Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tips and suggestions for OS update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl wrote:
i concur. the ipod touch is very versatile. however go tell mpc or sp users they don't need hardware anymore.

all i'm saying is this is a great piece and if we actually compare apples to apples then it's worth the price and then some. now if we're comparing to computers plus software (which is what ipod touch is really) then yeah the ms-1 has a long way to go.

Im an mpc owner myself man ... we need outboard gear forever of course! But pleeease try to understand that the ms is just a software (not one of the best of course) into a plastic case (a cheap one n the mic and the keys are low quality anyway) so i think this is not off topic coz were asking for an OS UPDATE ... apples to apples ...
MarsHottentot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl wrote:

let's set some things straight.
*It wasn't rushed for Christmas. I bought mine in Japan months ago.

Rushed to NAMM, perhaps? This still doesn't change anything. It 'feels' rushed to me. I mean, look at the state side 'promotion'. Does Korg US have any clue as to who to sell this to? If their videos are to be taken as any indication, they seem to think it's PERFECT as a simulated human beatbox! Had I not checked out the awesome Sonic LAB video, I doubt I would have picked one up.

jbl wrote:
*msrp is always higher than actual price. anyway, the price is actually quite reasonable given it's functionality.
*there would be nothing wrong with this as your main gear (people are spoiled and when they have so much they often lose sight of creative process, but that's a different topic).

When speaking to functionality, I'm talking about dollar for dollar what does the MS offer you. In that respect, it is seriously lacking when compared to other Korg products from 10 years ago in the same price range - the ES-1 specifically. Of course, it's ALL about creativity, poor folks need it otherwise we'd never get any music made. I still use a Mirage and a Roland S-550, and my main piece is an EMAX II so I really don't consider myself 'spoiled'. Sorry, I know what you're saying, but it certainly doesn't apply to me. In fact, I'm kind of offended LAWLZ!

While there has been plenty of straight up MS bashing, I don't think that constructive criticism qualifies. Your opinion may differ but I feel my points are valid and, over that, some are things that I'd like to see addressed in a firmware update.

And, again, while I still haven't received mine yet, I KNOW I will love it for what it is - maybe less so if I paid the full price (I'm getting mine 'hardly used'), but still some kinda love.
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtag wrote:
jbl wrote:
i concur. the ipod touch is very versatile. however go tell mpc or sp users they don't need hardware anymore.

all i'm saying is this is a great piece and if we actually compare apples to apples then it's worth the price and then some. now if we're comparing to computers plus software (which is what ipod touch is really) then yeah the ms-1 has a long way to go.

Im an mpc owner myself man ... we need outboard gear forever of course! But pleeease try to understand that the ms is just a software (not one of the best of course) into a plastic case (a cheap one n the mic and the keys are low quality anyway) so i think this is not off topic coz were asking for an OS UPDATE ... apples to apples ...

is the mpc also just software in a box then? maybe i don't understand. i always thought hardware was dedicated to one thing and being so; different from software but maybe not...

Last edited by jbl on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarsHottentot wrote:
jbl wrote:

let's set some things straight.
*It wasn't rushed for Christmas. I bought mine in Japan months ago.

Rushed to NAMM, perhaps? This still doesn't change anything. It 'feels' rushed to me. I mean, look at the state side 'promotion'. Does Korg US have any clue as to who to sell this to? If their videos are to be taken as any indication, they seem to think it's PERFECT as a simulated human beatbox! Had I not checked out the awesome Sonic LAB video, I doubt I would have picked one up.

jbl wrote:
*msrp is always higher than actual price. anyway, the price is actually quite reasonable given it's functionality.
*there would be nothing wrong with this as your main gear (people are spoiled and when they have so much they often lose sight of creative process, but that's a different topic).

When speaking to functionality, I'm talking about dollar for dollar what does the MS offer you. In that respect, it is seriously lacking when compared to other Korg products from 10 years ago in the same price range - the ES-1 specifically. Of course, it's ALL about creativity, poor folks need it otherwise we'd never get any music made. I still use a Mirage and a Roland S-550, and my main piece is an EMAX II so I really don't consider myself 'spoiled'. Sorry, I know what you're saying, but it certainly doesn't apply to me. In fact, I'm kind of offended LAWLZ!

While there has been plenty of straight up MS bashing, I don't think that constructive criticism qualifies. Your opinion may differ but I feel my points are valid and, over that, some are things that I'd like to see addressed in a firmware update.

And, again, while I still haven't received mine yet, I KNOW I will love it for what it is - maybe less so if I paid the full price (I'm getting mine 'hardly used'), but still some kinda love.

i don't live stateside so i wouldn't know about advertising nor do i have any idea how korg runs it's business. so maybe you're right that it was rushed???

however, i looked at the specs for the es-1 and beyond it being a different kind of "toy" it doesn't seem to blow the ms-1 out of the water by any stretch. unless you're talking about song mode which the ms-1 lacks.

so much for staying on topic Confused
smidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic, I have my microsampler since 3 days or so and before that I had a roland sp 555 which dissapointed me in several aspects :

- impossible to sample during playback (huge drawback, even with the resampling tip which did not give solid results).
- impossible to slave the loop sampler to the midi clock (big dissapointment, the loop sampler being the only convenient way to loop sample on the fly and eventually store the result)

It had good points compared to the microsampler : controls were much more intuitive, backlighed pads were also convenient, and storage was huge upon using CF extension cards.

I think the microsampler has a huge plus : the ability to sample while playing samples (yo dawg) and even sample while playing samples with the pattern sequencer, the latter being lockable to the midi clock. This makes the microsampler a useable piece of gear in a live context.

Most of the possible enhancement that have been tackled here are in my wishlist, but I can add another one :

-In pattern recording, when the click is disabled there is no pre recording measure. WTF? Do I need to play my samples right upon rec button pressure just because I dont want to be annoyed by the click? Bars are being displayed on the screen so there is no problem letting the user choose between one, two or three measures pre recording. Choosing the volume of the click would do the trick.

Then again, I think that this machine is not without limitations but its very useable and most of the drawbacks can easilly be fixed in an update.
jtag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the mpc also just software in a box then?

yes it is but a good one
jtag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... especially when it comes to JJos ... i think KORG is not goin to make any serious update for this TOY so atm its good just for samplin on the fly, a bit expensive for it ... i better sell mine now before people understand how useless is the MS ...
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you should sell it if you don't like it. that's what i did with my mpc1000 w/jjos. i just didn't enjoy using it, i know it's so great to many loyalists but it just didn't cut the mustard for me. mpcs are very nice and work well for some but i personally feel the ms-1 is more an sp replacement than a mpc replacement (that's what the mv's are for, no?)

maybe I'm wrong but i don't think either machine runs software in the sense you seem to be implying. they have a program that runs the machine but it's a dedicated system which is why you have no lag: ie. press a button=hear a sound.
jtag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl wrote:
yeah, you should sell it if you don't like it. that's what i did with my mpc1000 w/jjos. i just didn't enjoy using it, i know it's so great to many loyalists but it just didn't cut the mustard for me. mpcs are very nice and work well for some but i personally feel the ms-1 is more an sp replacement than a mpc replacement (that's what the mv's are for, no?)

maybe I'm wrong but i don't think either machine runs software in the sense you seem to be implying. they have a program that runs the machine but it's a dedicated system which is why you have no lag: ie. press a button=hear a sound.

Yes you're wrong, its just a software (os!) in a box, the fact that its a dedicated machine doesnt imply any different sense ... im not a loyalist (i use the akai os, no jj) and im not looking for a replacement anyway. I personally feel that the ms1 cant even replace an sp ... obviously just my 2c
kh4os

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

Some more...

-Attack time and in loop mode too, in this way we can create smallers samples.
-Record the FX changes when we record a pattern. Not only parammeters, the fx type too.
-When i try to resample what i am going to play with keyboard mode it changes to sample mode.
-Mute function recorded in pattern mode. I want to save my pattern with all muted.
- I have microsampler as slave, EMX as master. When i click play in emx, MS start to play the first pattern. I want to start the pattern when i want. A mode to change this.
-When you record a pattern in keyboard mode is ok, but if you change the keyboard selector, the pattern reproduce the new keyboard selected instead the recorded one..So at this moment you can't create a pattern with 2 diferents keybooards.

Last edited by kh4os on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
ak
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to make a partial loop.

Attack, starting point and ending point per loop.

To be able to change the Pitch bend range.

KELFAR SOUND LIBRARIES @ Korg Shop
KORG KRONOS SOUND LIBRARIES
Korg M3 World Music Set

Korg M3 and Kronos
beatifictatter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that for live use the two-handed menu selections are a real hinderance and can easily result in things going wrong....they're also annoying in studio work....

seems to me that the 'ipod docks' are a waste of space right now....my ipod touch just falls over in them anyway?!? great.

my suggestion is to make a super cheap midi-in peripheral....the base of which slots in to those two pointless holes....

the extra buttons that would be most useful to me when playing live would be:

bank buttons....having to wait for the banks to change is bad enough but needing two hands and the annoying sunken dials in the middle of a gig to change them is a real pain if playing another instrument or vocals....

fx edit. again, the two hand/finger combo to get in to this setting is a pain when working on the fly.

two simple parameter up, parameter down buttons. it can get fiddly with the knobs.

so i'm basically suggesting an add-on with about 15 buttons, they dont have to be huge and there's plenty of room anyway (and maybe three rotary knobs also that control the a and b fx parameters plus select which fx is chosen....the sunk dials annoy me, cant get a good twist on them sometimes.....), that send midi signals to the microsampler and save users from having to use the two hand menu combos so often...it would make the machine MUCH more spontaneous feeling (i love the way my sp-404 fx and bank changes are all there to hand......) and more practical for live use.....

pretty sure something like that could be manufactured for a street price of around £25? only has to be very basic....

just an idea and unlikely to ever be made but it would make the microsampler much easier to get on with....
softroom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like an option in the editor to export all wavs from a bank in a single operation. Been using the Microsampler to create lots of fun loops but I want to use them in Logic and it takes a while going through each individually.

Pretty please Mr Korg? Smile
kh4os

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Import multiple samples Reply with quote

In the line of previous message. It would be good to import multiple samples at one time, and place them every one in one different key.
jtag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good to get some QUICK update from Korg ... u already can find a lot of 2nd hand MSs for nothing around, this piece of gear will be def dead in a couple of months ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: