Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg and soundeditor communication problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tormodnor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Microkorg and soundeditor communication problem Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Im learning how to use my old microkorg with my Mac these days, which includes setting it up with Korg sound editor. But right now, i can only communicate one way, i can "download" any patch preference changes i make on the microkorg to the bank i have in sound editor, but when i try to upload them (the arrow up button) to initialize the new patch sound, i get this message " Midi error, communication error". I use a m-audio firewire 410 soundcard and old fashion mini out midi in cables to communicate between the keyboard and the soundcard. In the preferences in sound editor, both in and out is set to firewire 410, and i dont get any other options. Any suggestions about what to do here? I tried to use my microkorg with ableton and it works both ways. The write protection is turned off..
StonecipherB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm having the same problem. I tried connecting my microKorg through two different USB interfaces. In both cases the MIDI monitor of the soundeditor picks up MIDI input whenever I hit a key on my synth.

When I try to receive data from the synth, the LED on the synth starts moving around showing the connection is happening (the LED on my interface also lights up), but in the end nothing is imported on my computer.

When I try to transmit to the synth, it fails as well, either without an error message, or with a "Midi error - Communication error" message.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
ff7f00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Microkorg and soundeditor communication problem Reply with quote

Were either of you ever able to figure out why this was happening by any chance?

I only have the ability to receive data from the MK but not send SysEx data to the MK from SoundEditor (receive the same "Communication error"). Note, I can send MIDI note messages from SoundEditor (via the Keyboard) and the MK reacts appropriately . It appears only the SysEx messages from the computer to the MK cause the Communication Error.

Some settings I've tried playing around with:

* MIDI local (toggling between on/off)
* MIDI Clock (toggling between Internal, External, and Auto)
* Swapping MIDI cables
* Trying the 2nd pair of MIDI ports on the USB-MIDI interface
* versions v1.0.2 and v2.0.0 of SoundEditor
* two different computers
* turning everything off and on again

I made sure Write Protect is off and that the MIDI Filter > System Exclusive is set to Enable (E-E)

I tried disabling "Handshake" within SoundEditor and this does make the error message go away, but the settings don't seem to be reaching the MK.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that the MK User Manual on page 49 states, "Some USB-MIDI interface devices may not be able to transmit/receive the microKORG's MIDI exclusive messages" Seeing as how I can send MIDI Note messages using the Keyboard in Sound Editor and the SysEx messages out fail, maybe it's the USB/MIDI Interface I'm using. (MIDIPLUS Tbox 2x2).

EDIT: It looks like when I attempt to write out parameter changes, I get the following MIDI response from the MK:

Code:
00  F0 42 30 58 24 F7                                 | B0X$ |

Digging into the MIDI implementation for the MK, I found this message:
Code:
(12) DATA LOAD ERROR (NAK)                                         T
+----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
|     Byte       |             Description                          |
| F0,42,3g,58    | EXCLUSIVE HEADER                                 |
| 0010 0100 (24) | DATA LOAD ERROR                        24H       |
| 1111 0111 (F7) | EOX                                              |

When DATA LOAD,PROCESSING have not been completed (ex.protect), transmits this message.

Thanks,
Tomek
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Trying another MIDI interface is indeed an option to consider.

What do you mean exactly by 'write out parameter changes'?

Is the error code 0x24 that you get back the response in trying to load a program or to something else?

Bye.
ff7f00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

Trying another MIDI interface is indeed an option to consider.

What do you mean exactly by 'write out parameter changes'?

Is the error code 0x24 that you get back the response in trying to load a program or to something else?

Bye.

It looks like any SysEx messages out to the MK fail, in my case I'm trying to use SoundEditor to modify synth parameters. For example, after I receive the program from the MK, I go into a bank/preset and try to modify the cutoff frequency. As soon as I touch the slider and try to modify the value, it sends a MIDI message out to change the value of the cutoff frequency parameter and it responds with the error code above. The SoundEditor program then displays, "MIDI Error: Communication Error".

It looks like there's a firmware update for the MIDIPLUS 2x2 available (http://www.midiplus.com.tw/MIDIPLUS-Download.htm). Going to try that tonight when I get home ::fingers crossed::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: