Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

{sorta on topic} Anyone own an Elektron Machine Drum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gil videla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: {sorta on topic} Anyone own an Elektron Machine Drum Reply with quote

I love my tribes (ESX/EMX), often during frustrating times, however, I just wanna ditch the EMX. However, what keeps me comming back time and time again is the ease of use, esp with the Motion Sequence capability that allows to muck things up so much you never even thought of creating such a sound...

If you own an Elektron MD, are there functions like the recording of motion sequence data where you can edit each motion per step, like we are able to do in the step edit of the tribes???

Thanks
TrondC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a MD, but a Monomachine, which has identical sequencer features etc.
the Monomachine/machinedrum offers "motion sequencing" that totally blows the electribes out of the water. the famous parameter-locks let you hold ANY parameter per step, and you can also motion sequence just like the electribes, but you are not limited to a couple parameters per part.. you can have 64 parameters all moving if you want....and that's just on ONE part.

Also, applying the parameter-locks is as easy as it can be: press and hold the current encoder for a quick second and it's saved to the sequence.

don't know why you would want the Machinedrum to replace the EMX, as it is the Monomachine that is the most similar: 6 parts of monosynth, while the MD is 16 channels of drum synthesis (like the ER-1, only about infinitely better)

anyway, saving up (it was a looooooooooong and painful process) for the Monomachine was the best choice I've made in my 5 years of music making, it changed the way I work radically and it took my music a lot further than I would with the Tribes alone. I was so happy with my Mono that I've been saving yet another year to get the Machinedrum UW... it's expensive, but you get what you pay for, a lot more and then some. I'd keep a $1500 Monomachine over $3000 worth of "lesser" gear (1st gen tribes, MC303's, microkorg, boss pedals etc)

the only reason I'd ever keep an EMX over a Monomachine is because the Mono requires a little bit more work, and it can be difficult to learn how to use it. you simply have so many options that it will take some time to dig before it starts sounding the way you want.

here are some 100% Monomachine tracks I made, took about 2-3 hours each of jamming, then recorded each part seperately and about an hour each mixing levels etc in Reaper:

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/album/ghostmind

oh, and the Monomachine and ESX go very well together Smile

...if you are patient, you can pick up a MK1 Monomachine on eBay for 8-900$, which is such a steal I almost regret shelling out the full $1500 for a brand new MK2 model.. I found out later that the features are very similar (like the EA-1 and EA mk2, well, a little more different than those two..), so a MK1 Monomachine is still 90% identical to a MK2.. the extras in MK2 are pretty good tho...

www.myspace.com/SiestaSubmarina
http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com
gil videla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as many people have said the Electribes X versions are the poorman's options to the Elektrons (say it together - Electribe, Elektron they even sound related)

I would go ESX, MD, and MONO if I could:)

nice trax btw
TrondC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, bringing this one back, as I now got my brand new Machinedrum UW mk2 Smile I haven't had the time to learn very much so far, but I can tell that the possibilities are near endless with this box. I will do a more thorough review when I find the time to learn it properly Smile

So far, it can do TONS of things the EMX/ESX could only dream of (as the price tag suggests..), the sound shaping possibilities are wider than I could ever imagine, and I haven't even started using the UW (sample/resample) function yet. However, I think it won't fully replace the ESX, so I think I will keep both Very Happy

chad9477

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrondC -- looking forward to your review, as I've been considering expanding to a UW Mk2 for awhile but haven't gotten a strong enough impression from the floor models I've played with in stores. If when you write it you could do what you can to compare the Elektron not just with your ESX, but the EMX too, I'd appreciate it.
TrondC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I don't have an EMX, so I can't compare it that way sorry..

however, I can understand if you didn't like the MD if you only tried it in a shop. my monomachine took me maybe 10-15 hours before I got my head around it and went from making rather random, thin sounds, to full, rich, exciting never heard before textures. it's the same with the MD: you will never get a good impression just from an hour or two. on the Elektron-users forum, there is a known problem with "surface scratchers" who do not have the patience to learn the elektrons, and thus sell them in dissapointment. Electribes are instant fun, Elektrons are deeper and will take more effort to learn. once that's done, it is usually worth every penny.

gjvti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi monomachine users!
I recently looked into user manual of this beast, but from what I understand there is only 8x16=128 pattern slots and half of them are filled and it seems there is no way to backup these through usb or SD. How you monomachine users comment this? I used to have Yamaha QY20 sequencer, but dumped it just because of this reason - limited pattern storage. Now in my Ableton workspace I usually have some 10 to 20 patterns per song what means one pattern bank = one song on monomachine and in addition I usually have lot of unfinished stuff what I want to keep for further evaluation. So from this perspective monomachine seem very tight to me.
TrondC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never occured to me that storage could be a problem Smile

First off, the presets can be deleted, giving you 128 patterns total to work with. Second, you can definately back it up via usb. A MIDI to USB cable/interface should not cost you much, and lets you dump sysex (system exclusive) data from your monomachine to your computer, and vice versa. I always do a sysex dump when I have made anything new, as a backup. then when you have filled your 128 patterns, simply dump it all and save it as "Monomachine October 2009" or similar, clear the machine and make 128 new patterns Smile
the sysex tool is also brilliant for colaberations between monomachine users, for remixing etc.

then again, I never had space issues, I went from using 15-20 patterns per song on my electribes, but with the monomachine I tend to have 2-4 per song.

chad9477

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrondC wrote:
well, I don't have an EMX, so I can't compare it that way sorry.. however, I can understand if you didn't like the MD if you only tried it in a shop. ... Elektrons are deeper and will take more effort to learn. once that's done, it is usually worth every penny.

Cool, I've heard this from several people who've committed to the MD. Even though I don't know the ESX like an owner would, once you've wrapped your head around the MD it will still be really interesting to hear an in-depth comparison. I think the features/layout/sound processing on the 'tribes are similar enough to one another that it'd be valuable to the board to know just what additional capabilities an MD will net you.
TrondC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just realized I never actually wrote a review here, so here goes.

The Machinedrum exceeded my wildest imagination, and then some, I'll try to paint a picture as to why here.

first, the machinedrum is really logically laid out. within 20 minutes of owning it, I was able to make better sounding drum loops than after 5 years of owning the ESX. you have 16 drum parts that are all 100% assignable. inputting drum hits is just like the electribes (or x0x style if you will), be it live or step by step. then, you have the ability to tweak beyond your imagination. the cool thing is, that the Machinedrum really does consist of 15 or so individual drum synthesizers, each with their own set of parameters, in addition to the amazing filter and the superb sendable delay and reverb. This opens up for anything from subtle tweaking to complete alien sounds.

the P-locks.

now, we all love out motion sequencers on the electribes. the machinedrum (and monomachine too) takes this to the next level, by offering step by step, instant locking of any parameter at any step. want to move the pitch down 1 bit, the filter up 3 bits and the length of a snare 2 pieces for one specific hit? hold down the trigger key for that step, then oress down the encoder for the parameter you want to lock, and turn until you reach the desired value. it is a LOT faster than on the electribes, and the instant feel of it is very attractive, and makes for some truly alive drum loops. you can p-lock any parameter, and on every part.

then the sound

some complain that the machinedrum does sound a bit thin. those who say that have abviously never heard one live through a PA-system. I (and the audience), was physically shocked when the first bassdrum hit the speakers. even more so than your 808/909. it offers several bassdrums, kicks etc, organized in sample sets: the TR-X machines mimic the roland classics, the others range from 12-bit samples of old beatboxes etc etc. all in all, the widest range possible without actually using samples.
now, since everything in infinitely tweakable, you can modify to your hearts content. and from a big time former ESX user: the electribes really becomes toys next to the sound-shaping possibilities offered here. what sets the Machinedrum apart from other high-end drum machines/software, is that it is equally intuitive, quick and easy to shape your sound as your electribes. yes, it really is that instant, yet you can dive for hours if you want too.
I find the drum sounds pretty perfect, I can't think of a single thing I'd want different.
you even have the re-trig option (for samples), that at first might seem useless, but they are the only way to get, say 6 hi-hat hits over 4 steps for that 6/4th feel.

the master fx

delay and reverb. it works similar to the tribes, in that you have 1 setting for each of the fx, globally. then you can send as much as you want of each drum part into each of the fx. you can of cource p-lock this as well, meaning you can have one snare hit going a little bit more intor the reverb as the others etc. same with delay. The delay is also very modifyable, you can apply some LFO-action on several parameters, meaning you get very dynamic and sometimes chaotic sounds out of it. Sounds beautiful, and makes me laugh to think I once love the ESX delay.. (still good, but pales comared to this)

there is also a master EQ, that is fun to shape the overall mix. I got tipped on how to set it so it mimics the sidechain-effect that defines the sound of loads of modern dance music (Deadmau5 is a good example), in that the sounds "pump", by having any mid and light sounds "duck" (suddenyl drop in volume) whenever the kick comes in, and equally comes back to full volume rapidly afer the kick sound decays. lovely to say the least, the electribes can't even come close to this without heavy outboard processing. this does it in the box, making it AWESOME for live use.
then there's the Dynamix processor, that I don't quite know how to use, but it can give some nice overall processing to the whole mix. kinda sets the colour for the main mix.

so. what more.. what's funny is that even after ca 5 months, I haven't started using the UW (sampling) engine, simply because the normal engine is so darn inspiring. excperienced used praise the UW function, all I've done is using a pre-set synth chord sound. absolutely stunning how much I can change one sound. that one sample appears in4 of my last 5 tracks, but you can't hear it's the same unless I tell you...

then, the FUN and just ridiculous stuff: the ctrl machines.

you also have option to select control machines instead of slound producing ones. by ctrl-machines, it means you get for example one page with 8 parameters. turn an encoder, and the coresponding edit option changes for ALL parts at once... this means, you can have for example the decay of ALL sounds to increase or decrease at the turn of a single knob. you can send all tracks into the delay/reverb, you can filter them all, apply sample rate reduction or distortion, LFO's etc. can lead to the most alien techno/IDM music imaginable, here's a nice video that shows some crazyness made LIVE, and still sounding good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtxX0VEpMSI

using the crtl-machines makes for some wicked transitions a well, just send everything into the delay while you tweak the reverb and filter at the last bars of a build-up. the audience won't know wtf just happened Wink

there is also the option to gate incoming sound to the two seperate mono inputs (meaning if you want stereo, you need to have two mono parts playing back Input A and Input B, thenpan accordingly) and send this through the filters, effects etc.

finally, it just sounds so crisp and clean compared to the ESX, which was noisy as hell. character, yes, but noisy, and ultimately making everything I did sound like it was recorded onto tape (and no,not in a good way)

wow, just read on the elektron website, seems I was wrong: it does not contain 15 individual drum synthesizers, it contains "130 x Individual MD Machines"... so you'll be busy forever tweaking this.

so, the final verdict? too good to be true, really. if you don't mind the 32 step limitation of the 1st generation ones, you can pick up a non-UW machinedrum for under $800 on eBay, which is going to blow your minds. two years back, I'd say "nah, for $800 I'd rather have ESX+EMX", but I'm so happy with the MD, it goes whereever I want it to, it does so quickly, intuitively and it's all fun at the same time as it is making all the music I've envisioned making finally possible.

don't get me wrong, the electribes are inspiring, fun and brilliant instruments, but if you've got the money, there is nothing that even compares out there.

below are 4 tracks that are 95% Machinedrum only. track #1 is 100% machinedrum, the others are all machinedrum except basslines and some pad sounds. each track took maybe 2 hours to make, and another 2-3 hours to practice, arrange and record. all live takes with just a little planned arrangement going on, most transitions etc are improvised, going to show how capable the machines is to transfer your mind onto the sound you want, right there and then

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/album/kolibri-ep

enjoy Smile

Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrondC wrote:

don't get me wrong, the electribes are inspiring, fun and brilliant instruments, but if you've got the money, there is nothing that even compares out there.

Damn you, TrondC - I've just got an ER1mkII (to go with my EA1mkII and ESX) and it arrived today ... now I don't want it any more! Wink

TrondC wrote:

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/album/kolibri-ep

enjoy Smile

Nice stuff!

Thanks for the in-depth review. I'd heard about the p-locks and wondered why everyone liked the MD so much, so thanks for explaining what you like about it.
TrondC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, sorry :p the ER is still a very capabel piece. I went from ER to ESX to the machinedrum, over a period of 5 years. took over a year to save enough for the machinedrum, but for me, it was worth it Smile

enjoy your ER-1, it's really amazing for it's price rangre anyway Wink

chad9477

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrondC wrote:
below are 4 tracks that are 95% Machinedrum only. track #1 is 100% machinedrum, the others are all machinedrum except basslines and some pad sounds.

Nice review, man. Thanks for taking the time. If you don't mind a followup question (maybe answer after you've started to explore the sampling feature):

One of my main worries about the Machinedrum is that it will be an amazing drum machine but won't provide the synth voices I can get in a groovebox that is also designed to make pads and basses, like the EMX is. (I notice that you used your Monomachine for those sounds.) I can't afford both, sadly (will be lucky if I can afford even one of them!) Confused but I'd like to know whether I could sample some chord hits and bass tones with the MD, and work around this limitation that way. I'd be a lot more inclined to drop some money on the MD if I knew I wouldn't also need to drag a synth around with me all the time.

It sounds like you *can* work around it based on what you say about the preset chord synth sound, but I just want to be clear...any thoughts? Thanks again!
TrondC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Machiedrum can very much be used as a standalone groovebox. the first track in the EP I posted, is 100% Machinedrum only, inluding bassline and the two chord samples. I know others who make full dubsetp albums with a machiedrum UW only, so it is very possible.

The monomachine actually gets very little use in the tracks I posted.

1. Kolibri: 100% Machinedrum. bassline is a pure sine wave (from the internal synth engine), the pads are from the sampler section

2. Komodo Dragon: monomachine for bassline (just to save one part on the MD, as I could have made the exact same bassline on the MD), 1 filtersweeping pad sound, and the bit-crushed tones.

3. Koala: 100% Machinedum, again, the bass is Monoimachine, vut the main pads are from the Machinedrum. the sine tones that doubles the bassline only 2 or 3 octaves up are alos monomachine, simply for the delay option only. the intro and outtro bass hits are MD samples pitched an P-locked.

woops, bus leaves in 3 minutes, will write more later ;D

gil videla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what do you do with the ESX now???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: