Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

re-writing a synth part

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewaiter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: re-writing a synth part Reply with quote

hi folks, just recently downloaded the iPad App, i'm seriously impressed with it.

couple of things, if I have cocked up a bass part, how do i re-record it? i can't find anythign that deletes the previous sequence of notes ?

secondly, if I have chosen an arp sound as part of the drum kit, is there anyway of using the modulation wheel to change the filters, to give the a rising zingy sound ?

Kevin
outbackyak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there is no one-touch way to delete a sequence. There ought to be, but I can't find it. You could just just load a new session, but that gets rid of everything else you may have recorded and initialises the patch, so this probably won't work for you

I guess you've recorded this live from the pop-up keyboard? If it's just one bum note, and it's in the right place, you might be able to play the correct note in as an overdub, but I don't like your chances - I screwed it up completely trying it out Laughing

Which only leaves you one option AFAIK: you'll have to manually edit the recorded sequence. The sequence you have recorded on the keyboard is stored in the sequencer, so if you go to full screen view view, tap and hold the section that says VOLTAGE CONTROLLED AMPLIFIER, and pull down, the sequencer appears - 3 rows of knobs.

The top row (pitch) controls the note played for each step, the middle row (octave) controls what octave the note plays in, and the bottom row (gate) controls how long the note plays for. Each set of 3 knobs controls one step - 16 steps reading from left to right.

So if you just need to edit the pitch you need to turn the knob in the top row that is playing the wrong note until it is playing the correct note. If the problem is that the note is right, but the timing is wrong you can silence a bum note by turning the gate control for the step to 7 o'clock, or you change it's length here by winding it up. By playing about with all three sets of knobs you can edit the sequence any way you want.

Or if you want to start again completely from scratch you are going to have to turn all 48 knobs to the correct position - that's 12 o'clock for the note and octave knobs, and 7 o'clock for the gate knobs

BTW, the sequencer has 4 independent modes controlled by the 4 square buttons on the left. For editing note data you want the Note mode button to be grey (selected) but the other 3 modes can do some seriously whacky stuff and they are independent of the note mode so you can use all 4 modes at once.

In answer to your second question - I haven't been able to figure it out, or at least, not properly - I can't find a way to record your mod wheel in the drums section.

If you select Sound Edit for the arp sound in the Drums section it takes you to the synth panel for that sound. In the patch panel connect a patch cord from the mod wheel output (it has a little semicircle above it - it's the second knob from the right in the bottom row just above the External Signa; Processor), and connect it to the Low Pass Filter Cutoff jack (5th from left, top row). Make sure the EG2/EXT knob under the LPF section is wound up.

You now have mod wheel control of the cutoff, and while you are still in this edit mode you can use the mod wheel as you describe: move the mod wheel up and you get a rising zingy sound.

Unfortunately when you go back to the drums section, there's no mod wheel. If you go to Seq Edit for the sound there's no mod wheel when you bring up the keyboard - it has selection buttons for the 6 drum sounds instead.

You can't do it with the Kaoss pads for the drum section either - unlike the main Kaoss pads you can't select drum synth parameters in the left Kaoss pad, it's fixed as being Volume and Pan. Nor can you use the sequencer for this, as it doesn't have a parameter mode (the main sequencer does). Even if it did it wouldn't store

So I think you are stuffed Laughing I don't think it's possible to record mod wheel data for the drum sounds, which is a real shame. You can't even record it by live tweaking and recording the audio output to your computer - no mod wheel again.

In fact, you can't even record the mod wheel for the main synth parts - you can tweak it live, but you can't record it as far as I can see. The only way I could get it to record the mod wheel was to assign it to mod wheel in the left Kaoss pad and record the data from there.

Has anybody else worked out a way to do this stuff? There's got to be a way to record the mod wheel doesn't there? Maybe not for the drum sounds, but at least for the main synth without using the Kaoss pad?
thewaiter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality reply,

that's a good fix for the first prob, appreciate it.

as for the second prob, shame... but for £10 it's not going to do everything! Cool

it would also be great if you could sync up to another iPad app like rebirth, maybe in an update Very Happy

thanks once again
monoRAIL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the easiest way to blank out a part of a synth loop is to open the kaos pads, hit record and record a silent note (by pressing the bottom of the right kaos pad) over the mistake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: