Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

73 or 88 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: 73 or 88 ? Reply with quote

I'm probably going to order either a 73 or 88, but being a weekend warior and a 98 lbs weakling, I'm having a difficult time deciding. The 88 is only 6 lbs heavier. Either way it's going to be a bitch carting in and out of a car. I'll never buy a 61 key because it just isn't enough keys for piano. I know, I know, buy the 61 and get an 88 lightweight controller, but now is the hastle of midi and lugging more than one board to a gig. I'm lazy and old. Anyone else having the same frustration? Rolling Eyes
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 or 88 ? Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
I'm probably going to order either a 73 or 88, but being a weekend warior and a 98 lbs weakling, I'm having a difficult time deciding. The 88 is only 6 lbs heavier. Either way it's going to be a bitch carting in and out of a car. I'll never buy a 61 key because it just isn't enough keys for piano. I know, I know, buy the 61 and get an 88 lightweight controller, but now is the hastle of midi and lugging more than one board to a gig. I'm lazy and old. Anyone else having the same frustration? Rolling Eyes

Maybe this will seem like preaching but... Ever since I bought Kaces's softbag for my OASYS 88, my life has changed for the better. First, I can use its wheels to roll it around. Secondly, it's much more comfortable to carry it that way. Also, it's more manageable when two people carry it around.

What I'm trying to say is that you should consider the whole package - keyboard with a bag or case, whatever. In that respect, 88-key version might not be that much more of a hassle. It offers more space for split and layer which comes handy at times.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@drama1, what keyboards do you have? Will you be using any of them with the Kronos?

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have the M3-73 loaded. I really like the C to C configuration. The Kronos 73 has E to E, but I'm sure I could get used to it. It's the only board I use. I really like the idea of only one keyboard, sooo much less hastle moving-wise and no mixer involved. I use a small powered monitor with line out to the soundman. Easy as can be. I'm starting to consider whether the sound quality will make much of a difference live between the Kornos and M3. I'm strictly a live player, no recording, not trying to be a rockstar. I've had the M3 since it was first released. Banged around every weekend. So it's about time for a new board. Like I said in my post, the 88 is only 6 lbs heavier, but then on a tight stage, which we often play, the 73 would accomodate better. I don't know, I'm having a hard time deciding the pros and cons of 73 vs. 88. If the Kornos was 73 semiweighted, C to C, I would have one on order right now. Thanks.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess size does matter.

Re stage footprint - I wouldn't think a foot's difference in width would be a big decider -- we usually manage to shoehorn everyone's gear on no matter how small the napkin they did the stage design on was... shades of Spinal Tap.

More of an issue is what you're driving -- car not speaker - because the 88 is a very tight squeeze side to side in the back and makes a ridiculously unsafe view-blocking passenger in the front even when seats are fully reclined.

If you don't have at least a minivan, your choice may be already made for you.

Just sayin'

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the weighted 73. I owned the M3-73 and did not like the layout. On the M3, middle C is above the center of the keyboard and that really screwed me up. With all other keyboards, middle C is either at or below the center of the keyboard. Everything seemed either too high or too low.

To OP, remember you're reducing bulk as well as weight with the 73. It has 88% of the weight but 85% of the bulk when compared against the 88. So, how often do you use those 7 or 8 notes at the extreme end of the keyboard.

Busch.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for my needs I wish they'd made it the C to C configuration. I frequently use the low octave, rarely use the top most octave, and going down to at least the low C is more of a justification for spending hundreds more than what the 61 note board goes for.

Being that the 73 note board is compromised for me, if I get one of the longer boards it would prob be the 88.

I WISH THEY'D PUT THE DAMN JOYSTICK/RIBBON ON TOP! My Nord Stage 88 does this, and not only is it easier to reach, it makes the 88 note short enough to fit in most 76 note bags!

On a more positive note, I notice they've trimmed off almost 4 pound off the 61 note Kronos compared to the M3. Bravo! And for an 88 note weighted board with a good action and steel body, 50 pounds is a lot better than 70!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
I'm looking forward to the weighted 73. I owned the M3-73 and did not like the layout. On the M3, middle C is above the center of the keyboard and that really screwed me up. With all other keyboards, middle C is either at or below the center of the keyboard. Everything seemed either too high or too low.

Can't you just move your bench over a few inches? Wink

I prefer the C-to-C layout. If you're piano-focussed, C is the most common playing key, which makes a low C useful. And real pianos and organs almost always have a C on top. When playing organ, swiping up to that high C is such a common maneuver, it's nice not to have to worry about over-shooting.

And for a 76, I would add 3 more to the bottom, giving it the same bottom A a real piano has, and then also the top key would still be a C as it "should" be. A quickly accessible octave up/down switch would allow you to have as many "real" piano keys as possible whether choosing to start from the bottom up or from the top down.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 or 88 ? Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
know, I know, buy the 61 and get an 88 lightweight controller, but now is the hastle of midi and lugging more than one board to a gig. I'm lazy and old.

MIDI for something this simple can be no hassle at all. Just plug in one cable and you're done, if your needs for what you want to do on the 88 are simple enough, which they may be.

As for lugging, I think it would be easier to lug a 28 pound Kronos 61 and a 24 pound Casio 88 (PX3) than it would be to lug a 51 pound Kronos 88. The weight is about the same, but at that total weight, it's easier to move it in two pieces. I suggest the K*M 18880 stand with the 18881 extension. That stand, even with two tiers, is lighter than most one-tier stands, and it easily collapses and assembles, you unlike most two-tier stands, you don't have to remove anything, it moves in one piece and sets up or knocks down in seconds.

An alternative to the PX3 would be a Yamaha P95, which would be less expensive, and I think has a better feeling keyboard, but it is a few pounds more. And the PX3 does have an advantage if you ever decide you want to get a little fancier... you can split the keyboard such that the top and bottom sections (with a user-definable split point) can transmit on different MIDI channels.

More advantages of 2 boards over a Kronos-88 alone:

--- you have a good feeling weighted action for piano playing, and a good feeling unweighted action for organ/synth playing

--- you don't have to worry about "running out of keys" if you're playing, say, a right hand lead part over a left hand pad part... you don't have to stop at a split point, and you can easily have the right hand part "cross" the left hand part without having to do things like set up octave transpositions ahead of time to accommodate something like that

--- if a keyboard fails, you can still manage to get through a gig using the other keyboard. It's rare, but boards *do* fail. There was just a conversation about this on another forum. I would never go to a "professional" gig without backup. Even if you completely trust in the reliability of your board, it can get dropped, or have something dropped on it. or have a drink spilled into it, or who knows what... it does happen.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I'm struggling with as well. I gig every weekend, sometimes 2 or 3 days in a row. So weight and portability are HUGE!

Plus, as a non-weighted keyboard player all my life who needs more than 61 keys, I REALLY hope the RH3 weighted keyboard is of the lighter variety. If it's like a Motif weighted, it'll be a deal breaker. Getting used to the keyboard and playing leads/organs on it is going to be a challenge!

I don't want to rely on using a second board. I just might very well go to a 1 keyboard setup since the Kronos is so capable. We shall see. I'm waiting with baited breath. Come on April!
synthskier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
And for a 76, I would add 3 more to the bottom, giving it the same bottom A a real piano has, and then also the top key would still be a C as it "should" be.

That's a great idea! That makes so much sense to me that I'm surprised it's not a common layout already. I rarely need the top octave, but I'd love to have the low A on a smaller-than-88 keyboard.
spinoria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: 88-keys Reply with quote

I'm still haven't figured out if I should buy this beast but I need 88 weighted keys since my K2500X is in terrible shape right now.
My options are
Motif XF 8
Korg kronos 88
A cheap 88-key midicontroller or a stage piano and Mainstage or Brainspawn forte

Korg Kronos pros are light weight (23 kg is not much), cons are maybe the price.

Motif XF 8 pros is the piano sound, but it's really heavy and to big to carry alone. Also very expensive with all Flash you shoud buy to match the kronos.

Motif XF 6 or Kronos 61 is also an option and buy a midicontroller with 88 keys. There's money left to buy a quite good 88-key midi controller for the money saved on the 61-key versions.

It's not easy but If I buy the 88 key I don't need my computer with brainspawn or mainstage so often. One keyboard and you are ready to go for 80% of the gigs.

I had almost decided to go for the Motif XF 8 when Kronos was announced but now I have to think it over one more time Smile
I sometimes feel a little disappointed over my M3 but there are some features on this keyboard that I think will make hold on to it for a couple of years.

Ahhhhh... I'm getting crazy... I really need to try out the Kronos soon.
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 88-keys Reply with quote

spinoria wrote:
Motif XF 8 pros is the piano sound.

Sure about that? From what I've heard of the online demos (and having played the XS8), I'd think the advantage in "piano sound" would have to go to the Kronos -- 9 GBs for two pianos!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: