Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUYING THE MICROSAMPLER PLEASE LIST THE PROS AND CONS PLEASE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjamesblow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: BUYING THE MICROSAMPLER PLEASE LIST THE PROS AND CONS PLEASE Reply with quote

this will help me determine to buy it...it seems like it really comes in handy as far as a sampler goes...i just want to know some of the pros and cons of this equipment?...looked online and read and watched videos about it...i want to know if it is capable of holding a few different songs in its memory?....how much memory it really has?...stuff like that if you guys can help that would be great...
shabby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a really creative machine, with one major flaw:

no autoloop after sampling...

which sort makes their marketing of the MS mis-informing..(can i say that)

'The microSAMPLER is designed for performance'

well not implementing the autoloop feature of he kaosspads.. is sort of leaving out the core of a performance instrument/tool.

and since korg is way too busy trying to get a piece of the cake showing of with new new products.. i doubt if they will update the OS..
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the KORG official site may have the memory capacity. I don't have the figure but whatever it is - I fervently wish it were more..

Random thoughts from me:

The Microsampler is as someone said - a bit of everything in a portable package.

It is a bit hard to use as your sole song creation machine. Hard - but if you are talented and making loop based music it's not impossible.

I find the sequencer quite limited. That's as much me as the machine though. It can overdub but there is a limited undo capacity so you need to keep making copies of your sequences so you can revert if necessary to earlier saves. Bah - way too slow & inflexible for me! I prefer employing it to jam into Cubase with a few phrases. It's very inspirational then.

The effects are very good - but you are limited to one at a time per bank unless you resample fixing the effect to the sample. Again as I use it as a studio tool I use Cubase to make up the shortfall.

A definite pro is the excellent sound quality - and the included mic is pretty good too. I sampled an analog tape loop into it yesterday and it sounded virtually indistinguishable from the original.

I love the springy keyboard action too - but some of my upper notes seem to be a bit slow to respond. Build quality seems nothing special really although nothing has dropped off yet.

There are some silly things about the MS which have been moaned about before - obviously no autoloop playback is one of the main ones.

The sloppy dials are a pain too. But when you learn it thoroughly & use the keyboard shortcuts - the ergonomics are less of an issue. I find I can fly around it now for many jobs and the free software takes away a lot of the knob twiddling.

Loop trimming is a bit basic - the software helps but the limited sample editing is not comprehensive enough sometimes. Having said that I threw a sweet loop togther last night which was perfected in a matter of moments - the MS often surprises me in a good way.

For me more pluses than minuses then.
sadist%vince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very upset at first when I purchased it but have found a good use for it now. I recorded tons of patches I made from my Wretch Machine into it and can play nasty s**t without taking the Wretch on tour. Works for me perfectly every time so far.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's become my primary sampler/workstation over the past few months mostly because of the workflow. I'm able to crank out an entire song from scratch (instrumentation, FX tweaking, pattern sequencing) in about 4 hours or less. Previously my main sampler was a Boss SP-505, which is still in the mix as an FX processor and MIDI sequencer mostly. The few downsides of the MS are obvious at first, but seem to fade away as you find your comfort zone with its tool set. Check out my videos if you want to see how it works in my setup. Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/user/3sleeves
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: