Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we talk the EFX sction of the Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
Hi all,

The effects structure lets you use 16 simultaneous effects- 12 inserts, 2 masters, and 2 total effects. Each individual Program does have access to all 16 of these slots, but it is very rare that you'll find them all used just for a single sound.

While you're sequencing, there is a convenient way to append the list of used effects, so you don't have to recreate them every time. When you use the "Copy From Program" command, check "IFX- All used," and it will add the program's used effects, starting with the first empty slot.

-Rich

That's really nice, but I don't use the sequencer...I'm assuming this works when importing programs into Combis as well?
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that's basically the m3's and oasys' structure, with 2 inserts in place of 5 and the same 2 tfx and 2 mfx

when I said "recreate the effects" I knew of course of the "copy from program" command.

issue was (is?) that when you've got in a song

a well-processed rhodes
a processed drumset
a vocoder
a compressed bass

on the m3 and oasys you were more or less f***ed up (and the copy from program process required [requires?] rerouting and shortcuts.

16 inserts are of course far more spacious than 5

Yet, I hope there's a way of simply "copy from program" two or thre times without having to manually reroute IFX.

releasing the manual in advance would really be a smart marketing move: prospect clients would desist from meaningless forum speculation and would start evaluating the features on paper.
RichF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

That's really nice, but I don't use the sequencer...I'm assuming this works when importing programs into Combis as well?

Yes, it works in Combi mode as well.
Ozz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT

@ozy

Osses, that is my last name.
Definitely Ozz looks better than Oss, and I wont change that xD
See you, my fellow namesake Wink

Regards.
Alvaro.
Dr. Who

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
on the m3 and oasys you were more or less f***ed up (and the copy from program process required [requires?] rerouting and shortcuts.

16 inserts are of course far more spacious than 5

Yet, I hope there's a way of simply "copy from program" two or thre times without having to manually reroute IFX.

releasing the manual in advance would really be a smart marketing move: prospect clients would desist from meaningless forum speculation and would start evaluating the features on paper.

I think sadly Korg stayed pat here with their usual. It's the same for the Triton, M3 and OASYS. This really is a downer about the new flagship... Using a TI in multi mode is just plain awesome when you have 16 channels and 16 simultaneous patches with original effects; what you place in each channel is what you get nooo tweaking necessary. You can one shot record and save ooodles of time. Man oh man Korg... what will it take to change this. I record a lot of the OASYS in multi mode and this is such a pain in the #$(&( unless you track each channel separately, it's a pain to get all of the effects in properly and usually it doesn't sound exaclty the same as the auditioned patch.
bobbybland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
Hi all,

The effects structure lets you use 16 simultaneous effects- 12 inserts, 2 masters, and 2 total effects. Each individual Program does have access to all 16 of these slots, but it is very rare that you'll find them all used just for a single sound.

While you're sequencing, there is a convenient way to append the list of used effects, so you don't have to recreate them every time. When you use the "Copy From Program" command, check "IFX- All used," and it will add the program's used effects, starting with the first empty slot.

-Rich

Thanks Rich
sani

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Who wrote:

I think sadly Korg stayed pat here with their usual. It's the same for the Triton, M3 and OASYS. This really is a downer about the new flagship... Using a TI in multi mode is just plain awesome when you have 16 channels and 16 simultaneous patches with original effects; what you place in each channel is what you get nooo tweaking necessary. You can one shot record and save ooodles of time. Man oh man Korg... what will it take to change this. I record a lot of the OASYS in multi mode and this is such a pain in the #$(&( unless you track each channel separately, it's a pain to get all of the effects in properly and usually it doesn't sound exaclty the same as the auditioned patch.

The "effect problem" is essentially a mathematical problem. And there are two approaches on most keyboards on the market. You either have a limited number of effects for a single patch or you have a certain number of effects which you can equally share in any way you like between either the single or the multi mode.
The Kronos gives you 12 insert effects and doesn't limit you how you'll use them. Other keyboards give you 16 effects, but you can use only one or two per patch.
The fantom g for example has one insert effect per patch and thus you have any patch with its own insert effect in a multitimbral mode, where the patch sounds "exactly" as it does in the patch mode.
I don't see any advance there because of a couple of reasons. First, it limits you to create more complex effect combinations in patch mode because you can use only one effect, second, what sounds good in patch mode, doesn't necessarily sound good in a mix mode. Often, the single patches/programs are programmed to sound fat, full, to catch your attention. That's not what you necessarily want in a multitimbral mix because 6 or 10 sounds "fight" for the attention of your ear. You have to adjust the effects to make each single timbre sounding right.
In the same way, on a motif you can use up to 8 patches with their own insert effects in a multitimbral mode, but the next 8 don't have any insert effect at all.
On Korg it requires additional time, but when you listen carefully to the programs, you'll often see that some effects are there, doing nothing unless you move a controller to activate them. If you don't need that, you don't need to copy that effect. You'll have one slot more for other stuff.
Most of the acoustic stuff will hardly need more than eq adjusting if the samples are good.
So, I still prefer the Korg way, where I can create a fat sound with a lot of effects on a single timbre, instead of the other way where I'm limited to one or two effects, just so that it sounds the same when I port it over to a multitimbral mix.
Actually not even than it sounds the same because different programs use different master effects. It never sounds exactly the same in multi mode.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick here, in my experience, is to beef up the drums, bass and leads and the other lesser instruments i just feed thru a reverb - that sort of a layout seems to work for most - usually i will throw a delay in there that 1 or 2 instruments share
album cover
Link

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free to use inserts FTW!!! I don't usually need more than 8 inserts(heck my Fantom-X hardened me with its expansive 3 effects), but theres still risk, that I'd empty my spice rack too soon. Why only 12 effects and not more sexy looking 16, or even something game changing? How many Oasys had? If its a processor thing, don't be cheap on that.

Fortunately theres the audio tracks then. I actually usually work with audio anyway, and I'm not afraid of external effects either.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DO have 16 FX... 12 insert, 2 master, 2 total. OASYS was exactly the same in this regard.
Link

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to say insert effects. I'd like to have them more, but these are already pretty sufficient and I appreciate their routing more, than certain systems effects structures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: