Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DrWho_Jan_Snow_Squall_Early_SpringMix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: DrWho_Jan_Snow_Squall_Early_SpringMix Reply with quote

Here is - OSAM3 # 12 - final tune for this session! Whoo Hooo! I made it! This is big for me as I was originally only planning on doing 6 tunes. It is true that a few of them are unfinished, but now that I have a break I can finish them.

So I present Snow Squall - thank heavens for Karma V2 - it rules. I finally upgraded my M3 to V2 Expanded, and fired up the Karma SW on the PC which sure was fun Smile This tune was inspired by sewa's Dec. tune - moog's Party.

http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/DrWho_Jan_Snow_Squall_Early_Spring_Mix.mp3
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drwho, it is such a priviledge composing and sharing and commenting with you and your great tunes. This one is great from the first note. I was going hurry hurry as the song was downloading because I always enjoy your pieces. What beautiful electronica this is. Those are really lusch chords coming up thru the mix and the plucky things really offset the sustained notes. Those bent notes sound like whales almost. I hate to say this, but this sort of thing would make a perfect soundbed for one of my vocal treatments. I'm attempting to do weirder and weirder Spacehog or Suede inspired music with intense pleading vocals from other worlds. We should collaborate sometime, if you do another one with just a bit more space for vocal, I could write lyrics and do my rappy snappy vocal over the top. Could be fun, but back to you...

I think this song is just a perfect ending to your 12 month journey. There is no doubt that you take your music seriously and work painstakingly to create a work of Art each time. And I do hear SEWA in here, sort of, though it's your own thing of course. Also, I am finally starting into Karma myself. I've been setting up my next track for karma, scrolling thru the presets until I find a nice combo with the program and the preset and then sequencing that section. Congrats to you here. I will miss you if you don't do another year, but don't be a stranger and if you post things in the Promote section and I don't see them, do PM me and give me a kick. Or if you work on your unfinished pieces, post the new versions so we can listen to them. Wow 12 months! Beer
album cover
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,

This is really enjoyable; I veritable smorgasbord of sound and blend.....!!!! in the storm of OSAM.... Very Happy WoW this was just neat all over...

I like the ascending notes very much ..and the background perc. is great.... The little "whizzzz" sound is just spot on..,. and very arresting! I also feel very much "in the sea" here......

BUT:

For me, the complexity of the rhythmic elements is what makes this almost a magic sound. It has things going on in the overall pattern of the beat, that defy reason....yet here they are!!!! What a great offering for us!

I have listened several times to try to identify the beat when you add the neat, partial beat accents... they are just grand...!!!

Thanks for this great tune... and you do know where to sign up again... Idea

John (ellll) Very Happy
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Art,

A fine finish to the year - I really like the way you've arranged this.
The almost incidental sounds that pop up here and there are so cool.
No matter how many times I listen to this it still seems to finish so quickly.
Excellent work!

Cheers Simon
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George - You flatter me - my tunes aren't on the same level as yours - that's fer ser. But they are of a different variety and variety is one of the cool elements of the OSAM. I always learn from your tunes.

Whales Laughing - Hey that was funny, umm .. but yea I never thought about it like that but yea - could be. I can assure you that no whales were harmed in the making of this song Smile

Now I have not heard of Spacehog or Suede music. What R U talking about man? Hold on, lemme Google it. Okay - Spacehog - 90's British band - pop sounding. Hmm .. don't get the connection to the whale sounds though ... Suede - sounds more English - and yea - a bit more spacey vocals. I only wrote one tune for vocals - but couldn't actually sing it though. I could try to write another one - doing spacey music is easy, loose form and all. I notice that your vocal tunes are more formal in structure. That will be a challenge for me.

I won't be doing OSAM 4, but won't be a stranger (at least not any strang-er than I already am Wink around here.

I'll PM you when I get some song concepts down and we can take it from there. A collab. would be rad!

Hi ellll - Glad you liked it. it took me 4 major sessions to piece it together. I seem to get saturated after a couple of hours and my progress tapers off rapidly. So it was good that I had enough time last month to work on it.

Hi Chordial - Yea - Karma wav seq. is awesome. I couldn't have done it with it!
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought for fun it would be interesting to take a spacey electro song such as this one, more or less, and see what some outer space lyrics might do for it.
album cover
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can write lyrics for this - go for it - I'm game - especially since I don't have to do anything Smile
botega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great piece of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so bouncy yet so relaxing - it's all in the amazing sounds and rhythmic parts, every single element in synthesis exists in this song - Squares, Sines, Triangles, Saws... it's all there and it's all perfect!

i feel mother nature in this masterpiece, i hear birds, wind, water...

that is an amazing ART...
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah, 'welcome to cyberville', a lovely combination indeed. That Korg digital crispness is simply irresistible, no matter Triton, M3 or Radias.

Undoubtedly the advantage of M3 is all that real time control that you have at your fingertips; you use it nicely and the tune passes by quickly without becoming monotonous for a second. The little improvisation is nice too, adding a bit of an edge to the otherwise smooth arrangement.

I noted George's comment about this being in my style a bit. Soundwise it definitely is but the execution is very much "surface tension" with 'LiteHouse' or A Space comming to mind.

By the way, I'm finalizing the 'links' section of my new website. Do you mind if I add the link to your soundclick page?

Sewa
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi botega and welcome to the OSAM club. I'll B sure to check out your tunes! Umm .. glad you liked it - although I can not relate to the nature part of your comment.

sewa - absolutely - please link away. The arps @ the beginning were inspired by your last tune, and actually the ending bit and execution is also inspired from a few of your tunes over the past year. I went back and listened to them again.

Please give us the link to your new website Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: