Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample Pack 2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agerhbour wrote:

Jerry, for SV1, my main use of drive was the first few ticks as you said. However, when using the organs, particularly the B3 organ sound, if I got into a big solo, I have at times cranked the drive up to 8 or 9 with reverb of 8 or 9 also. Yes, it is very over the top, but thats what I was going for in a screeching solo.
But for general playing, the drive was useless over 4.

For soundpack 2, even the drive on 1 is far too much, it sounds like my system is going to blow up when I use it. So even for an on/off use, using the amp on, the drive has to be on 0, which is useless isn't it? Doesn't that cut out some of the sound?

What I am saying is, for Soundpack 2 just turn On/Off the button, don't turn up or down the Drive Knob. That's what the programmer shaped the sound to be - a completely intended/finished timbre in either of those two states. It already has some Drive amount - you could see that in the Editor... it's not 00.

OK?

Regards,

Jerry
agerhbour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
What I mean is that the amount of Drive has already been set in the programming, so when you turn on the button there is already an amp sim/overdrive amount that the programmer intended to be used "as is".

So there's two states - without and with. used as is.

I don't mean to get into a deep philosophical discussion of the whole range/amount of the amp sim, because I personally don't love the way it is implemented, so I am not trying to completely defend it.

If I could "dream" with you I would do two things:

1) make the range of the knob completely linear, like when you use the Function + Bass EQ to control the RX noises - that goes from 00-127 in single step increments. No more big jumps...

2) Tie the Drive knob to both the Amp Gain and the Speaker Output in inverse relationship, so when you up the gain you lower the output, this way you get more drive without raising the volume at the same time.

But I don't write the code, do the work. So I have shared these as a wish list with the team, but cannot make any promises that this will get done, or when, or anything. I just am sharing this so you know that I am not arguing with you, telling you I think everything is perfect and you're crazy, or any such thing.

But... I am trying to offer you the best ideas I have to work with the system and the sounds as they are today - because it can be done.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

regards,

Jerry

Ah so you're saying that when you have the drive on 0 with the amp on in SP2 it already has drive?

I was concerned that it was like with the first 2 packs, where if you have the amp on and the drive on 0 you only get RX noises.

I'll have to have another play around with it then. Those 2 ideas would be very good, I hope your suggestions are taken on board by the tech guys who make the new operating systems and sound packs.

Thanks Jerry,
alex.
agerhbour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
agerhbour wrote:

Jerry, for SV1, my main use of drive was the first few ticks as you said. However, when using the organs, particularly the B3 organ sound, if I got into a big solo, I have at times cranked the drive up to 8 or 9 with reverb of 8 or 9 also. Yes, it is very over the top, but thats what I was going for in a screeching solo.
But for general playing, the drive was useless over 4.

For soundpack 2, even the drive on 1 is far too much, it sounds like my system is going to blow up when I use it. So even for an on/off use, using the amp on, the drive has to be on 0, which is useless isn't it? Doesn't that cut out some of the sound?

What I am saying is, for Soundpack 2 just turn On/Off the button, don't turn up or down the Drive Knob. That's what the programmer shaped the sound to be - a completely intended/finished timbre in either of those two states. It already has some Drive amount - you could see that in the Editor... it's not 00.

OK?

Regards,

Jerry

Yeah, got it. Sorry, I didn't see this post before I wrote the last one.

Thanks again.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems/no worries... email/posting is not always the best form of communication.

have a great weekend!

Regards,

Jerry
mackbaz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
What I mean is that the amount of Drive has already been set in the programming, so when you turn on the button there is already an amp sim/overdrive amount that the programmer intended to be used "as is".

I don't mean to get into a deep philosophical discussion of the whole range/amount of the amp sim, because I personally don't love the way it is implemented, so I am not trying to completely defend it.

1) make the range of the knob completely linear, like when you use the Function + Bass EQ to control the RX noises - that goes from 00-127 in single step increments. No more big jumps...

2) Tie the Drive knob to both the Amp Gain and the Speaker Output in inverse relationship, so when you up the gain you lower the output, this way you get more drive without raising the volume at the same time.

But I don't write the code, do the work. So I have shared these as a wish list with the team, but cannot make any promises that this will get done, or when, or anything. I just am sharing this so you know that I am not arguing with you, telling you I think everything is perfect and you're crazy, or any such thing.

But... I am trying to offer you the best ideas I have to work with the system and the sounds as they are today - because it can be done.

regards,

Jerry

Very respectable reply. I'm glad to see I wasn't crazy thinking these things. I will continue to use the board and have fun with it. But if these changes could be made, man would it be a sweet spot.
agerhbour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:

regards,

Jerry

Jerry, I was just wondering if you have/will get any feedback on these ideas from the guys that write the code?

Thanks, Alex.
EthanS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Comments on Soundpak2 Reply with quote

LOVE THE BASS / PIANO SPLITS !!

Can you now tweek the editor so we can mix and match patches with the left hand bass - THEN we'd have the BEST keyboard ever!

THANKS
EthanS

[quote="jerrythek"]We've been promising it for a while and we're happy to tell you we've posted the next Sound Pack for the SV-1. Visit www.korg.com/sv1 and read all about it, listen to a lot of demos, and download it if you have an SV-1. We'd love to hear your comments. have a great weekend!

Regards,

Jerry
Korg Guy

P.S. the data will also be available at www.korgpa.com and other Korg Distributor sites.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: