Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making DAW out of Microsampler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horvath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Making DAW out of Microsampler Reply with quote

... live looping, pad drumming, full control over samples and FX.

Watch the demo video, please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZflhQpyBNI

The looping catch in this video - I set sampling length and pattern length both to 4 bars, sampling trigger to "note on". There is a note for the selected sample in the pattern, starting from the beginning, and its length is 4 bars too. Therefore, sampling is engaged on the pattern restart, and sample starts over immediately after recording on the next step - just like the common loopers! Precise playing would reduce clipping, but it always occurs - no workaround yet. Maximum looping length is limited to the sample length measured in beats - 8 bars. Twice more than KP3!

Almost every sample or FX parameter is controlled via corresponding SysEx message. For example:

F0 42 30 7F 41 (10) 00 15 00 (3F) 00 F7 (set decay 63 for very first sample)
F0 42 30 7F 41 50 00 10 00 (10) 00 F7 (set FX depth to 16)

Novation SL controllers are the only ones to send SysEx messages with variable bytes. One thing left - discover all the messages and create templates. I've did it for you.

http://empytree.com/files/msmidi.zip
(my templates, sysex description, including detailed for effects, and SMF looping pattern to import)

Korg uses negative variables as well in some parameters (XX 00 and YY 7F, for example), fully reproducible only with two of Novation controls.

padKontrol is used obviously - notes for drum samples, and CC#12/13 for touchpad. It outputs MIDI-out to ZeRO, which merges it with its own data, finally fed to microSampler.
Gear: Kaossilator, KP3, R3, Wavedrum, microSampler, padKontrol, PX4D | Shure WH20, Godin ACS-SA, Fernandes Tremor 5X, Boss RC-50, Roland GR-20, Novation Zero SL MkII, Emagic AMT8, Soundcraft Compact 10

Last edited by Horvath on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Vortex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were you able to 'arm' the sampling mode on the microSAMPLER with a pedal? Was the pedal connected to the Novation first?

Great video btw,

Previous: Korg Karma, Roland XP-50, Korg ER-1 Electribe, Korg Kaoss Pad, Acid 2.0, Boss Pedals, Roland VS-840, Mixers...
Horvath

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the pedal was connected to Novation controller, sending NRPN message for sampling (it's described in the manual). That's true for the loops' template, on my drums' template the pedal sends message to arm pattern recording.
Gear: Kaossilator, KP3, R3, Wavedrum, microSampler, padKontrol, PX4D | Shure WH20, Godin ACS-SA, Fernandes Tremor 5X, Boss RC-50, Roland GR-20, Novation Zero SL MkII, Emagic AMT8, Soundcraft Compact 10
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you can change effects with the presets, correct? and you have the wet/dry effects on the cross fader, yes?

i watched your video two times in a row and it is very cool. if i got the mk1 of the zero, would it work about the same?

good job and thanks!
Horvath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl: Not only change effects with presets, but every parameter of any effect (and any sample) could be tweaked via encoders or sliders!

According to the manual for the ReMOTE Zero SL - yes, it would work! These controllers are pretty much the same. But check it's templates editor, free to download, "for the sake of good order".
Horvath

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About audio popping at the joint... that's the common problem, by the reason of starting or breaking PCM-wave "in the air" - it should be at zero point instead. Common loopers do shortest fade in and fade out on the loop's tips (while Microsampler doesn't - blame you, Korg). To work around it you can apply attack and release time to the sample. Microsampler doesn't support attack time for samples (blame you again, Korg), so all you can do - write loops in "one shot" mode, and playing them a bit shorter than them's length, with a respecitve release amount (3-5 out of 127).

I've done correction to templates and loops' pattern (available in the topic starting message).
jbl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question on the sample start with pedal. I have the kontrolpad by korg and it also has a pedal function. i just don't understand nprn, can i just set the footswitch to cc# 127 (i think that's what i read in the manual). is there something special i should do or will it even work? i would like to know before I buy a foot pedal so as not waste money.

thanks
Horvath

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl:

Try the following on padKontrol:
1) Set user message: B0 63 20 B0 62 11
2) Set pedal message: CC#6 127
3) Send user message to Microsampler.

From now on, pedal should trigger sampling button on Microsampler. Don't forget to use external power supply for padKontrol - messages aren't transmitted via MIDI out on USB-powered device.
jbl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as always, you're very helpful. i was talking to a friend who knows a bit more than me about midi and whatnot and we don't quite get nrpn.

how do i set user message? anyway, i'll read the kontrols manual again and see if i can find it for myself.

thanks horvath

edit; read over the manual and did a quick search and i don't think nrpn is supported on the padkontrol.
Horvath

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to be worry about NRPN messages on padKontrol with it's whatsoever user messages onboard. The trick is to send NRPN MSB and LSB messages once, after that you can trigger data entry MSB via CC#6 ad libitum. It was described by DeadVolume here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46676&&start=27 (relating to patterns' switching)

User messages are edited in Global Edit Window in padKontrol's editor (Ctrl+G).

It really works, just try it out.
shabby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: as as daw Reply with quote

i bought bome midi transaltor. u can catch all the parameters and have this as an output send plus have any other cc not whater midi message as input.. so now u can basically us all midi controllers
Horvath

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabby: It's cool, but it's a software. With an Ableton wired up, you don't need Microsampler at all. I'm building pure hardware setup, call me psycho.
shabby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont agree on not needing the MS with ableton running.. the workflow of live is so different for me.. plus the balance of complex sequences is easy to achieve in the MS.. easier than within live for me (i use a combi)

actually one of the strongpoints of the MS is its workflow: fast intuitive and in da miX good sounding..

EXCEPT FOR THE BLAMAGE OF NOT PUTTING IN AUTOLOOP After SAMPLING
KORG!!!!
costi_ebay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Making DAW out of Microsampler Reply with quote

Horvath wrote:

Novation SL controllers are the only ones to send SysEx messages with variable bytes.

Why you think the SL is the only midi controller capable of this?

Do you think Behringer BCR 2000 controller can send SysEx messages with variable bytes?

It will be a good option cause is a more cheaper way to control the Microsampler

Thanks
korakios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheap Behringer brc2000 is a nice machine...I think it can handle sysex (I sold it years ago and I can't remember) BUT there is an excellent forum with many files-presets-editors for the bcr at:

http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/bc2000/

You can check it out...

In the meantime I plan using a crappy netbook only for midi...using the keyboard for changing presets-effects-bank-patterns,the touchpad for xy controller and my ps3 controller Very Happy

@Horvath:you saved me hours from capturing it's parameter...thanks!I'll try making a midi translator if anyone interested....thanks!
Edit:How did you find the sysex parameters?Microsampler doesn't transmit anything to capture them...

First post: Hellooow Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: