions, but we really want to be able to still play music with our buddy -- even if it is long range and in a virtual environment. Thank you for your help in advance.
jerky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that all the time. Our band also has a player 350 km away.

We record drums, bass and guitar with D888. Then I export the tracks to PC. I use Reaper (free software and a lot better than Audacity) to mix the tracks and then send the mix via e-mail to the guitarist. He then records his parts (using Tascam DP-01) and sends back his tracks for me to mix with the rest. Then I export a mix to D888 as 2 mono files and we have 6 tracks to record vocals etc. Then the 6 tracks are exported again to PC and can be mixed for the final song.

I'm not sure, but I think most editing programs can use AIFF:s along with WAV:s. But if not, then use Audacity for conversion.

For email, we compress the tracks to OGG vorbis (for filesize). Used to use mp3, but that caused weird sync problems. I have not noticed any quality problems if some of the guitars are OGG:s instead of WAV:s.
draker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: How To Record Band & Export Files To GarageBand, etc. Reply with quote

Hi Jerky,

Thank you for some insightful comments. A couple of questions to clarify:
When you send your mix to the guitarist, are you sending him a stereo file? Mulitiple tracks? How many tracks/ mono or stereo / is your guitarist returning to you? Thank you again -- would never have thought about exporting the mix to D888 as two mono files to then use to open up tracks for vocals, etc. -- All the best -- Draker
jerky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: How To Record Band & Export Files To GarageBand, etc Reply with quote

draker wrote:
Hi Jerky,

Thank you for some insightful comments. A couple of questions to clarify:
When you send your mix to the guitarist, are you sending him a stereo file? Mulitiple tracks? How many tracks/ mono or stereo / is your guitarist returning to you? Thank you again -- would never have thought about exporting the mix to D888 as two mono files to then use to open up tracks for vocals, etc. -- All the best -- Draker

I send my guitarist a stereo file (the raw mix of the instruments recorded so far, usually also a pilot vocal).

He sends me back only the tracks he has played (his guitar tracks, usually rhythm guitar track and possibly 1 or more solo tracks).

Good luck with your project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: