Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mixing/mastering starters....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maelstrom191

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: mixing/mastering starters.... Reply with quote

I've been somewhat hesitant to post this thread for fear of verbal bashings of "noob" and the like.
but after spending an hour or so on the search function, to no avail. I feel it is time to ask my question.

I have two songs that I programmed in MIDI and then ran through my triton extreme, then directly back in to the computer.
One of which I decided to take a crack at mixing.
Which actually didn't turn out too bad. I got the things I wanted to some out a bit more, everything sounds clearer, more distinguishable, and more lifelike. However my problem lies in that the unmixed(dry) recording of the song is actually louder and has alot more bass.
below is a link to each of this song, mixed and dry(unmixed).

http://www.soundclick.com/tacos

sorry all I have is soundclick to show these you.

Detailed Analysis:
the project is split up into 12 tracks which are:

Harp
Piano
5 pizzicato tracks(of all different timbres) which are:
viola pizz
violin pizz
cello pizz
bass pizz
and ensemble pizz
then I have
two slow attack digital strings tracks for backing and bass
two violin tracks for lead melody
and finally
bells

Since this was my first time mixing, I really wasn't sure where to start, but I knew of a vst plugin to use which I know to be fairly decent.
I used Izotope Ozone 3 for all my mixing.
The steps I took in mixing these tracks were:

First, I equalized everything till I brought out what I though the track needed. note: I never went into the negative dBs.

second, I added reverb to everything, as with everything I did on here, I tried not to go too overboard and just added as much as I felt neccesary to give the tracks a more life-like feel.

third, I used the loudness maximizer on tracks I felt turned out too quiet, or I decreased the gain margin to bring volumes of others down a bit.

fourth, I used a multiband harmonic exciter to bring out certain details of each track i.e. the rosin scrape from a stringed instrument.

fifth, I used a multiband dynamics function, which as I understand it, is some form of compressor, so I just tweaked it till it felt tighter and more brilliant.

lastly, I used a multiband stereo imager to add wideness to all the tracks. which I felt made everything sound bigger, like it should.

any input on what I did wrong or right would be greatly appreciated.
The main reason I posted this is to find out what a good way to start the mixing/master process would be. I would VERY much appreciate any help offered and I truly hope you enjoy the tracks.

furthermore, if you would like to try and mix them yourself I'd be happy to send all the individual dry tracks to see what kind of magic you guys can muster.

please help
Zac
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not exactly sure what you are looking for, but I can offer some thoughts on your mixes and some suggestions that you may find beneficial.

1. Caution with your EQ. Equalization is to be used sparingly. Many sounds are sampled and have been EQed to fit where they should. If you feel a sound is taking away from another sound, analyze the second sound to find where in the spectrum it is strongest, and then EQ back the first sound in that range...but only in -1db steps at a time max. This is where much of your thinness is coming from.

2. Reverb should be last on the list in this type of music. Make sure it is one of the last effects you place on a sound. I would never put reverb on bassier sounds as it has little effect except adding mud.

3. No use for a loudness maximizer on individual tracks. If you follow the above, and you mix the sounds, don't waste your precious computing power on this. This effect is best for the overall track.

4. Again, use harmonic exciters with caution like EQ. Make sure this is an insert effect so that it does not interfere with the EQ. This should be a step before the track passes through final EQ. And a little bit goes a long ways.

5. Multiband dynamics can be good on individual tracks that need it. This is really the effect you should use to pull out rosin scrapes. But I find this effect is best used in mastering the final mix of a song to highlight missing or weak EQ points.

6. Stereo imaging thins a sound way out and can actually pull a track out of phase. It is best to pan your tracks where you want them and use your EQ and dynamics to fake the wideness. If you decide to actually use this effect, again, sparingly IS the key.

But you would know all of this if you weren't a n00b. Laughing Laughing

I AM KIDDING! You set yourself up and I could not resist. I think you did a great job. Keep playing, and it is always good to experiment. It got you this far.

Jon Solo

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: mixing/mastering starters.... Reply with quote

maelstrom191 wrote:
I've been somewhat hesitant to post this thread for fear of verbal bashings of "noob" and the like.
but after spending an hour or so on the search function, to no avail. I feel it is time to ask my question.

I have two songs that I programmed in MIDI and then ran through my triton extreme, then directly back in to the computer.
One of which I decided to take a crack at mixing.
Which actually didn't turn out too bad. I got the things I wanted to some out a bit more, everything sounds clearer, more distinguishable, and more lifelike. However my problem lies in that the unmixed(dry) recording of the song is actually louder and has alot more bass.
below is a link to each of this song, mixed and dry(unmixed).

http://www.soundclick.com/tacos

sorry all I have is soundclick to show these you.

Detailed Analysis:
the project is split up into 12 tracks which are:

Harp
Piano
5 pizzicato tracks(of all different timbres) which are:
viola pizz
violin pizz
cello pizz
bass pizz
and ensemble pizz
then I have
two slow attack digital strings tracks for backing and bass
two violin tracks for lead melody
and finally
bells

Since this was my first time mixing, I really wasn't sure where to start, but I knew of a vst plugin to use which I know to be fairly decent.
I used Izotope Ozone 3 for all my mixing.
The steps I took in mixing these tracks were:

First, I equalized everything till I brought out what I though the track needed. note: I never went into the negative dBs.

second, I added reverb to everything, as with everything I did on here, I tried not to go too overboard and just added as much as I felt neccesary to give the tracks a more life-like feel.

third, I used the loudness maximizer on tracks I felt turned out too quiet, or I decreased the gain margin to bring volumes of others down a bit.

fourth, I used a multiband harmonic exciter to bring out certain details of each track i.e. the rosin scrape from a stringed instrument.

fifth, I used a multiband dynamics function, which as I understand it, is some form of compressor, so I just tweaked it till it felt tighter and more brilliant.

lastly, I used a multiband stereo imager to add wideness to all the tracks. which I felt made everything sound bigger, like it should.

any input on what I did wrong or right would be greatly appreciated.
The main reason I posted this is to find out what a good way to start the mixing/master process would be. I would VERY much appreciate any help offered and I truly hope you enjoy the tracks.

furthermore, if you would like to try and mix them yourself I'd be happy to send all the individual dry tracks to see what kind of magic you guys can muster.

please help
Zac

hey zac,
I liked the ideas that you used in your songs. It sounded more like "Enya". Definitely my type of music. You know one problem is how you've tried to used the sounds. Normally, percussive sounds are easier to emulate, and that's why the best part of keyboards are normally percussion sounds and sounds like "pizz" and stuff, but when it gets to other articulations such as "legato violins" they suck. And a larg part of your song was strings movements. When the arrangements gets thick, it gets extremely muddy, even in the "dry" version. So you might rethink the voicing of those parts. But what i really wanted to ask you was that how did you bounced those individual midi tracks into audio, before you started the mixing process? Did you import the midi into your software sequencer first, and then sent the tracks into triton, or how...?

maelstrom191

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off,
thanks for the kind words bro. It means alot to me. i never think people like this s**t. myself and my buddies love it. Okay, so, about the string sounds from the keyboard being muddy, I really just used them out of necessity, I have nothing else to run them through, if I had the money I would've bought Vienna Symphonic Gold, but it's simply too expensive and beyond my means. One day though...
I'll either have that, or maybe the library that hans zimmer is rumored to have. *knocks on wood*
interestingly enough however,
the pizzicatos sounded f*ck*ng terrible when I first used them, it wasn't until I covered all the ranges(viola, violin, cello, etc.) that it started to shape up.
and what's weird, is the strings sounded great until the playback of the initial recording.
anyways.... on to your question.
it was actually very simple.
all I did was notate all the music in a digital music program called Guitar Pro 5, which does essientially the same thing as sibelius or other notation programs.
from there I set the banks and presets in guitar pro and exported the tracks one by one as midi files,
then I opened Sonar 7 and started a midi track, after that I imported the exported midi file into that track and set the track's output to be sent from my sound card into my keyboard,
then I went back into Sonar and opened audio track,
after connecting my 1/4 outputs from my keyboard to a stereo input on my sound card,
I set the audio track's input to the sound card input.
armed for recording and went to town.
that's pretty much it.

oh yeah, i did not start the mixing process until the entire song was recorded.
let me know if you have anymore questions.
hope I helped.

-Zac
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maelstrom191 wrote:
first off,
thanks for the kind words bro. It means alot to me. i never think people like this s**t. myself and my buddies love it. Okay, so, about the string sounds from the keyboard being muddy, I really just used them out of necessity, I have nothing else to run them through, if I had the money I would've bought Vienna Symphonic Gold, but it's simply too expensive and beyond my means. One day though...
I'll either have that, or maybe the library that hans zimmer is rumored to have. *knocks on wood*
interestingly enough however,
the pizzicatos sounded f*ck*ng terrible when I first used them, it wasn't until I covered all the ranges(viola, violin, cello, etc.) that it started to shape up.
and what's weird, is the strings sounded great until the playback of the initial recording.
anyways.... on to your question.
it was actually very simple.
all I did was notate all the music in a digital music program called Guitar Pro 5, which does essientially the same thing as sibelius or other notation programs.
from there I set the banks and presets in guitar pro and exported the tracks one by one as midi files,
then I opened Sonar 7 and started a midi track, after that I imported the exported midi file into that track and set the track's output to be sent from my sound card into my keyboard,
then I went back into Sonar and opened audio track,
after connecting my 1/4 outputs from my keyboard to a stereo input on my sound card,
I set the audio track's input to the sound card input.
armed for recording and went to town.
that's pretty much it.

oh yeah, i did not start the mixing process until the entire song was recorded.
let me know if you have anymore questions.
hope I helped.

-Zac

ok, i kind of do the same thing, only my set up is different. I use Finale instead. I do my arrangements in there, and then do he export /import ..

Yeah, i'm sure eventually you'll manage to use some decent sample libraries one day, but for now you could still improve your tracks.

So basically, after you imported your midi file into Sonar, then you render your midi tracks one by one using "triton" as your sound module right? ok, where you in sequencer mode, or program mode, or combi mode???

Another thing that i wanted to tell you was about panning. How did you work with that? when you import the midi file into sonar, do you remember if there was still a pan setting from guitar pro left on the tracks? Did you record your audio tracks in mono or stereo?

maelstrom191

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's cool dude.
it took me forever to figure out how to do it.
never heard of finale.
but yeah. you got it dude.
I use my TE as a module.
depending on which sound I want to use, I either record in program or combi.
but I had to f*ck with a few things on my board before it'd actually play them without going to the general midi sounds(which sound like CRAP)

all tracks imported from guitar pro were panned to center.
they were recorded in stereo, but I think only the backing strings tracks were panned, one left, one right.
Vim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd approach this differently.

divide the song into sections (arrangements0 and then select the key instrument in each section.

Decide on or visualise a height (EQ), depth (levels) and width (pan) image of the 'soundstage.' think of it in terms of : How are your instruments going to be positioned is the harp by the piano, are all the violins on the left ... naturally the violin pizz's and bowed lead melody violins should have the same pan position (because you do not expect the violinist to run over the stage when changing to pizz, stoccato, etc)

once you visualise where they are all going to be and how upfront each instrument is going to be your mix should basically become easier.

normally, i'd push up all faders and then pan the tracks until i get the 'raw width' that i want. then adjust levels to get the depth of the sounds ... is it coming from far (not so loud) or is the sound more upfront (louder). then adjust freqs so that the sounds do not clash.

sweeten with verbs and delays and choruses to effect
HTH
ex Marshall Islands
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in first there is no a right answer here because the results are always subjective and you can achieve them following many path... but...
ozone is a mastering plugin, you shouldn't use it for each track. So first try to understand the difference between mixing and mastering then find the way you prefer to work... anyway, if you run so many istances of ozone... what kind of CPU are you using!?!? Shocked
regards, Lorenzo
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the usage of Ozone as a mastering plugin.
BTW, you can use just some of its modules for every instance, make it behaving like a common mixing plugin.
Of course, it gives its best on the master bus Wink

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: