Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

noob in desperate need of advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothrop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: noob in desperate need of advice Reply with quote

I'm conflicted as to where to post this, but i feel the 'new members zone' is most fitting, so bear with me here...

... here's the deal, i'm pretty much an utter noob at synths (and digital music in general). i'm trying to learn by browsing forums, but it can get overwhelming. despite this, i've been using my DS-10 (software for nintendo DS) for about a year now and i more or less understand how to use an analogue or MS-20 type synth

so here's where i really need help... I'm ready to take off my training wheels so to speak and get a real synth. and, yes, i know these forums are flooded with "duurrr what synth do i buy??" threads but I need help in regards to what the modern alternative to the MS-20 really is...

so, I'm prolly going to purchase the newest Acid (the only DAW i can afford atm) and that doesn't leave me with alot for a synth... I can't get a Radias, probably can't get an R3 or MS2000... so i'm thinking about getting a Micokorg or the Legacy Analogue collection, which leads me to ask this, with the microkorg can you patch? is there some virtual patch thing that pops up when you plug it into the computer or something? I know that's a really dumb question but i'm curious as to what it has to offer in the way of sculpting your own sounds.

or, more importantly, if anybody has any advice as to which direction i should go in general in regards to going with the legacy collection or microkorg, or going with something else altogether. (i've heard one or two horror stories about Legacy installation and using it as a VST)

again i know this is real amateur stuff here but i really need help.

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out Reaper, demo it first and pay $60 if it works for you : http://www.reaper.fm/index.php

Coming from the DS-10 I think you'll find yourself right at home with the MS-20 plug-in particularly. The analog collection on a powerful PC will give you more for your money than buying a microKorg XL, unless you really need a traditional synth in a box to play live with. Oh and the patching in the hardware synths is virtual and for MODULATION only, so it's somewhat different from the MS-10 / 20 vibe.

But before you buy all that ... check out some great free synths like Synth1 : http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/ or Crystal : http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/

Have fun making music tonight with Reaper & Synth1 for free ... they are powerful tools and experience using those will give you a better feel for what you might want to spend your hard earned cash on in the future. A decent controller keyboard, sound card, a pair of monitor speakers ... none of those things were on your list and key things to have too.

2c,

Daz.
Katamaritaco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about where you were and I went with the MicroKorg. It should come tomorrow, I'll post on here my thoughts when I get it Very Happy
slothrop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, thanks daz

i'm toying around with synth1 on reaper... a little over my head but i'll learn in due time. hopefully i'll be getting the analog collection soon and should be getting to business then
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: