Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg mr-2000 hdd Change disk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mappy255

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: korg mr-2000 hdd Change disk Reply with quote

Ciao ,HI
I am new user
I would replace the disk with a capacity greater (PATA 44 PIN or 40 PIN or SATA with adapter SATA to PATA).
I have tried to replace the disk with a PATA 40 pin 80gb, but does n't work, not recognise the disk.

I want to know if others have experience in this

Please help me

thanks

ciao
Dj_AmTraX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised by the lack of interest in this. Anyone???
nidfix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it today without facing any issue.
The only thing you have to be careful is to respect the format expected (FAT32 LBA) and to copy the entire file structure on the original drive, especially the sys file at the root of the disk.
Please note that it seems that the bios used does not recognize disk space beyond 128GB: currently with my 300GB disk, while it can see that there are 297GB free, according to it the HDD is just 128GB. The same way, if you ask it to format it creates a 128GB partition.
So I guess until a new firmware is released that "solves" that point, we cannot go much beyond the original drive. I am running 1.5.2. Taking into account that it is not a supported change I do not think we can expect anything from Korg.
At least I know know now how to replace it if it crashes. Wink
nidfix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news: 1.6.1 addresses the previous point even it it is not mentioned in the release notes. Now the system sees the entire 300GB disk Cool
Roy Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Korg MR-2000 - replacing with far larger hard disk Reply with quote

Three follow-on questions:
1. What hard disk brand/model did you use?
2. Can you go beyond 300 gigabytes, e.g. 500gig or 1 terabyte?
3. Any additional pointers, things to watch out for, in trying to replace with larger hard disk.

Also keen to hear if anyone else has successfully upgraded to larger hard disk, and how.

By way of background, very happy recent buyer and user of Korg MR-2000. Am a longtime audiophile with sizable LP collection that I want to archive/digitize. I think the MR-2000 is underestimated as an ultra high quality high-res playback unit (sound compares very well with Weiss, Ayre, Cary Audio DACs that I have) - the only constraint being the small 80 gigabyte hard disk - if this had a 500gig or 1tb hard disk, it would be a near-unbeatable ultra high res recorder, music file server and playback unit all in one, that not only sounds great but is also quite portable. Thanks.
nidfix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Korg MR-2000 - replacing with far larger hard disk Reply with quote

Roy Ramos wrote:
Three follow-on questions:
1. What hard disk brand/model did you use?
2. Can you go beyond 300 gigabytes, e.g. 500gig or 1 terabyte?
3. Any additional pointers, things to watch out for, in trying to replace with larger hard disk.

Also keen to hear if anyone else has successfully upgraded to larger hard disk, and how.

By way of background, very happy recent buyer and user of Korg MR-2000. Am a longtime audiophile with sizable LP collection that I want to archive/digitize. I think the MR-2000 is underestimated as an ultra high quality high-res playback unit (sound compares very well with Weiss, Ayre, Cary Audio DACs that I have) - the only constraint being the small 80 gigabyte hard disk - if this had a 500gig or 1tb hard disk, it would be a near-unbeatable ultra high res recorder, music file server and playback unit all in one, that not only sounds great but is also quite portable. Thanks.

I used a Western Digital Scorpio Blue disk WD3200BEVE .
Up to the 2TB limit it should work. However the concern is to find the disk. That device has a PATA interface on which if it is not yet discontinued, there is not much effort by disk manufacturer to release new models. The disk I listed is the biggest I could find from WD. May be elsewhere (I searched in Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung product lines but could not find better) but I wanted to stay with a manufacturer I am working with on a regular basis. It is probably possible to replace the PATA interface by a SATA but it would imply more changes and would go much beyond the level of modifications I wanted to do on mine. Which is the reason why I did not go further. In my case 320GB is enough as I did not consider to use for something else that sampling. 80GB was simply a bit small as I wanted to have some leeway between "cleaning disk sessions"

I did not do anything special but format the disk as Win95 LBA (partition type code 0xc) and cloning the original disk contents (just copy the files, I did not use any ghosting tool). On this point I prepared the disk from a linux machine as by default Windows 7 proposes only NTFS for partition of that size. However I guess it should not be difficult to find a third-party tool on windows that would do the job too.

Last edited by nidfix on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roy Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: KorgMR2000 hard disk upgrade Reply with quote

Many many thanks. I will try this myself (including looking for an even larger capacity hard disk) and report back on any success. I do think the MR2000 is under appreciated as an ultra high res high quality music file server and player.
Roy Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Hi Nidfix re Korg MR2000 hard disk upgrades, great sound too Reply with quote

Thanks again for your advice on replacing the hard disk on the MR-2000 with a larger capacity one. It worked very smoothly for me - got the same hard disk which i ironically found far easier to format as fat32 disk using Mac rather than Windows!

More importantly, the MR-2000 sounds very good as a playback device for high res music files - I have a Weiss DAC202 which has gotten lots of accolades from the audiophile press, and the Korg MR-2000 is notably better - punchier, more detail, more transparency, more immediacy. Very Happy
nidfix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great !
Dj_AmTraX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: 160gb HD Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Korg. He told me the wd1600beve hard drive will work because they use it in their NEW MR2000B. Anyone here tried it?

So the WD3200BEVE works too? I am using Mac only. I need to format the drive in Disk Utilities to FAT32 and copy the files from the original 80gb drive? Can I just copy the files to my Desktop and then move them over to the new drive?

I will need a PATA to SATA adaptor?
Dj_AmTraX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this SATA to PATA/IDE Hard Drive Interface Adapter work?

[/img]
nidfix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 160gb HD Reply with quote

Dj_AmTraX wrote:
I just got off the phone with Korg. He told me the wd1600beve hard drive will work because they use it in their NEW MR2000B. Anyone here tried it?

So the WD3200BEVE works too? I am using Mac only. I need to format the drive in Disk Utilities to FAT32 and copy the files from the original 80gb drive? Can I just copy the files to my Desktop and then move them over to the new drive?

I will need a PATA to SATA adaptor?

wd1600beve, like WD3200BEVE has a PATA interface from what I can see. So you don't need any adapter.
I do not have Mac or much practice with it. So I cannot comment on what this tool will produce or whether moving files from to your desktop keeps file formats. However the system does not use anything specific so it will probably be fine.
Dj_AmTraX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened up the case and noticed its not much room where the HD sits. Has anyone here used the PATA to SATA adaptor with a 500gb or larger HD? I hope to get help on this before spending money on the adaptor. Otherwise I will just order the 320gb WD PATA hard drive. Thank you!
Dj_AmTraX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the PATA to SATA adaptor. It doesn't fit the ribbon cable. Sad

I went ahead and ordered the WD3200BEVE instead. Unless someone here knows of a good adaptor that works.
planovoy5@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Need a Korg mr2000s system file image Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I accidentally didn't save the image of the file system of my Korg MR2000s when I decided to upgrade to SATA larger HD, and now I cannot even put the original 80gb back into the recorder since it has been deleted on it too.
Please help me with the system image?

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: