Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joe- 'Dreams' March OSAM '09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joet63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Joe- 'Dreams' March OSAM '09 Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Well here's my first song on the OSAM. This song originated at college where I was studying for a music degree, anyway I hope you enjoy it!

The song was written and produced by myself and music production students in college doing a music project. The song was performed by my fellow students at college and I think they have done a good job. Please be gentle with me as I'm in virgin territory. LOL

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Here's the link: www.myspace.com/joethompson63

Joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe!!!!!!!!

Great run here!!!!!!!!!!

Very strong 60's - 80's sound with all the goodies!!!Great sound and program, with many exciting sounds indeedddd!!

Seems just a tad too thick at times...; but the whole thing taken as you must have intended... is simply KILLER...! I will not comment on the i9nstruments, arrangement.....whatever... This is for LISTENIN...!!!!

Best tune I have heard in some time...!! Thanks!!!!

Regards John (ellll)
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, very nice track here!

There is great transition/progression throughout the song. I think the vocals can be a bit too loud at times, or the instruments aren't loud enough. JMO. I also think the strings should be louder when they come in.

Anyways...I really enjoyed this one. Thanks for sharing! Smile
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that piano run! Who is doing the vocals? It has a good pace and keeps going and I like the syncopation. thanks for the song!
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe

This is really good - the song itself and the overall production and everything. I like the way the harmonies move and..of course... Very Happy ...the piano part!!

Regards from
Dee
joet63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind comments, I agree with most of what you all have said, even I couldn't have put it better myself. The song came from my soul and well, it made me better to hear it from another perspective, someone else singing and playing it.

The band were:

Aileen on vocals
Jondi on keytar
Jason on lead guitar
Craig on rhythm guitar
Sinky on drums
Jason on bass
Sarah on b/vocals
Ross on b/vocals

Joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Stuff still, Joe,

Thanks one more time ... for letting us share a listen with you!!

John (ellll) Very Happy
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recording these productions is no easy feat, and you've captured it quite well, there are some issues with volumes but nothing that really distracts, I just love those power chords in the verse, it this is virgin territory, then we are in for a bumpy good ride in the months to come. I really find this enjoyable and moving. The ensemble aspect make this very exciting and I feel a bit of a voyeur, looking into the window of a grand event taking place. Nice job.
album cover
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is really an enjoyable listen indeed.
I love the song, Aileen has a beautiful voice, and the rest is all good also.
Very nice.
Sounds Good
Regards,
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
botega

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellow joet63

i enjoyed listening to this song very much the band are playing very good and i especially like the singer's voice

Good job
joet63

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi evryone,
Thanks again for your kind comments Very Happy
Everyone in the band did their bit to make the recording happen and well you've all heard the result. I'm really happy you all like my song, it was amazing to get it recorded in the studio at college and mastered as well!

I hope I can create as good a song next time!

Joe

X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed this. It does have a nice 70s rock vibe, quite simple in some ways.

I thought the vocals were unusual. not bad or wrong, just not used to hearing this kind of music with a female singer I guess.

regarding the actual production, it could definately do with some better mixing, mastering. It sounds quite muddy, and is mostly midrange. I'm not really hearing much bass, and not much highs either. It almost does sound like it's been remastered from vinyl like a lot of older recordings do (reminds me of listening to some of my old genesis LPs).
I think some of the instruments could gain a bit of clarity through a boost in the high end, whatever is coming through.

Regarding the structure of the song. Whilst it is good and enjoyable for its vibe, there is no real climax, or other arrangement interest (e.g. guitar solo, breakdown, etc...) and it is quite repetitive...

despite all this, I still found it a joy to listen to Very Happy
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
joet63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi X-Trade,
I will take your comments on board and try to do better next time. It does sound a bit muddy in the middle, and could do with some remixing and mastering, hopefully I will learn to do this myself and get better results. Very Happy

Joe

GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I enjoyed listening to this several times this month and had a few more comments:

I enjoyed this song a lot. My first thought is that I wouldn't expect to hear it on the radio, it's too good for that. It has a nice focused structure, although the dynamics of every verse chorus seems to be the same. Perhaps it could build more from beginning to end.

Also, I was hoping for another extended guitar solo at the end...the first one was good and I wanted more. If Ozzy was singing this, or maybe Stevie Nicks, you would be a rich man!
joet63

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham, Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you liked it.

Sorry for the delay in replying. One day I may go back and do another version, acoustic? I don't know. At the moment I have other songs that I am trying to get through the way of making, it's a learning process for me the production and stuff. Again I'm glad you all liked it.

Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: