Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metronome?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMG1297

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Metronome? Reply with quote

I am using iMS20 for iPad but there's an annoying metronome sound when I try to create a new pattern. It sounds every 4 measures and the sound is the chosen sound in synth mode. It's a constant note and interferes with everything. Korg Support say the setting to stop it is SEQ EDIT but I can't find anything in that section referring to it. Help! Surprised
outbackyak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it threw me too. You can stop the sound temporarily by pressing the square white button in the "Playback" section at the top of the screen - but of course, that stops the drums you are trying to program too!

To stop it permanently you have to go to the Sequencer panel (touch and hold the synth panel in full screen - not in Zoom mode - pull down, and the sequencer will appear - three rows of 16 knobs).

You need to turn down the 1st knob at the left in the bottom row. The row is labelled Channel C "Gate". (It's this gate knob that is making the note play - you'll see that all the other gate knobs are at zero, so they don't play any notes). Problem solved! Maybe ...

If channel C is not labelled "gate" but instead is labelled "param3" or "volt.C", or there is no third row at all, you are in one of the 3 other sequencer modes. See the 4 square buttons in the top left of the sequencer? Press the one labelled "Note" and now turn down the 1st knob at the left in the bottom row.

Should be fixed now. PM me if you have problems.

PS: The Note section of the sequencer is where you can program a melody or bass line to go with the drum pattern you are making. Top row controls note pitch, middle row controls what octave the note plays in, and the bottom row controls (sort of) how long the note plays for.

At low gate settings but above zero (and assuming the Release in Envelope Generator 2 is set to 0 or just above) you get a staccato note, as you wind the gate up the note gets longer and less staccato.

It basically controls how long the note is held for relative to the step length. There are only 6 possible settings: 0% (the note does not sound), 25% (staccato), 50% (less staccato) 75% (fairly long), 100% (full step length), and Legato (exactly the same as 100%, except Envelope Generator 2 isn't triggered for the next note after any legato note).

This legato effect is only really noticeable if the Attack in envelope generator 2 is set above zero. At Attack = zero Legato sounds pretty much identical to setting gate to 100% (not strictly speaking true - you'll also hear differences between Legato and 100% with some other Envelope settings, but it's close enough for now).

If you increase the attack to around 4, it's easy to hear the difference between Legato and 100% settings for the gate parameter.

I don't think I've explained that very well! I hope I haven't confused you, but try playing around with the sequencer - it's a lot of fun. The other three settings apart from "Note", (Parameter, Vol/Pan & Voltage), can do some awesome stuff too, but it gets a bit technical ...
TMG1297

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, got rid of it. Can't understand why that is the only knob that wasn't set at zero?Such a quick fix that Korg couldn't even give me! Thanks again...
outbackyak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMG1297 wrote:
Cheers for that, got rid of it. Can't understand why that is the only knob that wasn't set at zero?Such a quick fix that Korg couldn't even give me! Thanks again...

No problems - happy to help. That KORG couldn't help you doesn't surprise me in the slightest; their user support is woeful, and the manual is useless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: