Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question from potential buyer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TommyBuoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Question from potential buyer Reply with quote

Hi guys, it seems that the MS is really fun, and quite powerful, but with a few annoyances that some people either can or can't live with. I'm thinking about getting one, but I was wondering if it's possible to put it in sample mode and have the 1st octave as drum hits / fx, the second octave as a bass sound (spread by leaving some keys empty), and the third octave for playing chords (spread by leaving some keys empty), plus set the pattern keyboard sample to a lead sound for the melody?

If that works then I could record drums, bass, chords and melody without necessarily needing to get into resampling.

My main requirements for a tune making device are something reasonably small and self contained that doesn't need to be plugged into any other thing, that does pattern based sequencing, sampling, and isn't a laptop / software approach. The MS seems to fit the bill, along with an MPC 500 perhaps, but the Korg seems a better, more creative workflow.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your input!
softroom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, have done a few tracks that way. Having to work around the limitations is a good thing, truly. Smile
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the empty keys (pitched) register as actual samples. And the MS pitches it to the left keys, making the lower pitched notes stretched out -sounds like someone slowing down a record. Might be better to go ahead and sample each of the notes (bass and chords) you'll want to use, since one shots don't take up much sample time anyway and will occupy the same keys. Even better because you're not limited to half step notes. And with chords, you'll probably want a mix of major and minor hits anyway.

Plus, I'm still not sure if the ghost pitched keys feature is made that way or if its a bug, since its not mentioned in the manual.
TommyBuoy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering that a second hand Triton LE might be better value, with similar capabilities+
shabby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been the owner of a triton...... it is just not a loopmachine.. i mean it has all the right functions, just not the right touch...
TommyBuoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabby wrote:
ive been the owner of a triton...... it is just not a loopmachine.. i mean it has all the right functions, just not the right touch...

As in less spontaneous / fun?
Do you use your MS with other stuff or on its own? I would quite like something I can mess around on and make simple stuff with, but don't want it to be too limiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: