Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help!! repair korg EMX 1!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chemtek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: help!! repair korg EMX 1! Reply with quote

i connect one psu of 110V in europe (220-230V) in my korg EMX1, yes i know stupid mistake!!! I bought a new transfomer (220V) but the problem is the machine turn on but nothing on display (yellow display) and no sounds! i need help, its possible to fix the machine or i should buy a new one??
please help me!
thankx
Chemtek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: 126 views with no answer! Reply with quote

i advice ppl to take care about what happen with me, otherwise u will burn the machine! anyway, i didnt had any help in this forum about my issue!
oldboya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say you bought a new transformer , do you mean an AC adaptor ?
I had a problem like this with my kp1. i thought i fried the whole thing, but as it turned out it was just the adaptor.
harvestein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surface mounted fuse has blown, it is a very small fuse on the inside of the machine.

You can short it out, or solder in a new one. There is a very good guide posted here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26063

If your not confident enough to do this then send it to a repair shop.

good luck!
Chemtek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the official korg repair shop said that i burned the main boards! but thanks for the info ...i will try to change the fuse
SI FI NOISE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: fuse blown Reply with quote

yeah its your fuse , its a common fault with the emx , just had my fuse replaced , now its just like new.
Chemtek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankx to everybody that try to help! i hope it will be the fuse! i just send to some repair shop! i will have news sooon.....

again, thankx for the help!
Chemtek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just came from repair shop, and they sad its the mainboard that is f***! nothing about the fuse. i spoke with the korg repair shop and they said the same, "its mainboard, better to buy a new one"! i am very very sad...my beatiful blue korg, hopefully i have the SX! please guys if u have another ideia please help me!
thankx to everybody that try to help!
regards
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much anyone can do or advice to give when you do what you did. A tech has to look at it, and then 99 times out of a hundred you're f....d. The rest of the time you're screwed. Usually it's not worth repairing because the repair is more expensive than buying a used one. You could sell it or keep it for parts.

The only thing you can do is prevent doing that to other gear in the future. It's a tough lesson to learn the hard way, but you could consider yourself lucky that you didn't learn by frying much more expensive gear.

Music gear is not a good voltage tester, at least not more than once.
Electribed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you insured?

My home and contents insurance covers me for accidental damage.
harvestein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just saying its the mainboard because they are not familiar with the problem. The mainboard fuse is designed to protect the mainboard when you make the type of mistake you did. You can be 99% certain it is the mainboard fuse that has blown, not the actual circuitry on the board itself!

Just replace the fuse or send it to a Korg repair service provider.

Ive allready posted the instruction for fixing it:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26063

these repair shops are feeding you a line, it is a common problem with this product. It happened to my friends EMX and the local repair shop told him it was knackered. I found information about this fuse (thanks to the guys on here), and he repaired it himself. it was just this little fuse!

The symptom you describe is the same as the blown mainboard fuse, if your not confident enough to do it, print out the above forum thread i posted and take it with you to the shop and ask them to do it.

Or you can try speaking with Korg themselves and they will give you a quote, you can contact the servicing team in the UK (if that where you are) by using this site:

http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/page.cfm?pageid=388

good luck
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only takes about 30 seconds to test the continuity of the fuse while it's still in circuit. If the techs didn't do this, I wouldn't let (the effn' lazy bastards) techs touch it again to repair it.
Chemtek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Harvestein, thankx for your help, really! Iam from portugal and in fact in the korg repair shop they never saw this machine, they were unpolite and had a very quick answer about the issue. I found this picture about changing the fuse and i just went to normal repair electronic shop, they said the same they continue to say that i f***d the motherboard. I will choose your advice and send to it to UK.
thankx mate, iam very happy for your comment, and for the help!

regards!
Yatmandu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would listen to xmlguy. Just because someone happens to work for a Korg repair center does not mean they're not a complete idiot. It's a simple test: get someone with an ohm-meter to do it. All signs point to a blown fuse, and the idiot at the repair center has nothing to lose by telling you the entire mainboard is fried! Put it this way, if it really is fried, then you can't possibly do any more damage to it by checking it with a meter. I've got too many life experiences to put all my trust in some repair shop muppet.
trypset

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah at least give it a shot, the fuse can't be that expensive, sounds like you are going to pay more for getting it just looked than than trying to solve it with the posted resolution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: