Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I change the assignment of the Mod-wheel of the Ms2000b?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pisquano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Can I change the assignment of the Mod-wheel of the Ms2000b? Reply with quote

hi there
is there a way I can assign the mod wheel to different parameters other than the LFO2 and cutoff?

I read the manual and tried all the menus, but I can't seem to find any option to change the routing

thanks
Federico
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use virtual patches. Virtual patch allows you to assign any modulation source to any destination.

By default in an init patch the mod wheel controls Vibrato through the Vibrato Intensity parameter.

it is like having a hardwired virtual patch where LFO2 is routed to pitch, and the intensity is set by the modwheel up to a maximum amount set by the Vibrato Int parameter.

you can do other things in addition to this by routing for example modwheel to LFO2 rate (I like doing this with an intensity of -10 - so the modulation gets slower at higher modwheel settings), or to cutoff, pan, osc2 pitch, anything!

Obviously setting the vibrato int setting to zero will stop the vibrato but anything set in virtual patch still works. so programs where cutoff is used, will have one of the four virtual patch slots set to source: mod wheel, destination: cutoff, intensity: x

you could change that destination to any of the other parameters to see modwheel affect something else.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
pisquano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
You use virtual patches. Virtual patch allows you to assign any modulation source to any destination.
thanks very much!
but....how do I do it? how do I assign a new parameter with the virtual patch?
among the options of the virtual patch should i use midi 1 or 2?

By default in an init patch the mod wheel controls Vibrato through the Vibrato Intensity parameter.

it is like having a hardwired virtual patch where LFO2 is routed to pitch, and the intensity is set by the modwheel up to a maximum amount set by the Vibrato Int parameter. but can this be canceled?

you can do other things in addition to this by routing for example modwheel to LFO2 rate (but how do i do this? where do i select the MW in the virtual patch?) (I like doing this with an intensity of -10 - so the modulation gets slower at higher modwheel settings), or to cutoff, pan, osc2 pitch, anything!

Obviously setting the vibrato int setting to zero will stop the vibrato (so unless I do it the mod wheel will still affect vibrato, on top of the other parameters I assign?) but anything set in virtual patch still works. so programs where cutoff is used, will have one of the four virtual patch slots set to source: mod wheel, destination: cutoff, intensity: x ?????? Embarassed Embarassed Crying or Very sad
you could change that destination to any of the other parameters to see modwheel affect something else.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intensity is how far the parameter is varied by the patching. For example routing modwheel to cutoff with a intensity of 10 would mean that the cutoff would be about 10 higher than that set in the filter settings when the mod wheel is at full.

I had a microKorg, they are virtually the same but I guess it must be MIDI 1 or 2.
If it is not mentioned in the manual I guess the best thing to do would be to try it - route a virtual patch to pitch or cutoff or something else fairly obvious and play with it whilst changing the modulation sources.

and yes, as I said the Vibrato Int is like its own hardwired virtual patch. you can route as many sources and destinations to the same thing in virtual patch. if you don't want vibrato on the mod wheel set the vibrato int to zero.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
pisquano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
The intensity is how far the parameter is varied by the patching. For example routing modwheel to cutoff with a intensity of 10 would mean that the cutoff would be about 10 higher than that set in the filter settings when the mod wheel is at full.

I had a microKorg, they are virtually the same but I guess it must be MIDI 1 or 2.
If it is not mentioned in the manual I guess the best thing to do would be to try it - route a virtual patch to pitch or cutoff or something else fairly obvious and play with it whilst changing the modulation sources.
ok so you suggest to go hit and miss, but most likely it should be midi 1 or 2
and yes, as I said the Vibrato Int is like its own hardwired virtual patch. you can route as many sources and destinations to the same thing in virtual patch. if you don't want vibrato on the mod wheel set the vibrato int to zero.(but how do I do this? I don't think i have an option to do this)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 36 in the manual:
Quote:

C: Vibrato Int..............................................[–63...+63]
Specify the depth of the vibrato effect that is applied when
the modulation wheel (or for the MS2000R, the modulation
wheel of a connected external MIDI device) is moved to the
maximum position.
The LFO2 will apply a vibrato effect to the pitch of the oscil-
lator.

there isn't a front panel control for it - you have to get to it through paging. There are other 'hidden' parameters that aren't on the front panel - generally those that you don't need to access when performing on the synthesizer.

another option to figure out the modulation wheel would be to look at preset programs where the mod wheel does control the cutoff, and see what the assignments for that program's vritual patches are.
pisquano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i found it

it normally is midi2

so i guess i don't understand what midi 1 is for.....

are the parameters I can assign to the modwheel limited to those 5 or 6 listed in the patches destination?
thanks!
melty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late the the fray here, but yeah, confirmed that MIDI2 in the virtual patch controls the second modwheel (on the right) and you may adjust its destination/target to one of eight different settings.

--

Pitch
OSC2 Pitch
OSC1 Control 1
Noise Level
Cutoff
Amp
Pan
LFO2 Frequency

--

Thanks for the hints X! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: