Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't change PA800 style instrument in Sonar 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bratan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Can't change PA800 style instrument in Sonar 8 Reply with quote

For some strange reason I can't change Sound/patch of the existing track exported from PA800 into Sonar 8... If I add new MIDI track to the project, I can change instrument to and it plays correctly on PA800. But existing tracks seem to be "write protected" somehow. It let's me change bank and instrument, but plays same sound as was recorded originally Sad
Here's a list of actions I perform:
1. Create new style on PA800
2. Export it to SMF
3. Open SMF in Sonar 8
4. Select a track 12 (currently it's playing PAD sound)

5. Change Bank to 00 and Sound to Church Organ GM

6. Play, nothing changed! It still plays PAD sound.

Any ideas what am I missing?

Here more screenshots of track properties and instruments:

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't change PA800 style instrument in Sonar 8 Reply with quote

bratan wrote:
For some strange reason I can't change Sound/patch of the existing track exported from PA800 into Sonar 8...

Looks like the old program change information it's still there, that's why every time you playback the track, it takes you back to the old patch. Try this..open that midi track, and delete all the program change information first, ..and then insert the new information..then it should work.

Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bratan,

My suggestions:

First, please make sure that the display of program change numbers feature is enabled so you can see them in the display. To enable this feature, go to Global -> General Controls, then select the Interface tab, and tick the "Show Program Change" box, also ensure "Show Track Activity" is checked. Then do a "Write Global: Global Setup" from the drop down menu.

Now lets test this using track 1 and channel 1 from Sonar ... the example you showed was for channel 12 which is reserved for Style tracks on the Pa800, so lets get it working with the track 1 and channel 1 first.

In the default track view on the Pa800, touch the instrument section of the screen for track 1 to make sure the program change number on the display corresponds to track 1 channel 1 and not some other track or channel.

Now you can see whether the Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB or program change numbers are changing at all on track 1 channel 1 when you select a different sound from the drop down sound list from Sonar. They should change immediately. You should also be able to play the new sound on the Pa800 keyboard. If the numbers change but then revert to the original sound when you play the track from Sonar, then the problem is inside the MIDI file and you will have to edit it and delete any Program Change messages from inside the MIDI file.

If the Bank/Prog Change numbers displayed on your Pa800 do not change when you select a new sound from the drop down list in Sonar, then the other thing to check on the Pa800 is to go to Global -> Midi, select the Filters tab, and make sure that all the Midi In filters are set either to Off or to Sys Excl. Specifically, if any of them are set to PrgChange then this would prevent the sound from changing. Then do a Write Global: MIDI Setup from the drop down menu.

Also you have to make sure all the tracks are enabled (eg assigned to Player 1) on the MIDI configuration. Go to Gobal - MIDI, select the MIDi In Control tab, and make sure Ch01 is set to Ply1 Tr01, and Ch02 is set to Ply2 Tr02 and so on right through to Ch16 being set to Ply1 tr16. Then do a Write Global: MIDI Setup from the drop down menu.

There may also be an option somewhere in Sonar that might prevent or filter program change messages from being transmitted, but you will have to search for that yourself.

Once you have it working with Track 1 Ch1 (the keyboard track) then you can go on to the other tracks.

Best regards,
Rob
bratan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thank you so much!!!
It was an event inside the MIDI file, I just didn't know where to look.
Views->Events List (ALT+4)
This allows me to change patch right there, and it now works! Very Happy
romal-qaderi

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
Looks like the old program change information it's still there, that's why every time you playback the track, it takes you back to the old patch. Try this..open that midi track, and delete all the program change information first, ..and then insert the new information..then it should work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: