Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May we expect some midi fct upgrade?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noize

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: May we expect some midi fct upgrade? Reply with quote

Hello,

Do you think the OS can/will be updated with some midi functions?
The one I'm missing is the ability to trigger the sampling with note-on message from an external controler.

I'm playing bass guitar and I would like to sample from a behringer FCB-1010 foot controller (in Key Gate sampling). Why is it possible from the internal keyboard and not from an external one? It would also be possible to do really fast multisampling from a connected synth.

Noize
floccipocci

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your setup and signal flow like?

I assume your Foot Controller is connected into MIDI IN of the MS, and you like to sample in key gate, but using the Foot Controller? (And then later you can use the foot controller to play the samples)

The MS only receives note 48-84, so try making sure that your foot controller is set up to use notes within 48-84 for the switches.
Noize

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thank you for the answer.

Yes you understood what I'm trying to do.
The pedalboard is sending note-on messages in the right range. I can use it to triggers recorded samples but it doesn't work when the MS is in "key gate sample ready mode" (blinking yellow). I guess this is something that can be added quite easily in a new OS.

Noize.
Qbass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: triggering MS samples via external midi control Reply with quote

so... are we saying that the MS doesn't execute this function or that we haven't found it yet?? From the lack of info provided (not even a chart) I'm a little worried but I'm using the EMX1 as the master (start and stop works fine and I'm also seeking whether or not you can trigger a pattern change within the bank via midi) and when playing a factory preset pattern from the EMX1 there were definitely MS samples being triggered until I turned the EMX1's midi note transmission off.

Let's hear from the MIDI experts, share a little cuz a little goes a long way and apparently it's classified information! Confused
shabby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for now i bought bome midi translator. so i can convert cc's nto nrpn

today someone told me that comapnies are obliged by some kind of law to give full midi specs of a machien they produce, can someone of Korg confirm this? it would be dead handy
3sleeves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm fairly green at using MIDI, but I've been using my BOSS Dr670 drum machine to add pads to the MS. I saw another user post something about it and had to try it. The ROLL and FLAM buttons actually work on the MS samples...well, on the first 12 keys anyway. The BANK and BASS buttons on the Dr670 change the key set (BANK A=1-12, BANK B=13-24, BASS=25-36) as far as I can tell. Neither machine has very detailed MIDI options so I'm just wildly tapping buttons until I get the hang of this setup. No buttons have been able to control sampling functions on the MS, but the play/pause and stop controls do translate smoothly to the MS sequencer. I can't change patterns though, similar to Qbass's results. If anyone else has tried this and has made some breakthroughs please let me know.
Qbass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: midi info... coming Reply with quote

how do you choose the key and bank you are triggering on the MS? I discovered that there is a pdf download for the midi implementation on the Korg site under Microsampler : downloads. That's cool that the flam works... bodes well. Anyway I wrote to them and asked them for a step by step to write a trigger and also whether there is a change pattern execute function. I have my doubts about that one since patterns are controlled w/ the notched knob and the pattern # isn't normally displayed but I'm not too worried about it, I'm getting pretty good timing results (in sync) by setting the pattern change option to change:end of bar line and then watching as the other machine (emx1) gets to the last measure of it's cycle. You can change anywhere in that last bar and the sync will be right. I find this more intuitive and gives more options than having to set their loop lengths the same necessarily. I will post any good info I get from korg.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Qbass: I still have to select the sample bank on the MS so far, the Dr670 can't do that part yet (like I said, I'm new to MIDI). I agree with you on the PATTERN CHANGE AT BAR LINE option...I usually make a couple of 8 bar patterns for my main lines and a few 1 or 2 bar patterns that can function as fills. I think that's similar to what you're describing, right? The knob switch is sufficient for this purpose in my opinion. This thing is slowly unraveling its mysteries, hopefully I'll learn more about implementing MIDI by following this thread. Thanks.
Qbass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@3sleeves yes, that was what I was talking about except I guess I've just been leaving all the patterns the same length, lets say 4, so I can keep things straight and then you can change around on any bar and get back to the original by having your final change on a bar 4. I've got a final looping stage (gibson ecoplex which incidentally in this set up only sounds right in the effects line of a mixer-won't work straight in/out) that will be more handy to play w/ the multiples but I've got to get the two sound generators working together fully before I sail that ocean. The ecoplex will be a handy choice to "grab samples", synced and if desired, by foot control as well . I won't be able to send them to the ms keyboard mode but the ms is pretty slow at that anyway with it's menu-scroll-choose-kybrdsmple methodology. I just realized the original question of this thread was about recording samples and not just triggering them which is all I'm trying to do. via the sequencer though, not a pedal. until I work the live spoons into the deal I still have time to push the sampler button. anyway sorry to those guys and I hope there is a way we can trigger through the pearly key//gates Exclamation
3sleeves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I think we're doing a few similar things, kinda sorta. I run the the line out of the MS through a BOSS RC-2 LoopStatation (for quickly grabbing a live jam loop, playable in one-shot or loop mode on the pedal) and then into a BOSS RC-20 LoopStation pedal (which I use as sort of a multi track recorder before going to HiMD for mastering). My pedals don't have MIDI ports though and can't be synced to anything, so I have to be on beat myself (suits me fine, I'm a drummer mainly). I keep a Stanton C-304 (cd scratcher) running into the MS line-in for ad libs and samples (it has 4 cue triggers which can also be one-shots or loops). The 37th key (AUDIO IN trigger) is more precise than my fader skills at the moment.
I guess I'm drifting even further of topic here and I apologize for doing so. This has been an enlightening thread for me nonetheless.
Tonight I'll be attempting to add my BOSS SP-505 into the mix to see if it can trigger the sampling functions on the MS. I'm doubtful, but anxious to see what happens. Like I posted previously, I really just plug things in and press buttons to see what happens since MIDI is a foreign language to me (no method to my madness). I'll post results.
Qbass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@3sleeves yep, sounds pretty similar, that final looping stage will be the kicker and the more I sense about the limitations in the ms sequencer (like a strict choice of one keyboard sound per recorded loop/pattern), the more I think I'll be looking to that stage to complete things. today I'm in hell because I carefully set up a couple of new sample banks on the librarian editor and they are not transferring to the ms even though it's seeing the connection and midi driver is loaded right so I'm going to see if there are any threads to help. 5 years from now we'll remember the covered wagon days of samplerville Rolling Eyes
3sleeves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the SP-505 doesn't control the sampling controls on the MS. The FX control knobs on the SP were not automatically synced up to anything on the MS either, as far as I could tell. Again, I have to say that these were my results as a MIDI novice. A more experienced MIDI user may find more use for this setup.

@Qbass: Sorry to hear that about the transfer issue. I had a similar problem, but then realized in my case it was the driver...I plugged into a different USB port mistakenly. I haven't had any other transfer issues though (knocking on wood), at least none that weren't due to my own error. Good luck with that. Oh yeah, speaking of ye olde samplerville, I've been incorporating my Casio SK-5 and SK-60 into the mix lately. Again, no MIDI syncing available with them, but tons of fun and a few seconds of 12kHz sampling at the ready. I'll be working this week on getting my Roland S-10 keyboard into the mix as a MIDI controller for the MS. I'm curious to see if the alpha dial and pitch bend wheel do anything worthwhile on the MS. As usual, not expecting greatness, but ready to press some buttons. I'll post those results also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: