Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manuals for the original MS-20 - these should be useful!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outbackyak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Manuals for the original MS-20 - these should be useful! Reply with quote

I'm enjoying the iMS-20. I'm very familiar with analog synths so the Control Panel isn't a problem - everything does just exactly what I expect it to do, and once I found you could switch from Rotary to Linear mode in the Global Preferences section it has become instantly much more usable and controllable.

But the patch panel has me baffled - stuff doesn't do what I expect it too, and the help file is nigh on useless, since it doesn't even list what each patch point is for.

But I've been able to find what appear to be the actual original manuals for the genuine MS-20 (and all the others like the MS-10 and the very rare MS-50) http://www.korganalogue.net/korgms/msomans.html

I've not had a chance to really go through them yet, but for the MS-20 there's the full owners manual , which is infinitely more detailed than the woeful iMS-20 on-line help. It should be of great assistance to people struggling to understand what the controls actually do, and how the whole signal flow is configured and all that sort of stuff. Unfortunately it's in HTML, and some of the image links are broken.

The patching section isn't much better than the on-line help, but at least there's a full list of what each patch point does (but no diagram as far as I can see).

There's also a manual of patch settings (should be very useful) and a manual for the External Signal Processor section (but since as far as I know this does nothing except look pretty in the iMS-20, it probably isn't of much use to anyone.)

Of course there's no documentation for any of the features of the iMS-20 that didn't exist in the original MS-20 (KAOSS pads, sequencer, etc).

I've also found a PDF of the MS-20 Owners Manual http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Korg/MS_series/Korg_MS20_Owners_Manual.pdf It's virtually illegible in much of it, but it might be of some use.

I hope this helps people out in understanding the features and functions of the iMS-20.

Cheers!
WWWerner4Fun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ! Wink
Krog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent find. Thanks for posting it Laughing
Teenage Engineering : OP-1
Other : Samson Carbon 61 Midi Keys
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
DAW : Logic, Maschine
Studio : Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Behringer MS40 Monitors.
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
http://www.youtube.com/Krog360
im70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great resource! Thanks for posting it. The photos of specific patches are especially enlightening.
outbackyak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I thought this might be useful to some people. If anyone can find a PDF of the VST version, the MS-20 Legacy, that would also be useful too I think.

I've only been able to find one such PDF, and it's on a really dodgy Warez site, so I'm not going there! WOT rates it as the lowest possible "trustworthiness" rating, and I'm not going to risk getting some ghastly trojan just for the manual!

Cheers!

[EDIT: I've just put up a post in the MS-20 Legacy VSTi sub-forum here, asking if anyone can email me a PDF of the manual. Hopefully I'll get some response! ENDEDIT]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: