Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Search feature is quite useless?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
some1uk03

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Search feature is quite useless? Reply with quote

The search feature on this forum is pretty useless..

Never brings any results to what I search for. Always shows just the latest posts without
any relevant info.

Someone needs to sort this out.

Rolling Eyes
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works just fine for me.
It's the standard search engine of phpBB forums the world over. I don't see anything wrong with it ?

Kind Regards
Sharp
PeterA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Works just fine for me.
It's the standard search engine of phpBB forums the world over. I don't see anything wrong with it ?

Kind Regards
Sharp

I really can't see how you can say "I dont see anything wrong with it" because for me it's more or less unusable. For instance how do I search for an exact phrase in a message text, the standard way in most search tools is to delimit the text with a " or ' - eg "manual bass feature". This simply does not work in here, I want to find message texts with that exact phrase in them, not the three separate words spread throughout the text. Also when you have a set of search results and click one to see the text, then hit the browser back button to see your search results again, it always says the page has expired. To me this make the whole search feature pretty useless, I can only think you don't perform many searches
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterA wrote:
...I want to find message texts with that exact phrase in them, not the three separate words spread throughout the text. Also when you have a set of search results and click one to see the text, then hit the browser back button to see your search results again, it always says the page has expired.

I understand your bitchyness as I too find the search engine less than stellar. However there are ways to achieve the results and ease of browsing you're looking for.

Use the 'Search for all terms' function in the keywords section and then choose which forum you would like to browse if you're working with a particular piece of equipment. That should narrow it down fairly well.

After you perform your search 'middle click' or choose to open links in a new tab as to not navigate away from your results (thereby making the page expire).
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
I understand your bitchyness as I too find the search engine less than stellar.

Let me rephrase that. It's frickin' light years away from any hint of 'stellar' - to not to use another word. Never managed to find anything for my T-series, as T1, T2, M1 and other two letter combinations are not even a search term for the engine. Wildcards don't work on these, either. And as some1uk03 wrote, joining terms (and, or, not) never worked for me. Narrowing down with 2000 threads and tons of categories in the list is not really an option - there're probably 2000 because nobody found what they wanted and started a new thread for their problem - as already discussed some weeks ago on another thread.

However, thanks for the tips Charles! I'll give them a try - but maybe a manual with such tips and tricks (like the ones given on the other thread) can ease the pain and would be worth a sticky.

Sharp, can we please do something about that? Would be soooooo good...
PeterA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: I agree with synthjoe Reply with quote

If there is one application where you need a decent search facility, then it is in a discussion group like this. If the thread you're interested in has only a few messages, then fine, but the one I'm intersested in has hundreds, am I really expected to trawl through every one, get serious.
To glibbly say I don't see anything wrong with the search facility shows a total lack of understanding.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I agree with synthjoe Reply with quote

phpBB search is terrible, its a sad fact of life.
PeterA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be the standard search engine for phpBB forums, but that doesn't disqualify it from being the worst search facility I have ever tried to use. It's a real shame, this is such a good forum yet made unusable by the search engine.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a real shame, this is such a good forum yet made unusable by the search engine.

So we have a good unusable forum ? Crying or Very sad
I pay for everything you see out of my own pocket and I get $0.00 in return. There are no Adds here that pay for fancy forum software and the server we badly need to keep us online. It's very hard work for such a popular website to manage all this.

Which would you prefer. A commercial website, or for us to stay free?

Regards
Sharp.
Aciphecs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up Sharp! I love this forum and can live without a "stellar" search function.

Much appreciated! Very Happy

BP Facebook Page

BP Youtube Channel
PeterA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all appreciate the great work that Sharp does to provide this forum for us and it is a great forum. It just could be that much better for want of a good search facility. This is powered by phpBB so it's those guys that I'm really talking about.
Evologix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:
It's a real shame, this is such a good forum yet made unusable by the search engine.

So we have a good unusable forum ? Crying or Very sad
I pay for everything you see out of my own pocket and I get $0.00 in return. There are no Adds here that pay for fancy forum software and the server we badly need to keep us online. It's very hard work for such a popular website to manage all this.

Which would you prefer. A commercial website, or for us to stay free?

Regards
Sharp.

I find the search function completely useless. What's worse, a lot of people are prickish too to noobies with basic questions. If you aren't prepared to answer the same questions over, don't participate or have a shitty search engine. And sure as f*ck don't be a teacher. Save those few bucks it costs to have this forum and go buy an ice cream sandwich.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the search engine is limited, granted. But the content is rich... if you really want an answer to your question, isn't it worth really looking?

I recently got a new keyboard and had questions (in fact I was completely stuck!). Search engine didn't produce results I hoped for. So, because I wanted an answer, I just went through each thread on all pages for that keyboard.

I found my answer and learned about 6 new, really useful things that I wouldn't have got from any search engine.

Do remember that this is not Korg's website - it is Sharp's and he does it for free. We aren't asked for fees - and I'd hate it if adverts were all over the place.

Where would you go if there wasn't korgforums.com? I haven't found anywhere better! Are all your friends absolutely perfect - or do you accept that everyone's different and you have to accept that despite failings you still like your friends?

That's this community here - friendly people trying to help each other and exchange views. None of us are perfect but we will still try and help - and we get help when we need it.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, all respect due to Sharp (and Daz) for giving the world 'Korg forums'. I'd even go as far as to seriously rephrase my earlier post in exchange for a bit smoother one.

However, it does not change the fact that I'm not going to repeat.

Isn't here anyone, amongst the good 20 some thousand members, anyone with adequate web/IT skills, who could help us poor fellas by doing something about it, or at least to advise?
Aciphecs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evologix wrote:

I find the search function completely useless. What's worse, a lot of people are prickish too to noobies with basic questions. If you aren't prepared to answer the same questions over, don't participate or have a shitty search engine. And sure as f*ck don't be a teacher. Save those few bucks it costs to have this forum and go buy an ice cream sandwich.

Man you need to get over yourself! I have read all your posts and from what I see is that you had a trouble recording your EMX and you didn't get the answer you wanted (although you did get some basic, valid, possible solutions) and you decided to start hating on our forum!

You are not adding to this community at all with your negative replies and post. This forum is a great resource and if you don't like it, don't come back.

It's really easy. Wink

BP Facebook Page

BP Youtube Channel
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: