Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LFO programming .. some Emx1 tips ! ( 4 part guide )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: LFO programming .. some Emx1 tips ! ( 4 part guide ) Reply with quote

Ok , i have finally cracked the mx in terms of Lfo action .. so thought i
would share the techniques for others to make use of .

Firstly , the Emx1 lacks the sine-wave type Lfo setting , so couple that with the standard tubes .. wobbling or zig-zagging isnt as easy to pull off in a convincing way .. at first !
However , some upgraded tubes and good use of the saw ( NOT tri ) lfo
type will give off some rich fat bass jiggling going on !!

there is still a lack of "whip" to the sound but the smooth wobbly low end is still within reach ... you just have to " do tha damn thing " .. !!

http://soundcloud.com/emex-1/lfo-demo

OK , first pick SYNTH OSC and set to " dual osc " and pick " tri-squ" wave .
Osc balance is at 092 and osc pitch is centered ( for my sound )

Go to "MODULATION" and press " bpm-sync" and set to "cutoff" .
Set the depth to " minus 37 " and the speed to " 1/8" .. alomost there .

Finally .. set "amp EG" to "hold-type" ( not slope-type ) , this is the important bit , so read this next part CAREFULLY to make wobble programming simple .

Set " Eg time" to 003 ( short attack ) so the wobble starts instantly , and set the "cutoff" to 005 to lower the tone .. and set " eg int " to 028 ... and
"resonance" to 020 ... with "drive" at 000 and the tubes at the first marker.

OK THATS THE SYNTH TONE MADE , PRESS C# ( key 4 ) and hear some decent noise coming from your MX .

END OF PART 1 .....

Last edited by reddone on Sun May 09, 2010 6:23 am; edited 4 times in total
reddone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: LFO programming .. get the wobble to sit right ! Reply with quote

right , so you have made the basic wobble bass .. now how to impliment it in a convincing way , once again read carefully to make things easier .

Ok , getting the tone is easy but getting the lfo to start wher you want can be a pain right ?? yes , but its not hard to overcome .

The tools you will need are "swing"and " swing-off/on" as a way to move your "wobble" into place with the rest of the track .....
and the other is just a good ear !!

make a 4x4 beat to follow and make it at 140 for example .
( make sure you save it this very point , IMPORTANT )

Now , centre the cutoff knob and also centre the " depth" on lfo ...
and press C# again , sounds crap eh ?? yes .. but not for long !!

Think of a note pattern for your lfo wobble , then record the basic notes of the pattern ... once you have them down , then set the "cutoff" knob to "original value" and the lfo "depth " knob to " original value " ..... and you will have a basic wobble pattern playin between the notes ... cool ???

I think so .

Last edited by reddone on Sat May 08, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
reddone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: LFO programming .. alternating the wobble ! Reply with quote

Lastly there is the part where you refine your lfo wobble to sound "tight" !!

This may be time consuming , but if you love your sounds it will be
something your glad you got into .

So , your pattern is playing .. is it sounding exactly the way you want ?
If not here is how to get it there , its to do with where you place the notes and whether they need moved a step forward or a step back .

for instance , record just one long wobble with the note started on
step 1 ( beat 1 / key 1 ) .. you will probably notice the lfo doesnt
follow the track correctly .. however if you press and hold " shift" and then
" move data +0.01" and press the flashing key again , the note will move to "step 2 / beat 2 / key 2" .. start the groove at the start again and the
"wobble" will be in time .

99% of the time i need to start my wobble notes on an off-time beat or 'even" number .. its just appears that lfo work seems to execute
better that way .

Lastly , tweaking the speed knob along to the beat will give a good load of interest to you sound .. so if you start on 1/8 then change to 1/12 and back to 1/8 while recording you will have a nice little mover grooving .

BUT .. you may not execute your tweaking precisely and will notice the groove sounds like its not quite right ... then you are going to have to
get into "step edit" and goto " motion dest , set to "mod speed" and
then go to "motion value" and start editing the "speed" knob settings so
that you can tighten that " wobble" up .

Last edited by reddone on Sat May 08, 2010 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
reddone

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: LFO programming .. tightening up ! Reply with quote

Right so , youve got things going and pretty happy .. but its still not right ?
Here is some tips for the motion editing system , its quite tricky but
very workable .

Basically , listen to your pattern and if there are any points where the lfo pattern seems behind or infront of the beat , then you need to change the value of the step that is before the spot where you want the lfo timing to change .

for example , if i have a 4x4 drum beat going and i want to change the lfo from 1/8 on beat 1 to 1/12 on beat 4 and the wobble is coming in slightly after beat four , then i will up the value slightly on beat 3 so that the lfo pattern is pulled back closer to beat four .. and i will keep replaying that part and upping the value on step 3 until i get the timing to be accurate on
beat 4 / step 4 ... you get that yeah ??

likewise if the lfo timing changed slightly before beat 4 , i would decrease the value on step 3 so that the lfo pattern moves forward slightly .

This is the final part to getting things tight , if you get it all then there should be nothing stopping you .

making duplicates of the original sound into other synth parts and changing the tone will give you more than one bass .. and you can start making " call & response" wobbles between synths ( the most common technique in dubstep and nu-skool breaks )

Well thanks for reading , i hope i have condensed my knowledge
in to a usefull tutorial that helps you step up your game .

Cheers

Last edited by reddone on Sun May 09, 2010 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
dman5000

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome post!
i can add one tip to it, when you reach the step where you're copying a synth part to another part to change the tone and stuff, def try changing the mod wave type or the mod destination of the new synth part, you can also make some crazy 'reese' style basses this way
reddone

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , i know it sometimes seem like there is no way to get it perfect .. but beleive me , there is ALWAYS a way .

P.s .. that tip you mentioned was at the very bottom of my last post lol , but yes that is quite a fundamental technique to learn .. keeps things interesting .
dman5000

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont mean to be semantic but what im saying is not in the bottom of your last post Wink
reddone

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha .. i misread .. sorry although i mentioned copying synths and changing the tone , i didnt mention any specifics such as what you suggested .

nicely pointed out sir Laughing

Cheers lol
dman5000

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i just wanted to elaborate a little on that last step, good post though especially setting the mod depth in the negative - real good tip
gil videla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link didn't work for some reason, can you check it?
jgams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the lfo to wobble in time. Most of the time when the pattern starts the emphasis of the lfo doesn't match up with the beat - say I want the filter cutoff to start high and then wobble, sometimes it starts low. I have spent a lot of time adjusting the motion value of the lfo so that it matches the beat and there is a smooth transition between steps, but I can't seem to get the lfo to activate properly (every time) for the first note in a sequence. I've tried shifting the data to the second step and even adding a bumper note with different mod values to the first step in an effort to activate the lfo before hand. Is this just the nature of the analog modeling or is there something I can do to have the lfo activate properly ~every~ time?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Josh

Edit: thanks for the great tutorial, btw!
Noci

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i just signed to this forum. im having the same problems as jgams.
every time i start the pattern or even press C two times after the other the traingle mod seems to start off at a different point. so the problem is i adjusted the wobble to match into my pattern quite good, then i started the pattern and the wobble came at a total different point.

so reddone as u said, there is ALLWAYS a way Wink

thanks noci

but the tutorial itself: the s**t;)
jgams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: swing Reply with quote

I was also wondering where "swing-off/on" come into play?
Mycoal Clawsin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgams wrote:
Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the lfo to wobble in time. Most of the time when the pattern starts the emphasis of the lfo doesn't match up with the beat - say I want the filter cutoff to start high and then wobble, sometimes it starts low. I have spent a lot of time adjusting the motion value of the lfo so that it matches the beat and there is a smooth transition between steps, but I can't seem to get the lfo to activate properly (every time) for the first note in a sequence. I've tried shifting the data to the second step and even adding a bumper note with different mod values to the first step in an effort to activate the lfo before hand. Is this just the nature of the analog modeling or is there something I can do to have the lfo activate properly ~every~ time?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Josh

Edit: thanks for the great tutorial, btw!

The waves will fall in sync if you use bpm sync. Otherwise, your setting the speed yourself. I know what you mean, it's very tedious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: