Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavedrum replacement drum head.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Wavedrum replacement drum head. Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Korg have tested many commonly available heads that fit the Wavedrum and found one from Remo that matches our own head for sound quality. It is extremely durable and is also readily available in every market where drum kits and drum heads are sold and so we can recommend this head as a replacement should the time arise when you need to change the existing one.

The recommended head is:
REMO, 10", Fiberskyn3, Ambassador (Model #: FA-0510-00)
http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/52/191/fi_ambassador.html

Best

Mike
John Hendry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Wave Drum with goat skin head Reply with quote

Do you know if anyone has tried a real goat skin? It needs to be wet to install so won't be that easy. Real skins always (IMO) sound better on real drums but I wonder how this would affect the sound of the Wave Drum. Certainly not worth dealing with a real skin if it does not "sound" better. The Remo Fiberskyn heads are the best synth skins out I think and feel excellent and can get wet. Just wondering how the skin affects the sound on it.

John^^
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm not aware that real goat skin was used in the testing but if anyone has a 10" goat skin to try then please post here..

Mike
John Hendry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Goat Skin on the Wave Drum Reply with quote

Cool...be interesting to note the differences. I'm torn on imagining it...one side says REMO's heads should be more articulate sounding and sound better....and the other side says I'm not that articulate myself so a little asymmetry added to the system might make it happen as it should. Sound tells all so wait and see. Thanks.

John^^
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember your not actually getting any sound from the skin so to speak, It may well feel better but would not do anything to the sound ...
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Wave Drum Heads Reply with quote

You don't think it might influence the sensors differently in some way?

Uktechsupport Said:
“Korg have tested many commonly available heads that fit the Wavedrum and found one from Remo that matches our own head for sound quality.”

I was more worried than excited about it weighed out since REMO was matched to Korg’s head. If it feels better to me it’s because I have better control so be cool to have real skin but would not want to lose sensor performance. It should effect it if the other heads do and be unusual if it sounds better…but unusual things happen so who knows but if there is a difference it would be different for each skin. I would think thick and thin skins would make a difference in natural response characteristics.

"If a tree falls in the woods will two observers hear the same sound?"

“If Space is relative to Time how can a Single Photon be in two places at the same time?”

Our Natural Sense is always right even if not included in the Great Teachings of Quantum Physics.

John^^
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave Drum Heads Reply with quote

John Hendry wrote:
If Space is relative to Time how can a Single Photon be in two places at the same time?”

OT:
John, if you mean that the photon occupies two points in a four-dimensional cartesian coordinates system - x, y, z, t - I would rather think of the photon as a vector than a single point.

on topic:
I'm assuming the WaveDrum uses acoustic sensors to pick up the hit position on the drumhead? I was very impressed by the rather realistic demonstration of experssiveness from the WaveDrum videos. I think the excesive finger drumming techniques shown is limiting the market for the product. It took some convincing because of the videos for example, But I know a drummer who would love to have one or two of these in his rock/metal kit. Personally i'd go for a whole kit of them for a full-electronic studio drum kit. It seems much more flexible than most rack-and-pad-based electronic drum kit systems.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
PhiGo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavedrum replacement drum head. Reply with quote

Has anyone already tested the black heads from REMO for the new Wavedrum ?
RichF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have tested them here in the US. They are less responsive to light touches, so you'll find that some instruments (like snare or tabla) won't be as sensitive to brushes or light hand techniques (scratching, tapping, rubbing). This type of head does produce a different and musically useful response with sticks/rods, which makes it a great addition to a rack of toms.
Brawner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Wavedrum head shredded after two weeks Reply with quote

I had my Wavedrum for less than two weeks before the head came apart--with only moderate playing. I thought this was odd for a $600 drum. Korg acknowledged that the heads disintegrate easily but refused to replace it.
RichF

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brawner, I'm concerned that you're referring to our communication earlier today. If that's the case, you've misinterpreted me quite a bit.

As I mentioned, if you feel you got a defective Wavedrum, it needs to go back to the dealer. If there is something wrong, we want you to be taken care of, and this is the right way to do it.

When you asked me about the lifespan of the heads, I said that heads wear differently, and as such we don't have a specification on the head's lifespan. I said that I have been playing and demonstrating with mine for several months, with both hands and sticks, and the head is only showing minor wear.

Conversely, I also told you that our SXSW demo Wavedrum heads were in bad shape after two days of solid abuse from a constant flow of festivalgoers. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ1Nk1HFNLw . At 1:04, you can see a few folks playing those SXSW Wavedrums. They had been hit constantly for 24 hours total, using unsanded wooden dowels, metal rods, hunks of metal scrap, and whatever else they could find in a workshop-themed booth.

The point of both examples was, we've found the head included with the Wavedrum is like any other Remo 10" fiberskyn head. As such, it will wear depending mostly on how hard it's being hit, what it's being hit with, and how tightly it is stretched. That is MILES away from an acknowledgment that the heads "disintegrate easily." They don't.

Again, if you feel your Wavedrum is defective after only two weeks, the right first step is to take it to the dealer, along with the receipt. I'm disappointed that you interpreted this as a refusal to help, because I was actually providing you with the a) the right way to fix the problem, and b) some insight as to the lifespan of the drum head... Both of which you asked for directly.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the wave drum in person yet so cannot say anything about it's 10in head;-( but I saw this some time ago and wanted to reply as REMO heads compared to real skin heads last forever and I have at least 3 fiberskyn 12in head drums left (sold others all in great shape too) now going on 7 years+ old and 1 has been to Burningman 3 times in the sun, dust and rain/mud and passed around fire without worry and like new after hosing it off....LOL which blows out a tuned skin in a few minutes once wet. I’ve even cleaned off the sand once in the ocean to keep my van clean and only worry was the metal so gave it another hosing washing off the salt when home again first thing! Try any of this with a skin and you see how cool they are…except for the sound below real goat skin but on Wavedrum this is not important.

I have only seen a few really old 14in 1st generation ones played allot owed by a circle leader BEAT by MANY people worn out but they still played OK and that took years of abuse in Hawaii with sand and heat from the fire from being left face forward and reason I thought for head separating but other than that I regard them as permanent heads owning several drums and two hands.

Honestly if you have problems with REMO heads you might want to consider what you are doing because that's not the norm unless they changed the 10in heads for Korg but reading posts says its the same head so all I can say is take care of your head and it will take care of you.

Can’t be the Hutchison effect since it’s not metal……Wink

John^^
Brawner

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Wavedrum head shredded after two weeks Reply with quote

The head that came with my Wavedrum disintegrated after a couple of weeks. Korg would not replace it. I called Remo. They said they don't supply those heads but recommended the Fiberskyn 3. I bought one and it works great. Very durable. These ought to be original equipment for the Wavedrum.
RichF

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brawner, you've missed an important private message. Please check your inbox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: