Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Vista editing Software for the PX5D??? Please Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickmatty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Windows Vista editing Software for the PX5D??? Please Help? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if software is available for Windows Vista and the PX5D? I find it rediculous that Korg does not have editing software available that is Vista compatable. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.
fretboard12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista editing Software for the PX5D??? Please He Reply with quote

nickmatty wrote:
Can anyone tell me if software is available for Windows Vista and the PX5D? I find it rediculous that Korg does not have editing software available that is Vista compatable. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.

you can try to set the compatibility to run it in vista under windows xp
right click application go to properties, compatibility tab set to windows
xp might work for ya.
nickmatty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already tried that. It does not work. Korg should have had a Vista version out by now. There is no excuse.
eddycurrents

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working under Windows 7. I had to do a couple extra steps over Win XP. This may work for you for Vista.

(1) I tried installing the driver first and it said "device not plugged in". So I plugged in the PX5D and it immediately started looking for two drivers. Two?? So I canceled it, but it only canceled one driver installation. I tried installing the Korg driver and it said basically "wait until device manager is done". After a few moments Windows finished installing a driver (just one).

Then I installed the Korg driver. Now when I look at Device Manager under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" I got "PANDORA PX5D" and "KORG PANDORA PX5D". I think the first one is the one Windows installs.

(2) I started SoundEditor and I got the famous message:

"Dump receive is not available"

I googled this error and no one seemed to have a solution so I did some fiddling. I went to the little white window, the one with the menus on it, and under MIDI I selected Midi Setup. It brings up a popop window. I selected MIDI IN and MIDI OUT to be "Pandora PX5D 1 Ctrl In" and "Out". Then clicked Make Default and Ok.

I restarted Sound Editor and no error message, and it pulled in all the patches and chains from my PX5D. It's working now.

FYI this step is in the manual but it doesn't mention the error message.

I went back to Device Manager and deleted the device "PANDORA PX5D" but I left "KORG PANDORA PX5D". Sound Editor still worked fine. But the next day I plugged in my PX5D and Windows installed that device driver again. It seems to work fine either way. I guess it's easier just to leave it alone but if you have problems try removing the first one (the Windows one).
nickmatty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: I just gave up and sold my PX5D! Reply with quote

Trying to get the editing software to work with Vista would never work for me. I emailed Korg and they said it should work fine? If that is true then why are so many people having issues? I decided it was not worth it and sold mine on ebay. I really tried to get the PX5D to work. I can't believe Korg would put out a program with editing software that will not work with Vista. They don't have the greatest customer service either.
eddycurrents

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more looking for an updated driver. I went to the UK Korg site, and it is entirely different than the .com site. It isn't nearly as polished. However, for PX5D they have a newer version of the Software Editor! It was released in August but still hasn't made it to the .com site. It looks like it has a couple of major big fixes. Seriously, wth?

http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/page.cfm?pageid=629

The text says you need version 1.11 of the USB MIDI driver. There is no direct link to this driver, you have to go to the Downloads / Drivers section and stumble around.

So you go here, and it doesn't say which driver you need! This is the most confusing crap site I have ever seen:

It starts with Old Windows Drivers and Old Mac OS Files, which presumably you ignore. These should go at the bottom of the page not the top. In fact, most sites hide them in a separate link so you don't download them accidentally.

Then you have Assorted USB Drivers. Then you have Windows XP and Vista. But Assorted Drivers also has drivers for XP and Vista. So which one is it?

The descriptions on this page are skimpy and in questionable English, but reading between the lines, it looks like the Windows XP and Vista section is only for NANO products, whatever that is. I tried this driver and it said "device not connected".

So I went back to the Assorted USB Drivers. It has versions 1.10 for Windows XP and version 1.11 for Windows XP / Vista. There is no mention of actual products here, so you have to guess. I have Windows 7 which is Vista-ish, and the software editor clearly says you need version 1.11 of the USB MIDI driver. Seems clear enough.

So I downloaded and installed that driver. I got "device not connected". Again, wth?

One clue is that the driver for 1.11 says it's for USB 2.0. I don't think the PX5D supports 2.0 because I don't see that anywhere. So I went back to my old 1.10 driver and installed that. The new software editor seems to work with this driver, despite what the site says.

The Korg PX5D is a great unit. But their software release policy and their website sucks. How many people are returning their PX5D because they can't get it to work?
eddycurrents

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@matty: you should dump Vista and get Windows 7. It runs faster, has better compatibility, and isn't so bloody annoying. It has its own annoyances but not so many.
CJPJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vista and I just downloaded software from http://korg.com/uploads/Download/PX5DSE_Win_1_01_633710025558440000.zip and set the midi in and out to the Pandora and it works fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: