Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG TR 88 - Problem w MIDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkennedy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: KORG TR 88 - Problem w MIDI Reply with quote

Hello,

Hoping someone could help me out with his....

I've had a KORG TR 88 for a few years and I now want to use it as a MIDI Controller in Logic, but more importantly I want to use the patches/sound bank from the Korg in Logic.
I believe I've figured it out for the Logic part, (it notices the Korg and program changes and will record MIDI events, but no luck as far as using the Korg's sounds as suppose to Logic's.
As I've searched high and low on the net and forums, and after reading a bunch I've noticed that the Korg I have, doesn't have a Global 2.1 section (where supposedly one can change some MIDI settings in there).. In my Korg I can only find Global 1.1, no 2.1, and there are no MIDI settings coming up in Global 1.1 (I've read that maybe the problem would be within the Korg and it's MIDI settings, like Local ON/OFF or something)

I'm wondering if I have to upload the Korg's operating system, or if the one I got isn't compatible (but why would it have MIDI connectors and is showing up in Logic for midi events, and also Logic recognizes the Patch Names from the Korg)

Anyways, I'd really appreciate the help,

Thanks!!!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can use the TR to play Logic's sounds then there is no problem. By the way you access the 'MIDI' section in Global mode using the 'Menu' button, same as you do to edit the sounds in Program or Combi mode.

Anyway, you won't get the sounds of the Korg into your computer by USB (which provides a high speed virtual MIDI-over-USB), or by the MIDI ports. MIDI is a protocol that allows you to tell other synths what to do. For example you can record MIDI into logic, and actually edit the notes you played, and send it to another hardware synth, a softsynth in logic, or back to the TR itself to get that to play the notes and controllers you played but using that synth's sounds.

If you want to get the sound of your Korg into Logic, then you'll need to connect its main audio outputs into the inputs of your audio interface or soundcard, just like you would for any other instrument. The only difference is that you'll get best results by recording the Korg in stereo.

By the way, I'm not sure why you posted in "testing this forum":
Quote:
Testing This Forum
Here you can test this forum and post any suggestion you have, comments or requests.
Moderators Sharp, chordial

A more appropriate place to post would have been the Triton LE & TR section:
Quote:
Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
Discussion relating to the Korg Triton LE and Korg TR
Moderators Sharp, chordial

Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
mkennedy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,

I actually just joined yesterday so I'm not too familiar with the site, hence me posting in 'testing this forum'. After this post I'll start posting in the proper areas but I thought I'd reply here to make things easier. Thanks for the help.

So, I understand what MIDI is and what it does.. but I guess my question is, How do I set my Korg set up so that Logic uses the Korg's patches/sounds rather than it's own soft synths. Rather than just recording the Korg as audio with 1/4" , I'd like use it as a sound bank, getting Logic to fetch it's patches and apply them to MIDI tracks I have going in Logic.

I've gone through the whole External MIDI Instrument process in Logic and so far I can get the Korg to act as a MIDI Controller no problem, but can't seem to get it set up so that the Korg just acts a sound bank.

I found the Global 2.1 (that was just stupidity on my part) , and from what I understand I should have the settings as - MIDI Clock: External-USB, and Local Control Off.

I obviously must be missing something here, whether it's the settings on the Korg to properly communicate with Logic, or I'm not setting up the External MIDI settings in Logic properly.

Thank you for your help X-trade, it's really appreciated!

I'll paste this in the proper Korg forum too...

Just incase this effects anything, I have an other MIDI keyboard hookedup (Edirol PCR) but it's just acting as a MIDI Controller, nothing else.
Also, Logic recognizes the patch names from the Korg, and there are program changes being recognized (If I select a patch name in Logic under the External Midi Instrument that is affiliated with the Korg, it changes the patch on the Korg screen itself) so they're obviously communicating, everything but the Korg's actual patch sounds..

Thanks again!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Testing This Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: