Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microkorgy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck Reply with quote

I'm trying to get over 2 issues I've got with the Microkorg as a midi synth.

1. Notes sometimes don't get heard, even if the soft synth's key are being depressed as I hit keys on the microkorg. Ie the midi data seems to transmit, but the note/s is dead, and this only affects some notes.

2. Notes consistently get stuck in their positions, and keep sounding after key off. This happened first with one soft synth, then another. Thus it seems to be the Microkorg's fault.

Is there an obvious remedy to these problems?
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck Reply with quote

microkorgy wrote:

1. Notes sometimes don't get heard, even if the soft synth's key are being depressed as I hit keys on the microkorg. Ie the midi data seems to transmit, but the note/s is dead, and this only affects some notes.

2. Notes consistently get stuck in their positions, and keep sounding after key off. This happened first with one soft synth, then another. Thus it seems to be the Microkorg's fault.

1 + 2 happen all the time, especially with cheaper DAWs. When 2 occurs, try disconnecting your MK. If it still sounds, that confirms my belief that it is simply a problem with your DAW and VSTs.
microkorgy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:
microkorgy wrote:

1 + 2 happen all the time, especially with cheaper DAWs. When 2 occurs, try disconnecting your MK. If it still sounds, that confirms my belief that it is simply a problem with your DAW and VSTs.

Thanks, but it's not the Daw's fault. One of the soft synths is stand alone, and the VSTi works when playing with the mouse, without the microkorg plugged.

I saw another person having this issue on the web with the Mk, but the replies were so unspecific as to indicate there's no known cause, which is really annoying considering it's major vendors in modern time and age. These problems prevent workflow and can disrupt momentum. Imo the solution should be in the top 4 of MK's trouble shooting answers.

And a 3rd problem. The keyboard velocity is inconsistent. It feels like the MK is a really cheap junk in terms of midi, making me thing it's because it's not dedicated midi.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck Reply with quote

hmm. well, maybe its your PC? what are your specs?

I know that on my fathers computer (which is pretty bad) sometimes MIDI notes will hang up or not play at all, regardless of wether they are sequenced or played by a midi controller. It usually happens when a note extends over a measure or begins before a measure.

Does this only happen on playback, or live as well?
microkorgy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:

I know that on my fathers computer (which is pretty bad) sometimes MIDI notes will hang up or not play at all, regardless of wether they are sequenced or played by a midi controller. It usually happens when a note extends over a measure or begins before a measure.

hi, it happens only when playing live, not during playback, although this sometimes gets recorded, and found out later that things sound different.

Say you're trying something out, as soon as you move to the next chord or note, notes from the previous chord or notes keep sounding. And then again, and again, ruining it all.

The computer has 3GB ram, and double processor btw. You'd figure a clearly defined discrepancy like this had a clear answer, but apparently not Mad , and it's Korg, used by hundreds of thousands.

Last edited by microkorgy on Sun May 16, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck Reply with quote

microkorgy wrote:
tpantano wrote:

hi, it happens only when playing live, not during playback, although this sometimes gets recorded, and found out later that things sound different.

Say you're trying something out, as soon as you move to the next chord or note, notes from the previous chord or notes keep sounding. And then again, and again, ruining it all.

The computer has 3GB ram, and double processor btw. You'd figure a clearly defined discrepancy like this had a clear answer, but apparently not Mad , and it's Korg, used by hundreds of thousands.

well your PC specs seem fine, we've ruled out it isn't the DAW... next time it happens where the notes continue to play, shut off your MK or unplug your MIDI cable. If the soft synths continue to play, its a PC problem. If they stop, its a prob with your MKs note off.
microkorgy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Microkorg as midi, notes keep getting stuck Reply with quote

tpantano wrote:
microkorgy wrote:
tpantano wrote:

well your PC specs seem fine, we've ruled out it isn't the DAW... next time it happens where the notes continue to play, shut off your MK or unplug your MIDI cable. If the soft synths continue to play, its a PC problem. If they stop, its a prob with your MKs note off.

I've now tried your advice, and the stuck notes stop sounding after unplugging the Microkorg. So it's the Microkorg, now what.

Last edited by microkorgy on Sun May 16, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one factor has been completely missed here: the MIDI interface.

You haven't mentioned the XL so I assume you're using the original microKorg with a USB-MIDI interface. Particularly perhaps one of those cable-like interfaces like the E-MU xMIDI 1X1. These interfaces are known to have some problems not keeping up with MIDI messages.

There is no known issue with the microKorg itself as many people do use it and definitely not experience the problems you are explaining. It is possible that you have a faulty unit but then you should talk to KORG.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
microkorgy

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I think one factor has been completely missed here: the MIDI interface.

You haven't mentioned the XL so I assume you're using the original microKorg with a USB-MIDI interface. Particularly perhaps one of those cable-like interfaces like the E-MU xMIDI 1X1. These interfaces are known to have some problems not keeping up with MIDI messages.

There is no known issue with the microKorg itself as many people do use it and definitely not experience the problems you are explaining. It is possible that you have a faulty unit but then you should talk to KORG.

Yea the midi interface. I think I asked something about it way back but no-one said it should matter. But I'd think you're right. The cable is hardly highend. And it's midi to usb.
Will any specific midi interface fix this, brands or types/models, or simply price level? I wouldn't want to get a new cable, and then find the problems still exist.
microkorgy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I presume that getting a midi to midi cable that goes through the external audio interface, rather than directly into the pc via usb, will solve the issue, I hope.

Last edited by microkorgy on Mon May 17, 2010 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you get one or two five-pin DIN cables you can connect the microKorg directly to the MIDI interface already on your audio interface. It will do the job of both.

That would also be cheaper than buying another interface and would help to prove your problem lies with the interface.

Generally these 'cable-like' interfaces are the cheapest options and some of them have proven to be unreliable for example a number of people had issues using the MK sound editor.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
microkorgy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate finally a clear answer to this lingering problem.

Thanks a lot.
tormodnor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: bad cables Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Yes, if you get one or two five-pin DIN cables you can connect the microKorg directly to the MIDI interface already on your audio interface. It will do the job of both.

That would also be cheaper than buying another interface and would help to prove your problem lies with the interface.

Generally these 'cable-like' interfaces are the cheapest options and some of them have proven to be unreliable for example a number of people had issues using the MK sound editor.

Im having a very similar problem both in my DAW and with MK sound editor. In Sound editor I can communicate from the MK to the computer, but not the other way..so download, no upload.

In my daw (ableton) the midi notes makes the keys on my MK constant rather then according to the midi notes, more chopped up, short.

I use midi cables to my sound card, maudio firewire 410. But the midi-cables are cheap once (5 pins) bought in China.. do you think a pair of new once, more expensive can solve the problem?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: bad cables Reply with quote

tormodnor wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

Im having a very similar problem both in my DAW and with MK sound editor. In Sound editor I can communicate from the MK to the computer, but not the other way..so download, no upload.

In my daw (ableton) the midi notes makes the keys on my MK constant rather then according to the midi notes, more chopped up, short.

I use midi cables to my sound card, maudio firewire 410. But the midi-cables are cheap once (5 pins) bought in China.. do you think a pair of new once, more expensive can solve the problem?

A cable is a cable is a cable... I've had a bad MIDI cable before but it wouldn't transmit anything at all.
What we are talking about is the cheap interfaces that have two MIDI ports on one end, then a line lump and a USB plug on the other end.
And the solution would be to do what you are doing - plugging it into a higher end interface rather than these cheap 'cable-like' interfaces.

By all means though the first thing you should do is try a new MIDI cable. perhaps even just swap them around and see if you still get the problems. I suppose it is possible.
microkorgy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: bad cables Reply with quote

tormodnor wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

Hopefully you're not getting stuck or missed notes too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: