Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Old School" vocoder patch for Radias?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoylander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: "Old School" vocoder patch for Radias? Reply with quote

Greetings,

been experimenting a bit lately with the on-board vocoder in my Radias, trying to create a nice patch for doing vocals. Not happy with the results yet, I know I'm not an expert on this type of programming, mainly been trying my way around.

To give an example of what type of sound I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q25nUY3iEE

Any tips/ideas on how to get closer to this sound with the Radias, is it even possible? Or perhaps someone out there have a patch they can share?

/H
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect that any patch on any vocoder made will give you that lead vocal tone, primarily because it's not just a vocoder you're hearing but a blend of his real singing voice with the vocoder. He's using the vocoder more as doubler and harmony, not to fully replace his own voice. So unless you sing like Herbie, you'll have a problem getting that tone. You can hear the blend come in and out by listening for how the high frequency syllables come through the mix. Later in the track he does use some pure vocoding for the funky scat chorus vocal lines. Now if Herbie was using the Radias or R3 vocoder, he'd probably have no problem getting that exact sound, because they can easily replace the function of the Sennheiser VSM-201, assuming he still has his voice at a spry 70 years old.
Hoylander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
I don't expect that any patch on any vocoder made will give you that lead vocal tone, primarily because it's not just a vocoder you're hearing but a blend of his real singing voice with the vocoder. He's using the vocoder more as doubler and harmony, not to fully replace his own voice. So unless you sing like Herbie, you'll have a problem getting that tone. You can hear the blend come in and out by listening for how the high frequency syllables come through the mix. Later in the track he does use some pure vocoding for the funky scat chorus vocal lines. Now if Herbie was using the Radias or R3 vocoder, he'd probably have no problem getting that exact sound, because they can easily replace the function of the Sennheiser VSM-201, assuming he still has his voice at a spry 70 years old.

Yes I understand that the fact that it's Herbie plays a big part in that very sound. But I just wanted to give an example on what I'm looking for, since you can use a vocoder for many things.

The problem is I can't get anywhere near, not counting the difference in singing. I guess part of it is I need to mix in more of my actual voice, is there any way to do this in the Radias? Anyone have a good vocoder patch for "singing"?
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, there is a way to get more of your voice in the mix. It's not hard to find, if you look. You might actually need to create a program that works well with your voice and that is designed to produce the sound you want.

Tell me exactly what you've tried, please, or I'm not going to help you if you haven't actually tried to build a vocoder patch yourself, because then at least I would have some idea of the specific problems you're running into. If you're just looking for someone to give you a patch customized to your needs, sorry, I don't do that. But I will gladly help you with ideas to alter a program you've created to sound more like that example.
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hoylander,

unfortunately the link you posted is not available for Germany due to copyright issues.

If you can post a link to a mp3 or something else to get an idea of what are you looking for, maybe I could help.

If you want, you can take a look at my page http://www.axxim.de/korg_r3 where I post some vocoder tips for vocal use.

At least I can send you a editor screen copy of my R3 vocoder patches when I can figure out what are you looking for
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
francesco20100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Old School" vocoder patch for Radias? Reply with quote

Hi, i'm reading your post right now and , what a combination, i would like to have the same sound to make a cover of this song with my band.
do you found some trick from january up to now?
i'll thank you very much if you could share with me.
Thanks
Francesco
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Francesco,

as I posted before, the link mentioned above is not accesible here in Germany. If someone can tell me the title of the song I can search for other links. Maybe you take a look at my homepage to see if some of the vocoder patches posted there are similar to what you are looking for. I will update new patches in a few days with new vocoder patches, like hose used in my last video "Confutatis"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxim wrote:
Hi Francesco,

as I posted before, the link mentioned above is not accesible here in Germany. If someone can tell me the title of the song I can search for other links. Maybe you take a look at my homepage to see if some of the vocoder patches posted there are similar to what you are looking for. I will update new patches in a few days with new vocoder patches, like hose used in my last video "Confutatis"

Herbie Hancock "I Thought It Was You"
Yatmandu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbie Hancock is 70? YIKES Shocked
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatmandu wrote:
Herbie Hancock is 70? YIKES Shocked

On April 12th, apparently. Korg gave him a Lifetime Achievement Award last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: