Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QUANTITZE INPUT? (Not just playback) - As in MPC "BeatR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FranzK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: QUANTITZE INPUT? (Not just playback) - As in MPC "BeatR Reply with quote

I got a microsampler - very excited - a cool new machine

I loaded it up with a bunch of loops made on my laptop
to use at a small live performance.

I thought to hold down various keys to make different combos
of the loops happen.

It worked, but actually it was harder to deal with than expected...

Hitting more than one key at once so that the loops line up perfectly is a big challenge!

Is there anyway to quantitize the live input (of you hitting the keys) to the nearest note value? (I know it can do this for pattern recording, but...)

I like to use the arpegiator on ESX and EMX (GREATEST machines!) and I got a little MPC type Akai XR20, which has "beat repeat" that quantitizes the drum pads also

This feature would be a BIG help on the MS also! Am I missing how to do it?

(Also would be a great thing to add by an OS update!)

KORGLECTION: FIVE Classic ELECTRIBES, FIVE KAOSS!
3 Volca, iPads, Three DS10, Monotron, Classic O1W/FD

See my videos! KORG and other Synths and Apps,
VJing, Animation, Games etc.
www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
floccipocci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things you can do:

1) If you are sampling from a pattern based instrument or a source where the loop starts when you press play. (That is, you're not trying to get a loop from the middle of a song in a music player), you can use the threshold settings to, ensure that the recording starts as soon as the loop (that you want to record) starts.

2) You can adjust the start marker of the sample so that as you hit the key, the loop starts. (This is especially when you have recorded the sample using the manual method, of pressing the SAMPLE button, and you did not hit the button on time. However it does not work if you're too slow in pressing the sample button).

3) If you have the loop on hold, hitting the key again re-triggers the loop. So if you have missed the timing, you can save yourself in this way: For example, the loop starts with a kick, and upon hearing the first kick being out of sync you can play the key for some kind of kick pattern for one bar to cue in the loop and then when you finally play through a bar + 1 beat, just let go to get the loop hold to take over. Sounds like a little bit of DJ pseudo-scratching.

Otherwise, if you're fast enough, just unhold the loop, and then wait for the next bar / repetition to hold it.

Some of the above ideas work in live, some require preparation.
Otherwise, some bit of practice is needed.
If you're not good at pressing a bunch of keys together at the same time, you can just record a base track on the sequencer, and then just jam along to it with less keys. Then switch patterns anytime, like Ableton live.
(For example, I'll program drums and bassline patterns for intro, verse, chorus, extro. Then when i play live in front of people, i only have to think about which melody or loop stuff to layer over.)
FranzK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are indeed good suggestions for MicroSampler users!

It just seems like such an obvious feature to have,
at least as an option, on such a unit
(Though I don't think the SP404 or SP404XL have it either!,
which was part of the reason I never got one.
Also their operations are too confusing. Electribes are so much better!)

>Some of the above ideas work in live, some require preparation.
>Otherwise, some bit of practice is needed.
>If you're not good at pressing a bunch of keys together at the same time, >you can just record a base track on the sequencer, and then just jam along >to it with less keys. Then switch patterns anytime, like Ableton live.

This was more the type of thing I was planning on doing with it...
loading a bunch of loops in made on the laptop with the librarian,
and then using it live a very portable ableton live.

(though the spontaneous human beatboxing does look cool!
and though I'm not that much a beatboxer in the Hip Hop sense,
but I can do a lot of interesting things with my voice)

I guess if I don't use "loop hold" and always restart the all will a multi key press on the one beat, they never would be out of synch

I often sing along with my music, so sometimes I want to concentrate more on that, you know?

www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
shabby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got an akai mpd 24 connected to the microsampler.. u can programm the pads doing a toggle trigger.. this is really nice since u do not need to hit the key and press the key with the right loop.. one pad tap turns the loop on the other off.. the mpd has 4 banks of 12 pads...

another ting i did is use my ipod touch together with novation automap for iphone in conjunction with midipipe (mac) to change cc triggers into nrpn.. worx perfect now i have a sequences of a bank on sepreate buttons and i can jump around when i perform...

with bome midi translator i did experiment with sysex.. and it worx perfect.. it is a hell of a lot of work.. which i gonna do in some weeks..

only thing remains u have to translate the codes for pitch decay release etc.. on the sample bank for every seperate sample...
FranzK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabby wrote:
got an akai mpd 24 connected to the microsampler.. u can programm the pads doing a toggle trigger.. .

That's quite clever. Wink Or since I have it here, use this AKAI XR20.

of course, I was planning to wear the MS on a strap, like a keytar...
It's less portable if I have to carry both...

Might just try and return the MS?

(Ironically, right afterward, they'll probably release an OS update. Wink

www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
MarsHottentot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FranzK wrote:

It just seems like such an obvious feature to have

That's the mantra.

Floccipocci, you need to be commended for you excellent outside-the-box methodologies and you really REALLY need to catalog all of these observations and workarounds into a MS-1 Survival Guide PDF. I think you'll find that you'll have created THE definitive microSampler users guide and will reap, if not straight up accolade, certainly tons of DL's (which is basically the same thing).

Just a thought.
FranzK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarsHottentot wrote:
FranzK wrote:

It just seems like such an obvious feature to have

That's the mantra.

True. Wink Say-able for SO many high tech goods.

If only I worked for KORG development - I've got electribe ideas that could revolutionize the whole thing

But I understand that most of the actual design goes on in Japan, which is fairly far away... and my Japanese is not that good.

www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
slug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: QUANTITZE INPUT? (Not just playback) - As in MPC "B Reply with quote

FranzK wrote:
Is there anyway to quantitize the live input (of you hitting the keys) to the nearest note value? (I know it can do this for pattern recording, but...))

How can a machine anticipate you are going to be late on your stroke and then shuffle it forward to the correct spot? I know there seem to many requests for MicroSampler.... but adding an oracle? Smile
floccipocci

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
FranzK wrote:
Is there anyway to quantitize the live input (of you hitting the keys) to the nearest note value? (I know it can do this for pattern recording, but...))

How can a machine anticipate you are going to be late on your stroke and then shuffle it forward to the correct spot? I know there seem to many requests for MicroSampler.... but adding an oracle? Smile

I reckon the way it should work in real-time, would be to quantize the late note-on at the next loop instance.

Which would mean having to go through a few bars slightly out-of-rhythm before it finally quantizes. Very Happy

Which means it's a handy feature that will not really work well at all, or as intended.

Good insight, slug.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logic and KARMA both have an input quantize feature.

I believe if it is less than half a beat late, it plays it anyway. if it is less than half a beat early, it waits till the next beat.

I imagine in Logic it probably puts them in the right place in the sequencer as you play them..
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: