Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Play level ESX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanbekker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Play level ESX Reply with quote

I have made my own 256 mono sample kit for my ESX with the Wave Organiser software, but now I'm wondering how loud I must set the samples. They are now at 0db (instead of +12db), but as I'm hearing relatively much hiss, I'm thinking it's better to set all the samples at +12db. I have normalized all samples, so I am wondering if the ESX is going to clip when I do this.

After I have made the drums, I record every single part solo'ed so that I can EQ/Compress/etc on my pc.. The hiss is now building up with every part, so setting everything to +12db should help the hiss problem, doesnt it? Any opinions on this? What do you do to minimize the hiss?

I'm also going to order new tubes from thomann.de, but until then I want to minimize the hiss I'm experiencing now.

Help is much appreciated!

Merry xmas!

Stan
TrondC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ESX is noisy, so if you record from the output several times, you also record the noise evry time. changin tubes should help a little, but the ESX will always be noisy. I just record the stereo outs, so I rarely hear the noise. maybe some EQ/Filtering etc pre-computer can do the trick, I don't really know..

www.myspace.com/SiestaSubmarina
http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com
stanbekker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response! I guess I should use a noise removal plugin wth a preset made specifically for the hiss of the ESX, but that is not ideal because it also colors the sound of the samples. I'm going to experiment with the +12db setting, but I don't know if this makes the sound clip. Is it true that if I solo every part (with the +12db setting), that it doesnt clip? So when I play everything together on my pc, and all tracks combined start to clip, I can just turn each part down until the clipping is gone, right?

Am I thinking the right way?

Stan
justmull

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you record the outputs with the parts soloed (make sure they're soloed otherwise they'll clip) at +12db then yes you will reduce your noise floor. You're right not to use a noise removal plug. Also if you trim up your samples nice (provided they aren't loops) you'll be able to minimise the effects of the noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: