Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new office

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: new office Reply with quote

Finally got everything in my post processing room setup the way I envisioned it, the table is my own design, had it cut and delivered. It sits in a u-channel in the wall, and is supported by four slim steel posts. Printers are networked and in another room.

Hardware is unmistakingly Macintosh. I can not believe it, after more than 25 years I did it, and very happy with it so far! Screens are color calibrated 24" Eizo color graphics and 30" Nec spectraview.

The macs is a 8x3.0Ghz, 16 Gig with 6 TB harddrives, and a macbook pro with 4 Gig Ram.

VERY happy with that setup! Very Happy

Last edited by laughing_bear on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

I hope to make the jump to a Mac next time, but I've lost so much money in the Stock Market lately, that's not realistic for now.

I understand that software like Sonar, can be installed, and used on Macs now.
Soundforge, would be the biggie, I use that daily, but I have been curious about Digital Performer, since Susan and I did the Collabs years ago, it's just that I'm so comfy with my current setup.
Very Happy
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

What is it that you actually do Bear?
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one day you'll enter that studio and won't find the chair... well you know...
great studio!
Regards, Lorenzo
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sewa wrote:
Nice!

What is it that you actually do Bear?

Hi Sewa,

abhout 4 years ago I started to pick up photography on a serious scale. Living in the most stunning part of Ireland on the NW atlantic provides me with landscapes of mindblowing beauty, and I decided this year to go professional.

So I took the plunge and invested into serious gear such as a 64" wirde large format printer.

This october I meet Michael Reichman for a week in Canada, the chap who established and owns this site here, to study photograph in more depth in a one on one situation.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

I do not have a website yet, due to no broad band access, but this will change early 2009.

In terms of technology, I use all kind of cameras, from digicams, to DSLR, to medium format digital backs with 33 Megapixels. Thankfully, I get sponsored by manufacturers who believe in my line of work, and who were so kind to send me camera systems to work with. I could not afford to buy a 50,000 dollar camera at this point in time. Currently, my flagship is a SINAR M. If things go well, I will shoot with a LEICA S2, which was announced on this years photokina, where I had a little exhibition, and write a field report about it.

So I guess, in a nutshell, I do fine art photography.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
If one day you'll enter that studio and won't find the chair... well you know...
great studio!
Regards, Lorenzo

Very Happy

Thanks Lorenzo!
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
I hope to make the jump to a Mac next time, but I've lost so much money in the Stock Market lately, that's not realistic for now.

Sorry to hear that Stephen.

Yeah, I am on Macs since around July now, and I did not regret it for a single second. The availability of 16 Gig's, up to 32 Gigs max at the moment, makes a difference to your computing experience in deed. Apart from that, OSX Leopard, well, it just works!

On a budget, I would recommend to look into the iMacs, very reasonable money for a considerable performance in a neat package in deed!
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing_bear wrote:

So I guess, in a nutshell, I do fine art photography.

Interesting,

I remotely recall that you were once in a corporate job of some kind. A successful transition into a free profession is a remarkable achievement, respect!

s.
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sewa,

the last time I had my Armani on me for reasons of working for someone else was in 2001. Yeah, I was a consultant for many years in deed, but I got fed up with the mentally ill circumstances of being a slave of a corporation.

When the IT bubble bursted, I lost my job and bought a Korg Karma. LOL, best choice I ever made!

I had a few offers in Germany in 2002, really big money, but I could not be arsed anymore, and rather went through an admittedly very difficult transition period.

There are no garantees, whether you are employed or run your own business. The times of secure jobs are a thing of the past since long, and the corporate greed and effects that go along in this culture of quarterly results was something that I had no interest in anymore, to be honest, I never had an interest in this at all, just happened to have worked there and well, years went by.

Since more or less 5 years I am stating to friends the end of capitalism as we know it, and often I was smiled upon, the credit crunch we face at the moment is only the start of things to change in my view, undoubtedly we have not seen the worst to come yet!

Whether I succeed with my efforts is not entirely up to me of course, but the main point is, I like what I do, and this is what I call success.

I do not have big cheques coming in anymore, well, not yet that is. Wink But seriously, money is only one aspect of why I do what I do, and it is not the most important. If I should only get by more or less, that's fine with me, if I should make tons of cash, that's fine with me too, then I can give something back to where it is needed.

The value of money changed tremendously in my life. Yeah, I need some, but regardless how much I have, it can not buy me time.

You could say, it can, if you get seriously sick and have tons of money, you can buy some time probably, but ultimately, not....
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bear!

Sorry but the picture is not here anymore...
Please, can you posto it again, as I lost this discussion, and I would love to see your current office...

Regards,
and lots of compliments for your activity!

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
laughing_bear
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should work now....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: