Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cchanging numbers of steps in the sequencer & drums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outbackyak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: cchanging numbers of steps in the sequencer & drums Reply with quote

I was just about to ask a question about the sequencer, specifically whether there was a way to change the number of steps of a pattern from the default 16 to some lower number, when I thought "why not check the user manual? the manual is bloody awful, but it might give me the answer." And for once it does.

For those of you who didn't know either, yes you can, and the manual tells you how to do it (see - miracles can happen!)
Quote:
RESET TRIG IN

You can use this jack to change the number of steps. Connect a patch cable from the "TRIG OUT" of the last step to this jack.

Or in other words if you want your sequence to be only 4 steps long connect a patch cable from the jack below the 4th set of knobs from the left to the Reset Trig In input (second jack from the left in the next row down of jacks).

Exactly the same method works for the DRUMS section, but you have to go to the SEQ EDIT page for each drum.

The truly wonderful thing about this is that you can set a different number of steps for each drum!

So you can create ever-changing poly-rhythms.
Let's say you've got a straightforward kick/snare/ pattern that lasts 16 steps. So that's a Kick on 1, a snare on 5, a kick on 9. and a snare on 13.

Chuck in a random high hat pattern (not just on every step, there have got to be at least some silent steps for this to work).

Hit SEQ EDIT for the hihat. Then connect the jack for the (say) 15th step to the Reset trig in.

Now when you hit the play button your kick and snare are still cycling through 16 steps but your hihat isn't; it's cycling every 15 steps so it gets progressively further and further out of sync with the kick snare pattern.

And you can do this for any or all of the drum channels with each of them set to a different number of steps, so you can make some of the weirdest patterns I've ever heard from any drum machine. I can't think of another drum machine that lets you do this sort of thing so easily, if at all.

I mean, in Reason, my main PC music program I can do it - it's possible - but the only way to do it is to use multiple instances of the ReDrum drum machine, each set to a different number of steps. I'd need 6 Redrums to do what you can do with one DRUMS in the iMS-20. Not a very efficient way of working, and potentially a CPU problem too, as each extra ReDrum adds a bit more load on the CPU.

This may not be news to some of you, but it blew me away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: