Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QUESTION TO KORG: Alternating/Switching sounds in a combi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mymusic42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: QUESTION TO KORG: Alternating/Switching sounds in a combi Reply with quote

When the OASYS first came out, there was a feature in the Alesis Fusion that would allow me to switch sounds in a combi with a button/footswitch. For example, if I had a combi split that had bass in the left half and piano in the right half. I could press a button and the piano would be replaced by another predefined sound, like strings.

I asked if this was possible in the OASYS and Jerry from Korg gave me a solution which uses Karma in a non traditional way. I will paste the conversation below. But my question to Korg is A) is this still supported and b) does the Kronos offer any new features which can handle this better?

Keep in mind my ultimate goal is to change only one part of the combi, not change the whole combi. I don't think the set list would work, especially if i were playing a combi that had an active drum track going.

Thanks.

FROM NOV 2005:
Quote:
on a slightly related note, is there any way to assign some controller to enable/disable a sound in a combi (for example a piano is being played and you hit a switch and the piano is muted/disabled and another sound takes over)?

the alesis fusion (which i briefly owned prior to buying an oasys) had a combi parameter called alternate range. in most synth combi's you can specificy velocity/key zone ranges for when particular sounds in a combi will trigger. with the fusion, you could also use this alternate range and assign it so that a sound would trigger if the sustain pedal was pressed down or if the mod wheel had a certain value. that made it easy to seamless to transition between sounds, it could be done with one motion (even a hands free motion) and it didn't rob voices.

is there someway to emulate this on the oasys? it was the one groundbreaking thing about the fusion....

FROM JERRY AT KORG (11-14-05)

Thanks for reminding me of this:

There is a little known parameter related to KARMA that could help you with automatically switching On and Off timbres. It's found on the Timbre Parameter Tab, on the WaveSeq/KARMA Page, called Timbre KARMA Off Control.

It can be used to turn timbres On or Off when you turn On the KARMA function. Note that you don't have to be running any KARMA GEs when this occurs, so it simply becomes a way of automating the On/Off status of a sound.

Try it on one of your own non-KARMA-fied Combis (meaning that on the KARMA Tab: GE setup page none of modules are set to "Run"): set one of your Timbres to Timbre Off By KARMA Off, and another to Timbre Off by KARMA On. Now turn on and off the KARMA button and you'll see how it works.

Note: I am required by licensing agreements to now state that of course you would WANT to actually use KARMA in your sounds, and my above statement in no way should be taken as condoning the non-use of KARMA!

Smile

OK - just having some fun here!

Try it - it's a very cool performance tip for doing exactly what you're talking about.

Regards,

Jerry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature will most likely come from the Karma / M3 world. I can do that on my M3 with the SW1 / SW2 buttons above the joystick. Careful Karma programming etc....

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
This feature will most likely come from the Karma / M3 world. I can do that on my M3 with the SW1 / SW2 buttons above the joystick. Careful Karma programming etc....

I think it would be nice if you could describe that to the guy Smile I've been using this on OASYS for years and works great.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no Karma in used... can't we just use two SetList and use the SST (Seamless Sounds Transition) system to switch from one to the other? I know it take two combi and less fun to program it... but it should work too.

Phil
mymusic42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm certainly going to explore setlists.

but if i have a drum track going, that will be a problem.
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
If there's no Karma in used... can't we just use two SetList and use the SST (Seamless Sounds Transition) system to switch from one to the other? I know it take two combi and less fun to program it... but it should work too.

Phil

That was going to be my suggestion as well Phil...

Ex Korg UK Technical Support 2002 - 2010

Forum Moderator since 2011

When Words Fail, Music Speaks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: