Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Figuring out how to connect ESX and EMX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HCXCY

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Figuring out how to connect ESX and EMX Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have been playing around with an ESX for quite some time but have now came across this problem.

Soon I am going to get an EMX (ESX 2 synth lines aren't enough for me) and all this time I thought I only needed MIDI cables to connect them to each other, but now I read here that MIDI don't give any audio, they just sync the 2 machines.

What I wanted to do though, is connect EMX to ESX through MIDI and I thought I'd hear audio from both machines through headphones, but obviously that's impossible. So how can I hear both audio from ESX+EMX simultaneously through one pair of headphones?

Hopefully I don't need an external mixer or something...?
markm

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mixer is the way to do this. It is an essential piece of equipment.
HCXCY

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, that just shows how much I know about music.

Well which one would you suggest, since I will have to buy one, I want to buy a good one cause after a while I will want to record my stuff onto laptop anyway.
defrag

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mackie.com
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫
HCXCY

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is profx8 what I need?
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a cheap highly effective option. If you buy an old (it will have to be old as they don't make them anymore- and the new digital ones only have two inputs) four track cassette recorder you will have a four input mixer with panning, EQ and faders, stereo outs to a monitor if you wish and a headphone socket.... and of course you could also record your realtime work to listen to for fun/ reflection or whatever. There is always some on ebay-.... very cheap (about £20) as most people want to record digitally these days. They were actually sold as mixers as well as recorders. I would suggest you check out the Tascam 414
mosler

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all (I'm new here)

I use EMX audio in to connect other signal (laptop in my case) and turn on "Audio In Thru" button. No need for mixer.

Cheers!
chad9477

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible to connect the EMX to the ESX through the latter's Audio In input. All you need is a particular cable, perhaps two. The basics:

The ESX Audio In is a stereo input, meaning you can connect the two mono audio outs from the EMX to the ESX's Audio In. You will, however, need a Y-cable or adapter to do this.

A MIDI cable will also be a good investment for you at this point because you'll be able to synchronize the tempos of the two 'tribes with each other exactly. (As you've discovered, MIDI information is not sound, but a MIDI cable can allow you to make the internal clock from one device set the tempo for others.)

I'd recommend getting these two cables first while you're learning and figuring out what you want to do. You'll also be able to sample your EMX's sounds onto the ESX with that setup.

*All that being said, however*: A mixer will certainly be a great way to put your two tribes together eventually. I suggest you go the route I describe for the time being, if only because 1) it's cheaper and 2) will let you do what you describe immediately while you research what mixer you want to buy.
HCXCY

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow first of all thanks for all the great advices, this forum is amazing!

I was considering connecting EMX to ESX through Audio IN but something tells me the quality of the sound will suck because every time I try to sample something from my laptop or mp3 using Audio IN the sound ends up being too silent and kinda muted, might have to try with good quality cables though...

One more thing, I've been asking around and I could get my hands on a new Alesis Multimix 6 for 80$. Do you guys have any info on that mixer?

Again, thanks for all the responses Very Happy
chad9477

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCXCY wrote:
I was considering connecting EMX to ESX through Audio IN but something tells me the quality of the sound will suck because every time I try to sample something from my laptop or mp3 using Audio IN the sound ends up being too silent and kinda muted, might have to try with good quality cables though...

Cables definitely make a difference -- Dr Feelgood for example gets amazing results when sampling on his ESX, and he credits high-quality cables over everything else, including getting better tubes (which is also a good move for overall sound quality -- lots of posts elsewhere on this forum for details on this).

There's also a good deal you can do by just sitting with your 'tribes for a few hours tweaking levels (volume, EQ, etc.). I don't think a mixer is a bad idea at all, and if it will allow you to achieve the *arrangement* of your gear that you want, go for it. But like any audio engineer will tell you: There's no substitute for time spent learning the gear you have inside and out Wink
TRAUMA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Can anyone recommend some high quality MIDI cables? I'd only need them a foot long or so or 2 feet long if and when I decide to run a mixer in between them. Does gold plating matter on MIDI cables? Does it help conductivity like it does with more conventional cables like RCAs and 1/4" cables?

Also are any of y'all running any new mixers that have built in effects like some have built in nowadays? Or do you feel the built in effects on both electribes are enough? I had a KP3 that I used for on the fly effects but sold it because I also wanted a sampler and the KP3 was the worst sampler I've ever used. Now I'm wondering if I should get another one now that I've got the ESX in my arsenal. Thanks in advance.
Blue Monster 65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: MIDI cables - take your pick: http://www.sweetwater.com/c853--MIDI_Cables I don't care for molded ends nor have I ever needed more than three feet. Gold? No. Not needed as far as I'm concerned.

As far as effects go, I have to highly recommend the EHX Cathedral Reverb. You can hear it demoed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zotk4by4EHA&list=PLWTuS7OkjXfirD1gILOzdQ9Dz2c6BUSNH&index=1 He's running a XOXOX box through it there, but he uses it with his EMX on most of his other videos (see his page here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQazfQDeVW5SEzd_98r4nhA) I have to say I don't know him, but I am a fan.

As far as built-in FX go, there are some that are OK and some that aren't. I'd like to be more specific, but I can't. The better the mixer (there are some Soundcraft models that feature Lexicon effects), the better the FX I'd say.
TRAUMA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I figured midi cables didn't matter a whole lot as its more like phone line than speaker wire. I might end up picking up another KP3 now that I've gone full retard and bought an ESX and will be buying another synth and a mixer and whatnot. Thanks again. Its starting to feel like its just you and I here lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: