Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AL-1 questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: AL-1 questions Reply with quote

1) How come the sub oscillator so restricted? Only square or triangle seems to be allowed, and the pitch is locked to being one octave below Osc 1. Moss was much better specified in that you could select between saw/sq/tri/sin waveforms and it had completely independent pitch and pitch-modulation respectively. It was effectively a third basic oscillator. The issue could be glossed over if the AL-1 had three main oscillators plus the restricted sub (like the Access Virus), rather than two main oscillators plus restricted sub.

Which brings me to...

2) Why no third oscillator in AL-1? On the Radias I always have to use two patches to get around this same limitation (oscillators 1 and 2 making up one patch, and oscillator 3 and a sub as a second patch) where one patch should normally suffice. It's exceptionally difficult to program in practice as the two patches are running into their respective filters (rather than in serial config), with different LFOs and so on rather than being treated as a whole, and it also eats twice the polyphony.

3) Is there a sine oscillator waveform? I can see Saw, Pulse, Saw/Pulse, Double Saw, Detuned Saw 1, Detuned Saw 2, Triangle, Square/Triangle, but no sine? Not even on the osc 2 or sub.

4) Is the FM's modulator restricted to oscillator 1? Allowing noise and/or audio-in as the modulator would be nice. (Using noise as a modulator at low intensities generates an entirely unique sound that is not possible via any other way). However I guess MOD-7 covers this better?

5) Do the LFOs have one-shot mode (without using an EG)?

6) Any chance for user LFOs?

7) No comb-filter (ŕ la Radias)?

8) No decimator, pickup, hard-clip waveshaping?

9) Is the "audio-in" strictly for external line-in sources, or can internal sounds be routed to it (such as HD-1 or your own samples)?

10) Can you place Drive pre-amp or pre-filter as required? (Like on Radias) I really liked this feature.

11) Why, given the extremely low aliasing and, quote, "Its patented ultra-low-aliasing oscillators recreate all the power and glory of true analog synthesis— without the artifacts that can plague lesser instruments." do the discrete knob/midi steps still have no interpolation (smoothing) between knob values? The ultra high sound quality just enhances this terrible quantizing monstrosity in all its glory and goes directly against the "without the artefacts that can plague less instruments" soundbite.

Thanks, Tímo
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AL-1 questions Reply with quote

Hi Timo,

Not at my OASYS right now so can't give you loads of information.

Most of your instincts are correct and the limitations you see are real. I'll try to provide answers to your questions below each one.

1) How come the sub oscillator so restricted? Only square or triangle seems to be allowed, and the pitch is locked to being one octave below Osc 1. Moss was much better specified in that you could select between saw/sq/tri/sin waveforms and it had completely independent pitch and pitch-modulation respectively. It was effectively a third oscillator. The issue could be glossed over if the AL-1 had three main oscillators plus sub (like the Access Virus), rather than two main oscillators plus sub.

> Sorry - alas it is as you describe!

2) Why no third oscillator in AL-1? On the Radias I always have to use two patches to get around this same limitation (oscillators 1 and 2 making up one patch, and oscillator 3 and a sub as a second patch) where one patch should normally suffice. It's exceptionally difficult to program in practice as the two patches are running into their respective filters (rather than in serial config), with different LFOs and so on rather than being treated as a whole.

> Don't compare AL-1 to Radias - in any way - ther are not the same, in any way. don't go there (you'll just frustrate yourself)!! No third oscillator but read below.

3) Is there a sine oscillator waveform? I can see Saw, Pulse, Saw/Pulse, Double Saw, Detuned Saw 1, Detuned Saw 2, Triangle, Square/Triangle, but no sine? Not even on the osc 2 or sub.

> need to check the docs but if you've checked it's probably not there!

4) Is the FM's modulator restricted to oscillator 1? Allowing noise and/or audio-in as the modulator would be nice. (Using noise as a modulator at low intensities generates an entirely unique sound that is not possible via any other way). However I guess MOD-7 covers this better?

> Oh yes - MOD-7 covers this (understatement of the century!!). MOD-7 is a beast!

5) Do the LFOs have one-shot mode (without using an EG)?

> No!

6) Any chance for user LFOs?

> No! though others may have something to say on this. I believe you can do complex things with the LFO's I can't remember. And - through AMS mixers, you can multiply LFO's and create very complicated modulation sources.

7) No comb-filter (ŕ la Radias)?

> Again - no - do't compare to Radias!!!

8 No decimator, pickup, hard-clip waveshaping?

No - not in the synth engine but remember even the OASYS Insert, Master and Total effects are gernuinely awesome - and Kronos has those and probably more. So a lot of this will be available as an insert effect (the list is significant). you can chain 12 insert effects! I recommend you log into www.korguser.net and download the OASYS Parameter Guide to see the complete list. I do not use the effects you describe - but to put in context I can verify that the OASYS O-Reverb is better than the TCElectronics M2000 Reverb - so this will give you a sense of the quality of the onboard effects.

9) Is the "audio-in" strictly for external line-in sources, or can internal sounds be routed to it (such as HD-1 or your own samples)?

> I believe you cannot route HD-1 or your own samples into AL-1

10) Can you place Drive pre-amp or -filter as required? (Like on Radias) I really liked this feature.

> Don't understand your question but there is a Drive knob in the output Amp page that does what it says on the tin.

11) Why, given the extremely low aliasing and, quote, "Its patented ultra-low-aliasing oscillators recreate all the power and glory of true analog synthesis— without the artifacts that can plague lesser instruments." do the discrete knob/midi steps have no interpolation (smoothing) between knob values? The ultra high sound quality just enhances this terrible artefact monstrosity in all its glory.

> There was a smoothing algorithm placed in OASYS OS update 1.2 - so the movement of controllers sounds totally smooth - I use the MS20EX with just filter resonance (no oscillator - MS20's filter 'self resonates') and LFO modulate it, assign speed and depth to the Joystick and it may as well be a 70's MS20, Monopoly or similar synth - so you will get ultra-smoot realtime control, have no worries on that front.

Overall, AL-1 is incredibly powerful. I'm a classic-polysynth user, and AL-1 can outstrip the Prophet 10, Prophet T-8 and CS80 for sheer 'might' (I own all of the three of those classics). If can also sound ultra-modern because its filters, huge LFO and Step-Sequencer options; combined with awesome Insert effects, makes it incredibly versatile. Its low alaising oscillators are hugely adventageous. But - AL-1 is NOT Radias, NOT Minimoog or Voyager and NOT a Virus. You need to hear AL-1 and test out in person if it is the primary reason you want Kronos. But remember- Kronos also comes with MS20EX and PolysixEX - and these are both excellent too. Much of what you want will come from MS20EX - it is inicredibly good - it is very edgy and harsh but because it's polyphonic it can sound huge.

Remember too that all Kronos synth have a Polyphonic Unison mode where yoy can easily stack oscillators. So for example - while not quite the Moog 3-oscillator mode; you could use AL-1 with two oscillators an octave apart, and then just set Unison to 2 notes, meaning you instantly have a 4 oscillator per note polyphonic VA setup. I've used this on a patch with two AL-1 Engines, each playing double saw waves, with Unison set to 16 notes - giving a jaw-dropping 64 oscillators per note! With detune, stereo spread, Drive and Inserts - it's GARGANTUAN!

So fear not - if AL-1 doesn't give you what you want - it's you - not AL-1 !!! Smile

Overall, between the three VA options, you'll have 99% of your requirements covered!

Hope this helps a bit.

Kevin
WWW: www.knect.ie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: