Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noobs question about EM-1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abadroza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Noobs question about EM-1 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have EM-1, Im new in this and I have little problem. I read all in manual, and didnt find answer, please help! Crying or Very sad

When tribe is in song mode, I dont know how to starts recording with some parts muted. I try to press record button, then with tap button mute all parts I want, then press play, but nothing happens, it records only changes after pressing play button. I know this option exists, because all demo songs use it.

I know the answer is simple, but i cant see it! Rolling Eyes
abadroza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum has a lot of members, come on, people, must have at least someone who knows the answer to this simple question!
Please help!!!
silverfilter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your post the other day. I just couldn't understand exactly what your problem is that's why the member's might have no clue on how to answer your query.

but to try... Song mode is composed of a combination of patterns so I guess the parts that are muted might be that of a copy of the pattern that doesn't have the information or data recorded or simply erased for that certain pattern to have the instrument not playing.

The EM1 doesn't record anything without pressing play AFAIK. Very Happy
abadroza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer, but it is not what I need. Crying or Very sad

I understand how the song mode works, I read all the manual and its all clear to me, but...

I have reviewed all positions in the demo songs. For example, in the Dream trance track in the first few positions is the same pattern, but each position beginning with some muted parts. Nothing is deleted, the pattern is there, with all the instruments, only some parts are muted. When I press the tap key, I can clearly see it.
I want to know how I can do it?
I do not want to make more patterns if I need only some parts of it.
I hope you understand me now, sorry if my english is bad. Rolling Eyes
TrondC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I rember from when I had an ER and EA-1, you can not save mutes to a pattern. so even if you mute some parts, save a pattern and then switch to a second patternd and back, the part will play with no mutes. are you sure the demo song is not playing different patterns, only say pattern A01 has only one part playing, then A02 has the same part playing plus another one etc, that's how I had to work around the inability for the EA and ER to save mutes (and I think only the ESX and EMX can do this) is this what you mean?

www.myspace.com/SiestaSubmarina
http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com
abadroza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are completely right, EM-1 can't save muted parts on pattern, its clear, but Im talking only about the song mode. I am absolutely sure that there is a only one pattern, when I switch EM-1 in the pattern mode, that pattern plays all parts, but in song mode track starts with just two parts solo, all other are muted. If I unmute all parts its plays all sounds just like in pattern mode.

So, my question is: When EM-1 is in song mode, how to starts recording with some parts muted? (but the way that when it is played back, its still stay muted)
chad9477

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an EM-1 for years and to the best of my knowledge, starting a song with parts muted isn't a capability it possesses. (That's one reason I switched to the EMX, which can do this.) However, there's a way around it that I used to use:

Copy the pattern you want to use at the beginning of the song to another location (from C.02 to C.01, for example). Then erase all of C.01's parts you don't want playing at the song's beginning. Start your song with C.01, then program it to switch to the full pattern (C.02) when you're ready.

Another approach I used was to copy it as above, but lower the volume on the parts I didn't want playing initially. This works well if you want to fade the parts in slowly rather than have them enter at full volume.

Hope this helps.
abadroza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok, I understand it, thanks for your help.
But what about demo songs? 3 of 5 demo songs use this option, it can not be a trick? Is Korg trick us? I think no. I hope no. Confused

There must be the correct way to do this, just like in demo songs! Crying or Very sad
silverfilter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried instantly pressing mute the moment it starts recording in song mode? that might do it. Would take perfect timing though but it's a start.
abadroza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried it (also tried to press at the same time), but in the moment when I record it sound ok, but when it is played back, first step is allways played, and after first step all parts are muted (or mutes are not recorded).
silverfilter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the beginning of your track you're having trouble with?
abadroza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is my the biggest problem, but its not only, same thing goes for the recording of all positions. What will happen when I want to put another pattern in song to starts with mutes? It will plays all parts again!
For examle, I put pattern A.01 on positions 1 & 2, after it I put pattern A.02 on positions 3 & 4. I want position 1 starts with synth part 1 solo, and positon 2 with no mutes. Now comes position 3 with pattern A.02, and I want it start with synt part 1 solo, and positon 4 with no mutes.
This example can be seen in Drum&Bass demo song.

For the previous thing I'll provide same example again:
Dream trance demo song starts with pattern A.39, synth part 2 and drum part 1 solo, all other are muted. It have perfect timing, mutes starts from step 1, and end on step 64. Now I can stop the song, and go to position 3 for exampe... same thing is there - pattern A.39, synth parts 1&2, drum parts 1,2,4&5 plays solo, other are muted, it have perfect timing again - mutes starts from step 1 and end od step 64.

To me it looks like it was programed, not recorded in standard way. But, I must say again - nothing else changed except the mutes.

I have to say that EM-1 is not my first drum/synth machine, but its first with record key.
chad9477

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed that about the demo songs...I bought my EM-1 years ago and I paid very little attention to them. Wink One thing I can think of is that the Korg guys composed those songs using some sort of editing software that allowed them to set the parts to mute initially.

You might look around online for EM-1 editing software. I never used it myself, but I'm sure I saw some available for free download in the past.

There's a Yahoo group dedicated to the EM-1...you might join it and look through the archives if you have the patience, and/or ask the members to point you in the right direction. It's not too active anymore, but look here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/KorgEM1/
abadroza

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your reply, and thanks for the link.

I think they wasn't use editor, it would be stupid to put something what it can not do to presents machine. Wink
And one more think, I do not want to use editor, because I'm sick of computer and editing music on it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In the meantime I worked hard to understand the machine, and I found the solution how they could do it. Its tricky, not so useful, boring, and stupid! Mad
I dont know, maybe its not the same way, but it works exactly the same like in demo songs, here it is:

Question what I want? I want to put pattern A.01 on position 1, with synth part 1 solo.

Idea What I did? I put pattern A.01 on positon 1 and positon 2! then press record, then press play. When position 2 comes I press solo key and synth part 1 key. So now position 2 starts with synth part 1 solo right from step 1. Pattern on position 1 is no longer necessary and it can be deleted with SHIFT+12 (delete pattern from song).
The same process can be used in all positions, so it can solve the problem in any part of song - beginning, middle, end.

If someone appears with the same problem, maybe this can help him. Wink
shabudua

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever! You gotta love the tribes...for almost every limitation, there's an ingenious workaround waiting to be discovered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: