Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help a beginner please. Buying a korg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korgyfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Help a beginner please. Buying a korg Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am looking for some professional help here and would appreciate any input you may have.

I am shopping for a keyboard for my house. I am not a musician, this is just my hobby. I am a beginner who is learning the keyboard, so I have many questions that I need answered before I buy a keyboard.

I've been researching for a long time, probably saw every singe (kidding) video on Youtube Rolling Eyes , but still don't have enough guts to make a decision on my own without professional help.

I am looking for either 73 or 76 keys unit. 88 is too heavy and 61 is too small. I also like a feel of a 76 key units vs 88 which have a piano-like feel.

My questions are:
- What is the difference between Workstation, Arranger and Synthesizer?
- I will not be recording music. I want however the ability to play midi files (sequencer??).
- I have been looking at several models of korgs:
a) Korg M50-73 (love the touchscreen + lightweight)
b) Korg TR76
c) Korg X50 (I wish it had 73/76 keys)
d) Korg PA500 (I wish it had 73/76 keys)
e) ....Roland Juno

- Is it suitable for a home use to get 61 key unit?
- What is the advantage/disadvantage of 61 vs 73/76 vs 88 keys piano?

I can afford any of these, but if the extra money is unnecessary I'd rather not spend it.
This is going to be my first keyboard, so I don't want to spend 90% of my time learning its programming abilities. I want to play; however, I want to buy something I will not outgrow in 6-12 months when I actually start playing way better than I do now. Embarassed

I will not be playing sonatas and other classics all the time, so I am not looking for a 88 key hammer action keys.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Best regards,
Karen
candlewick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, plenty of questions presented here. I will take a stab at a few. I have been playing piano for over 30 yrs. and had a keyboard or synth for 25 of them. I would think that a 61 note synth would more than likely cover your needs until the time comes that you are reaching for the highest and lowest registers in the same piece of music. I do a fair amount of synth work at church and for weddings, and have the 76LE specifically for various classical piano pieces that I cover. When playing in a band or ensemble situation, I could easily get by with 61 keys. if space is of no concern, and you don't plan on hauling the board around (in and out of the car). I'd definately spring for that extra octave. I 'm hauling mine to practices 2-3 times a week and still wish I had a second board (61 key) just cause I could fit it in the trunk of my car. I have a Triton LE76 which was replaced by the TR series, but anyone in the market for a first synth would be wise to give the M50 a good long look. For the price.................I might just snap one up in the 61 key version to make my life that much easier.

Happy Shopping !!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"I Need More Cowbell!!"
-Todd

TritonLE76,X3R, M50-61, TD6V V-drum module w/ Pintech Mesh Triggers
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help a beginner please. Buying a korg Reply with quote

korgyfan wrote:

b) Korg TR76
Karen

-from a straightforward point of view, you're in luck:
the Korg TR is almost identical to the X50, with only one or two more features and I think almost all if not completely the same sounds.

-The M50 is designed to replace the TR and X50, although they sound radically different - M50 is based on the newest korg technology. However, the keybed is different and lacks aftertouch sensitivity (not velocity, which is how hard you hit the keys, but instead aftertouch measures how hard you push down on an already pressed key, useful for bringing about vibrato or other effects when your other hand isn't free to operate the joystick).

don't know much about the PA series, it is an 'arranger' keyboard rather than a workstation. They are similar to the kind of yamaha and casio keyboards you see around. not to say that they are less featured, but they focus more on live performance.

A workstation is more what you will find most pro rock bands or almost all western pop/common music artists using, in studios, on stage, etc. most workstations are based on samples (recordings) of other instruments, which is plays back, although they also have some synthesizer like parameters. they are very flexible but do require you to do a bit more work than on an arranger if you are wanting to set up things on a live set (it is like the difference between using excel and writing your own computer program in some ways...)

A synthesizer allows you to design completely new sounds by changing a set of parameters, and other parameters that control how elements control the parameters. it all sounds technical but if you're into making new noises, then it is quite fun. for an example of a synthesizer see the Radias, Microkorg, MS2000, R3. Alesis Micron, Access Virus, etc...
I might also point out that synthesizers preceeded workstations and arrangers (although some may argue that the home organs were more of a predecessor for arranger keyboards). Most workstations can be considered synthesizers, as they usually are based on 'sample and synthesis', where you have some synth like parameters, but none of the hands on control or flexible sound sources - just audio samples. Workstations will typically also have a built in sequencer (the X50, though based on workstations of the triton range like the TR, is really more of a synthesizer, not because it has any different, more synth like parameters, but just because it has no sequencer), to allow you to build up sections and put together your own MIDI tracks.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
korgyfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh.... why there isn't just black and white, so I could just pick one? Rolling Eyes

Thank you all for your responses. I need to digest them all, as I'm still confused. Embarassed

I want to have a keyboard that will offer simplicity, as I don't intend to spend years learning how to assign certain sounds to certain keys.

RE: aftertouch sensitivity - that got me thinking. I would actually like to have keys where harder I press - louder it sounds.
Seems like M50 lacks velocity and aftertouch sensing feature and TR76 has them.

Believe it or not, but today I rented a Casio LK220 (there was nothing else) just to play with it and get a feel of 61 keys. It's not for sound comparison of course Laughing , but just trying to understand whether I should go with 61 or 73/76 as I initially wanted.
A friend of mine owns TR88 and I love it. The only issue for me is keys. Hard to play fast music since they are hammer action weighted keys.
At the same time, TR88 has a lot of features I'll never use. This is why I was thinking about PA500, as it's all prepared/preset for the user, so there is more playing and less tweaking.

Still too many questions in my head...

Thank you all again for your help. It does indeed gives me a better idea, but I need to spend a bit more time researching and hopefully someone else will help here with his/her input.

Regards,
Karen
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, there's next to no tweaking to play any of these keyboards out of the box. Switching between presets is really really easy. And if you don't want to use the more complicated features, it's easy to just ignore them until you actually need them.

As for keys: the M50 is velocity-sensitive, it just doesn't have aftertouch. Making a keyboard without velocity sensitivity nowadays would be shooting yourself in the foot as a manufacturer, unless you had a specific reason to do so (like making a Hammond B3 clone that would use a swell pedal instead of velocity for aftertouch).
korgyfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from KORG website:
73-key versions use a new semi-weighted Natural Touch keyboard

- What does that mean? Semi-weighted? I like the feel of TR76 or M3-61 keyboard. Is that the same or it's more like TR88 keyboard?

In regards to not using the features at the beginning - I agree.

A sales rep at the store was trying to sell me Roland Juno, but I haven't done any research on them as much as I did on korgs.
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-weighted would be between a synth-action feel and a weighted feel. I believe the M3 has a semi-weighted feel, although it's been 3 months since I tried one. It was more firm than the TR was, at least.

In general, the more weight the keys have, the more effort it takes to play them but the more expressive you can be. On a weighted keyboard, it takes more effort to play loud and quickly, but that also means that a softer touch will produce quieter sounds. On a synth-action keyboard, a softer touch will push the key down all the way more easily, so it takes less effort to play loudly but there's not as much 'room' for soft playing.

Really, get what you're most comfortable with, although I'd suggest semi-weighted as a good compromise; if you've only ever played synth action keyboards, you'll have immense difficulty if you ever tried to play a grand piano.
korgyfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, thank you! I guess semi-weighted keys would be nice to have.

I am Armenian and I'd like to be able to play armenian music. When I type armenian music keyboard on youtube, most of the clips show either Korg PA500-800 or PA2XPRO, or Roland units, but mostly Korg PA. These units are arrangers, but confusing is that they do have velocity and no weighted keys.

Boils down to the fact that I don't know what I need. Crying or Very sad That's sad, because I want to invest into a good system that will work for many years, and I want something I won't regret later once I get to understand the features.
Do I need a workstation or an arranger or a synthesizer?
Do I need 61 or 73/76 keys?
What do I need?
Maybe I need a guitar....... Laughing
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korgyfan wrote:
That's a good point, thank you! I guess semi-weighted keys would be nice to have.

I am Armenian and I'd like to be able to play armenian music. When I type armenian music keyboard on youtube, most of the clips show either Korg PA500-800 or PA2XPRO, or Roland units, but mostly Korg PA. These units are arrangers, but confusing is that they do have velocity and no weighted keys.

Boils down to the fact that I don't know what I need. Crying or Very sad That's sad, because I want to invest into a good system that will work for many years, and I want something I won't regret later once I get to understand the features.
Do I need a workstation or an arranger or a synthesizer?
Do I need 61 or 73/76 keys?
What do I need?
Maybe I need a guitar....... Laughing

sorry if i confused you before...
almost all keyboards have velocity sensivity these days. it is aftertouch that is sometimes lacking. both the M50 and X50 lack aftertouch. don't know about the PA series, but all of the above will respond to velocity (how hard you hit the keys).

I can agree that a semi weighted keyboard will give you the best of both worlds between a piano feel and a synth action feel. synth action is sometimes too responsive, it is much more difficult to play soft notes precisely.

A workstation or an arranger will probably be your best bet. I can recommend the M50 or the TR as they both give you plenty of room to expand, and an expansive array of sounds. although the piano on the TR isn't great...
If you are wanting complex backing tracks too ('styles' as i believe they call them) then go for an arranger.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
korgyfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Long & McQuade today and spent about 2 hours trying/playing pianos. M3-61, TR76, TR88, M50-88, PA588, all kinds of rolands and yamahas.
What I realized after 2 hours is that korg TR76 was good, but it gets boring after a while. TR88 is nice. M50-88 - didn't play much as it had the same keys as TR88. M3 has nicer than TR76 keys, but they get boring as well.
Today I think I started changing my opinion and understanding better in regards to what i want.
I rented TR88. I kinda liked the hammer action for some reason. After about 15 min of playing with it, I got used to the keys and was able to play fast music as well. I will play it before buying anything and then we'll go from there. I loved the TR sounds a lot. Very rich and bright.
Tomorrow I'll go there again and spend a bit more time with M50.
I think eventually I will see two pianos in my house. Smile One with 88 hammer action keys and another one 73/76 like TR76 or M73. Smile
korgyfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the feel of M50-88 keyboard and at the same time TR76 keyboard.
Should I keep the M50-88 or go for TR88 vs M50-73/TR76?
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a beginner please. Buying a korg Reply with quote

korgyfan wrote:
Hello all,

My questions are:
- I will not be recording music. I want however the ability to play midi files (sequencer??).
b) Korg TR76
e) ....Roland Juno

- Is it suitable for a home use to get 61 key unit?
- What is the advantage/disadvantage of 61 vs 73/76 vs 88 keys piano?

Karen

Karen here's some answers to your questions:

A synthesizer is capable of playing in 3 different modes:
Program mode: just one sound at a time, each with different effects... like when you just want to play a piano sound, you go into Program mode.
Combination mode: these are sounds that takes up to 8 programs and lets you control them all from the keyboard. Some combinations use programs that are layered on top of each other, some have one sound you can play with the bottom 2 octaves, and another layered on the next 3 octaves.
Multi-mode: If you are hooked up to a computer, you can play sequences through 16 tracks at a time. Each track would call up a program. If you aren't hooked up to a computer, you can't play any sequences.

A Workstation is the same as a synthesizer, it has Program and Combination mode JUST LIKE the synthesizer, except it also has SEQUENCE mode. Sequence mode is the same as multi mode, but it can play sequences by itself, without a computer. So you can take your sequences anywhere.

An arranger is a special kind of workstation, it has Program mode, but no Combination mode. It also has sequence mode, which incorporates styles which will give you auto-accompaniment. Most people prefer standard workstations for recording their music. If you do more time playing, and don't plan on recording your own music, I would steer clear of one of these.

All 3 can do this, but a synthesizer can only play back midi files when it is connected to a computer.

b) Korg TR76
e) ....Roland Juno

The TR76 is a suped up Triton Le - they added some extra sounds, and gave it a USB port, but other than that it is based on a keyboard put out 8 years ago.

Have you looked at buying a used Triton Extreme? It is one of the most COMPLETE keyboard workstations Korg ever made, and they are all over eBay. They have much better sound than the TR and X50, and the 76-key Triton Extreme keys are much better quality than ANY of these (similar to the M3). Also it has a Touch Screen, and comes in 61, 76, or 88-keys (with the RH2 Hammer action). By the way, the M50 and PA500 do NOT have aftertouch, so if you think that's something you would want, keep that in mind.
korgyfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314:

Thank you so much for such a complete reply. I will follow your advice and research Extreme. More I research, more I understand that TR is not for me.
I love the feel of M3 keyboard, and I decided to go either for 76 or 88 keys.

Will Extreme support M3 sounds? I was looking at M50 because of that.
What about the sound quality of Extreme? Is it like TR or M50/M3?

My spouse like to play fast music (latino, eastern, etc). What do you think would be the best option for her, 76 keys or 88 hammer?

....or I just sell my car and get M3-88

What concerns me a lot re: M3/Extreme/M50 is their huge display. It's nice to have, but what if it brakes? How much would repair cost?

Thank you so much again! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Triton Extreme is older than the M3, so it would not support the M3's sounds. But I have to say, I've had one for 4 years, and I'm not left wanting anything new on it. I honestly prefer its sound to the M3's, but some people wouldn't agree with me. You'd really have to hear the two yourself and decide. Both sound truly amazing. The Triton Extreme has the same synthesis engine as the TR, but the Triton Extreme has MORE samples in it, a better piano sample, a full orchestra expansion, etc.

The TR has 64 MB of sample data (that's the recorded instrument sounds)... The Triton Extreme has 160 MB.

Here's the M3's factory demo:
http://www.korg.com/services/downloads/mp3/M3/demo/S005_KARMAfied.mp3

and the Triton Extreme's factory demo:
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/ExtremeRA-bc0349b342a100d1d7ba018aaeb29a3b.mp3

and another one to show off the more classical side of it:
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/Leanbh_demo-f68c7b323799f4e90ef23095df43176b.mp3

Korg discontinued the Triton Extreme, but this site still has ALL of the demo MP3's originally from Korg's website, if you click on "Docs, Multimedia" it lists all the demo files.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORTRITEX61

Semi-weighted usually are a bit faster-responding than the 88 hammer-action keys, but I have heard someone say, you get "lazy" using the semi-weighted keys. Your spouse should probably try both out before she decides.

The M50 shares many of the M3's features and Sample Data, and if you want the same kind of sound as the M3, the M50 is probably the way to go. Just keep in mind, the M50's key-bed isn't as high quality as the M3 or the Triton Extreme. But I do think if you're considering the TR, buying a used Triton Extreme would SAVE you money, and you'd get a much better instrument. And yes, touch screens are expensive to replace/repair, but most people don't have problems with them. You just have to be careful with them. Mine's lasted 4 years now, and still works like new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: