Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems using sampling programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke672

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Problems using sampling programs Reply with quote

Hi. I posted this in the triton extreme forum but had no luck. I have a triton extreme and have attempted to use my extreme as a controller by using various programs such as kontakt, kore player etc. However each time the sound comes out of the PC and not my keyboard. I have recently purchased a usb midi interface cable and have plugged it in correct (ie midi in goes in the midi out and midi out in the midi in) but the sound still comes through the pc and not the keyboard. I have turned local off via global settings. Any ideas?
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you basically dont know anything at all about this. Its a very wide topic.
You cant connect Extreme to Kontakt and expect the sounds to come out
from the synt, no MIDI or AUDIO cable would do that. For that sounds to
come out of the Extreme it has to be in Extreme, not in Kontakt.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems using sampling programs Reply with quote

Luke672 wrote:
I have a triton extreme and have attempted to use my extreme as a controller by using various programs such as kontakt, kore player etc.However each time the sound comes out of the PC and not my keyboard.

In this case Extreme is not your controller but Kontakt, which is not possible.
Thats what you are doing but its not what you wanna do. Extreme can be a
controller only in this case. Instead of my typing it all here first search the net
and learn a little about basics of MIDI and MIDI controllers then carefully
explain what do you wanna achieve cuz i dont really understand.
I dont think that you really know what is a Sampling Program or a Sampler.
There is a lot of info on the net and on the forums.
Luke672

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically what I want to do, is use various programs eg kontakt, project sam symphobia, various east west programs etc.. and use the various sounds on there on my keyboard. However when I have been playing them they have been playing through the PC. I want to play them through my TE on my TE sequencer so I can record them. Should this be asked in the soft synths section?

Also, with all these programs is it possible to say import a midi file into these programs and assign sounds from these programs to various midi sounds in that file. For example I have created various midi files that have guitar and drum sounds that would be hard to play on keyboard. I was hoping to transfer them to one of these virtual instruments and then assign say one of the guitars in these programs (say in the ministry of rock program) to the midi file.

I hope this makes sense!
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said, you have to do some research on Basics of Midi and Audio.
A Soft Sampler sounds wont come out thru Extreme, thats why they are in
the computer, you have to convert them to Extremes format which wont be
possible, some of the sounds in those libraries are as big as 1 GB each.
You need to use those Sampler in DAWs as Cubase Sonar or else to assign
MIDI files to them and to put them to actual use.
Luke672

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. Also I"m guessing as these sounds are rather large I cannot import a midi file i have created and assign various sounds to midi tracks. For example a guitar sound to the guitar midi track? An example would be a midi file created using guitar pro. A soft synth/sampling program I have purchased is ministry of rock. After converting that guitar pro file to midi could I then import that midi file into ministry of rock (or any other soft synth program eg contact) then assign a guitar sound to the guitar midi track, a drum sound to the drum midi track etc so I have realistic sounding instruments as opposed to midi sounding instruments and so I don't need to play the guitars and drums myself on the keyboard?
xpander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: BasariStudios is right, please study the basics... Reply with quote

I"m guessing as these sounds are rather large I cannot import a midi file i have created and assign various sounds to midi tracks.

MIDI is just control data, no sounds at all.

MIDI tells to the sound engine what notes to play, how loud, for how long etc. It also tells in what MIDI channel(s) these notes/instructions are to be played back, according to how everything is set up.

For example, you can play/record your MIDI keyboard (controller) at channel 1. The sound you hear playing back is whatever you have assigned into that channel 1 in the receiving end, ie. the actual sound engine. You have to assign the actual sound engine, be it in the MIDI synth itself/soft synth in your PC/ external sound module, so that it plays back the sound(s) you want it to.

You can very well record into MIDI sequencer while playing piano sounds and play the same MIDI track back later using drum sounds if you want! This is the flexibility of MIDI.

Or you can use, say, any modest piano sound you have at hand while recording your MIDI data, and later use that same MIDI data to play back the fanciest and priciest ever piano sounds you can find. This is what you were wondering with your guitar sounds.

If you record just the audio, the actual sounds that come out of the sound engine, you're pretty much stuck with it later on. Wanna change the synth sound to a different one, play and record again! If you record MIDI data, you can later change the actual sound into anything you want, the notes and all that will be the same.

Or record both MIDI and audio, if your sequencer allows that. You can also edit MIDI data later on if needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: