Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M50 freeze while playing (note on forever, no button works)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: M50 freeze while playing (note on forever, no button works) Reply with quote

hi all,

just to report what happened yesterday during usual rehearsal with my band mates.

as always i connected my m50 to the power outlet in the wall, then connected m50 to PA and turned it on.

everythink ok as usual and we started to play... after 1 minutes or so my m50 started to have a note sounding permanently, if i play any keys the sound did not change, touchscreen was not responding and also hw buttons were not responding.

hence i just turned it off, thinking that maybe there was a problem in the power outlet on the wall i unplugged the m50 from it, plugged nm50 on a different power outlet and turned it on again

for the second time, after 1-2 minutes of playing it happened again... simply frozen...

so i turned it off and on and then m50 worked ok for the next 2h of rehearsal.

i am running latest OS since it come out and never had this problem before!

so i wonder:

- could it really be a problem related to power supply, maybe not stable?

- does a panic procedure exist in M50 that send a kind of soft reset avoiding to have to turn m50 off and on?

- could some OS part be corrupted in same way? is it better to re-install OS?
akmon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems you are asking have been reported many times. I´ve had these kind of problems 4 o 5 times since a year, when I purchased it, with 1.1.0 OS installed.

I´m sure it´s not related to power supply.

Unfortunately there is no soft reset to avoid turning off the unit. In some cases, I was able to dissapear the sound just changing the mode. In other cases, it was impossible. I had to turn off and then on.
Reinstalling the OS won´t solve the problem. The only way to solve it is releasing an OS update. Korg has to know these freeze problems. They are very common indeed to ignore them. Many users have suffered this problem.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i have read other posts related to freeze problem, but i have thought that the problem has appeared as soon as OS 1.1.0 has been installed...

instead you confirm that can happen suddenly even after many moths from OS update and from time to time...

this is really upsetting especially if it would happen while performing on stage...

hope korg will release soon an update to fix the bugs.
runeharpun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has happened twice to me. Both times in the same venue. So I suspect it's either caused by power issues or vibration from the PA. There is a thread on this forum about the M50 locking up.

R
akmon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don´t suspect its for vibration. I use 100% in studio, in low volume, cause I live in a flat, no vibrations at all, and it happened.

The last freeze was in sequencer mode. I was getting ready for recording and it froze, it only sounded the tic tac of the metronome. Had to turn off and on to fix it. I lost the work I didn´t save in the SD.

I´m still thinking on OS problem.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess, you have the M50-61, correct?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's the OS. If it was, EVERY single person with this problem wouldn't be using the M50-61. The M50-61 I tested at Guitar Center did it a couple times. My M50-73 has NEVER done it in over a year.

There needs to be a definitive thread someplace where people can start posting their serial numbers and country of origin for the synth.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have the m50-61 and two days ago it was the first time in several months with OS 1.1.0 that my m50 freezes...

the strange thing is that i was doing nothing different from usual rehearsal: just playing notes and changing program, no strange operations... that's why at the moment i thought it could be something related to power supply...

it could be a nice idea to have a sticky topic where collecting all SN and country and OS of M50 with this problem and to have korg knowing this

Last edited by kimu on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
adamskii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had problems with my Korg M50-61 crashing. A couple of weeks ago I was composing some music in sequencer mode and after playing back the composition I had wrote into the sequencer, I decided I wanted to save it to a SD card. When I pressed the stop button on the sequencer, all of the notes hung, and the M50 became completely unresponsive, the touch screen and controls wouldn't do anything. Luckily for me, the M50 only froze for just over a minute and then resumed operations again as normal, so I was able to save my work onto the SD card.

It does seem though that there are quite a few bugs with the M50-61 OS, since there have been a few times where the M50 has froze on me, in the four weeks that I have owned the keyboard. One of the worst bugs that I have found on the M50 I posted in the following thread. Luckily I didn't compose anything good when I found this bug, otherwise I would have lost all my work when the M50 crashed.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51642
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littel update:

yesterday the freezing happened again, one time in 2h of playing.

last week i wrote an email to korg support but no one answer so far.

Jerry, are you still here? can you provide some infos about this problem?

in other thread a user said it seems a problem related to capacitors mounted in some M50 model, is this true?
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all:

Sorry for any delay/absence. I was PM'd to draw my attention to this and I checked into things with Korg Inc.

We had seen cases in early production where the M50 would have some trouble starting up, or would display "Updating Right or Left Panel" etc. and either would recover or get stuck. This issue was fixed in an OS update, as it related to a parts tolerance condition. In some cases the OS fix couldn't solve the issue so Distributors were instructed to replace some capacitors.

This was limited to the earliest production runs, so it should only show up in low serial number ranges.

What is the serial # of your product? If it is low, and the current OS didn't fix it, the likelihood is the need to replace the capacitors.

This points out the obvious issue - the need to always contact and work with your local Distributor. They "should" have the right info, and if not, will be alerted to the need to get more information/help for you.

Sorry I have not been as "present" here on the Forums as in the past, but the moderators always know how to reach me. I"m always glad to help - I haven't gone away, just gotten very busy. But when you alert me to a problem I'm glad to help.

Kimu: Let me know your exact details and we'll confirm the next step needed.

best regards,

Jerry
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jerry many thanks for your reply about this.

my M50 has SN (21)00000990 and has been bought in Milan, Italy at the end of October 2008.

I have had call with Italian Korg Distributor and they said that they do not know about such a problem; anyway i will send them in the next days the M50 for repairing being that is still under warranty.

i have installed OS v1.1.0 since its official release on korg.com download site and never had a problem before last two weeks.

the problems i have are:

- after few minutes of correct working, M50 freezes: notes hung up, led are off, sliders, knobs and buttons do no work. touchscreen sometimes works still for a while sometimes not. only thing to do is power off and power on again. this seems not Dependant from the mode (program, combi, media...) i was in

- when powering up, often, m50 start directly frozen.

i have noticed, keeping on Powering off and on, that this behavior lasts for about 1h, after 1h of powering off and on, usually happens that after a power on m50 remains stable for a while.

thanks for any advice you could give. i will be glad to transfer any useful information to local distributor here in italy

when the first time i have a freezing, i re-install OS v1.1.0 and re-install factory data but this does not solve anything.
akmon

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jerry, for your useful information.

My serial number is 5627. Which number do you consider low enough to keep an eye on the unit? Is my number considered as early units of productions with the risk of fry the two capacitors?
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akmon wrote:
...Which number do you consider low enough to keep an eye on the unit? ...

I would like to know that as well.

Korg M50 / Korg Nanokontrol 2

Past gear

Teisco Organ / Yamaha Electone / Casio CZ-230S / Casio CZ-3000 / Ensoniq ESQ 1 / Ensoniq SQ1 / Ensoniq SQ1 Plus / Ensoniq SD-1 /Yamaha PSR? / Hammond XM-1 / Roland RS9 / H&K Rotosphere / Yamaha S80 / Korg X5 / Kurzweil ME-1 / Korg X5D / Korg CX-3 (V2) / Hammond M111 & Leslie 147

Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/bubusdeolivos?feature=results_main
jpscoey

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'
I had this problem ONCE with my M50-88, about 1 month after I bought it (Dec 2008).

Serial No. is 550.

I use it a lot, virtually every day at home, & moving it around to rehearsals/gigs at least once a week.

It has never happened since..... but I'm now starting to wonder if I should have the dealer look at it -

before the warranty runs out Confused , mmmmm.

www.myspace.com/jscoey

KORG gear: M3-73 Xpanded, M50-88, X50, Kaoss KP3.
Other gear: Nord - StageEX-88, Electro2 - 73.
Hammond - XK1
Yamaha - Motif XS7.
Roland - SH201.
nitekatt2010

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: M50 freeze while playing (note on forever, no button wor Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
hi all,

just to report what happened yesterday during usual rehearsal with my band mates.

as always i connected my m50 to the power outlet in the wall, then connected m50 to PA and turned it on.

everythink ok as usual and we started to play... after 1 minutes or so my m50 started to have a note sounding permanently, if i play any keys the sound did not change, touchscreen was not responding and also hw buttons were not responding.

hence i just turned it off, thinking that maybe there was a problem in the power outlet on the wall i unplugged the m50 from it, plugged nm50 on a different power outlet and turned it on again

for the second time, after 1-2 minutes of playing it happened again... simply frozen...

so i turned it off and on and then m50 worked ok for the next 2h of rehearsal.

i am running latest OS since it come out and never had this problem before!

so i wonder:

- could it really be a problem related to power supply, maybe not stable?

- does a panic procedure exist in M50 that send a kind of soft reset avoiding to have to turn m50 off and on?

- could some OS part be corrupted in same way? is it better to re-install OS?

I have had this same occasional sustaining note problem on my Korg M50 88. It could be an OS issue, but it may have something to do with the type and brand name of the damper pedals an the polarity switch adjustment on the pedal itself and the global setting on the M50 Global Page. I am using M-Audio and Kurzweil damper pedals and both work fine 99% perfectly.

Actually I thought I was the only M50 owner with this sustaining note glitch, so I am a bit relieved to know it's not a problem just on my board. Keep us posted on any solutions, causes and fixes. Thanks

katt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: