Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats missing in KRONOS..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight individual analog outputs instead of four, or ADAT I/O, would have been nice. Seems like a pretty big oversight considering "9 sound engines!".

Last edited by T7 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
McRos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
a jack of all trades is master of none

Well, I've listen to songs done entire on a single workstation sounding like a finished record done in a super studio, so this doesn't apply. Have you listened the demo sequences that Stephen Kay has made for the KOrg workstations more than 20 years old? Just check the Karma Media Player on the Karma website and scroll down.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Rudess recorded albums just using his Kurzweil K2500s and 2600s, and the 2600 had all of two synth engines. I'd say if the OASYS sounds weak compared to them, I'd like to know that now. Wink
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats missing in KRONOS.. Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
So what do you think is missing from this lovely instrument

-MOSS technollogy
-RADIAS technollogy

As mentioned elsewhere, the only MOSS algorithms missing from the Kronos are the Bowed String, Brass, and Wind models. The Kronos covers the rest (analogue, cross-mod, osc-sync, ring-mod, VPM, plucked string, electric piano, organ) in huge detail.

Kinda gutted it doesn't have Brass or Wind modelling though.

More recently, Arturia have kinda trumped (trumpetted?) the physical modelling side of brass since then. But Korg's brass models were more extensive, and they must have improved their brass and wind algorithms since the Moss/Oasys-PCI days. Come on Korg, we know you have it!

As for the Radias, the Kronos AL-1 is the (slightly) bigger brother of Radias. They seem very similar. On paper, the only things that Radias can do that AL-1 can't are:- comb filtering, vocoding, decimator/pickup/hard-clip waveshaping (could be easily covered by effects, though), and I think the drive in AL-1 is fixed to post-filter as opposed to being switchable post/pre filter like on the Radias. Mod-sequencing can be covered by Karma, and the PCM waveforms are more than covered by HD-1.

I would have dearly love to have seen interpolation (smoothing) between knob values for stepper free knob twiddling. Come on Korg it's 2011, not 1995!
T7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats missing in KRONOS.. Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
I would have dearly love to have seen interpolation (smoothing) between knob values for stepper free knob twiddling. Come on Korg it's 2011, not 1995!

I remember reading about that in the SOS review of the Oasys. Have Korg confirmed this is still the case with Kronos?...Extremely dissapointing if it is.

Last edited by T7 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats missing in KRONOS.. Reply with quote

T7 wrote:
Timo wrote:

I remember reading about that in the SOS review of the Oasys. Have Korg confirmed this is still the case with Kronos?...Extremely dissapointing if it is.

Let me step into the wayback machine and take a trip back to 2006...wait just a minute....ok, fixed!

From the OASYS version 1.2 release notes:

Improved parameter smoothing

Since its initial release, OASYS has used several different smoothing processes to minimize "steppiness" on knobs, sliders, and controls. These processes have been further improved, via an adaptive smoothing algorithm.

Tone Adjust is now smoothed as well, so that you can use this Control Surface mode for performance as well as when editing. Many parameters are also now smoothed even when edited from the LCD.

Very Happy
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
T7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Whats missing in KRONOS.. Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
T7 wrote:
Timo wrote:

Let me step into the wayback machine and take a trip back to 2006...wait just a minute....ok, fixed!

From the OASYS version 1.2 release notes:

Improved parameter smoothing

LOL. Nice!
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Whats missing in KRONOS.. Reply with quote

Timo wrote:

As for the Radias, the Kronos AL-1 is the (slightly) bigger brother of Radias. They seem very similar. On paper, the only things that Radias can do that AL-1 can't are:- comb filtering,

Absolutely true that the AL-1 doesn't do comb filtering. However, the STR-1 does. See "Using the string as a comb filter for PCM" in the STR-1 chapter of the OASYS Parameter Guide, and of course the KRONOS one when it comes out.

Timo wrote:

vocoding,

Also absolutely true that a vocoder isn't built-into the AL-1. Instead, the vocoder is in the effects, where you can use it with any combination of the synth engines (layers, Combis, etc., including modulating one set of sounds with another).

Timo wrote:
decimator/pickup/hard-clip waveshaping (could be easily covered by effects, though), and I think the drive in AL-1 is fixed to post-filter as opposed to being switchable post/pre filter like on the Radias.

Again, true on all counts for the AL-1. For waveshaping (including clipping, drive, pickups, and lots more), including control over where they happen in the chain, look instead to the MOD-7.

Timo wrote:

Mod-sequencing can be covered by Karma, and the PCM waveforms are more than covered by HD-1.

Note also the step sequencer in the EXi Program, plus the per-voice step sequencers in the AL-1 and MOD-7.

Re PCM: don't forget the STR-1 and MOD-7, both of which can use samples as well.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this thread!!! The Kronos could take a lifetime to exploit all that's inside and people ask for more? And if Korg includes all that but sell it 5000$ or more, people will then complain it's too expensive!! Really, c'mon, this thread leads to nothing IMHO...

Blink
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Whats missing in KRONOS.. Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
So what do you think is missing from this lovely instrument?

It still doesn't make coffee, and has no alarm function. Apart from that, it's pretty complete for now.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
I can't believe this thread!!! The Kronos could take a lifetime to exploit all that's inside and people ask for more? And if Korg includes all that but sell it 5000$ or more, people will then complain it's too expensive!! Really, c'mon, this thread leads to nothing IMHO...

Blink

With your Z1, you have some pretty damn good versions of the same kind of physical models of the KRONOS, plus several it doesn't have. I got my Z1 for $400. Plus with the Wavestation, you've got pretty good wave sequencing and vector synthesis. So maybe we MOSS owners might not be as thrilled as others regarding the number 9 for $3,000, when we've already got so many models for a lot less.

Not that I don't like what I've seen so far about the KRONOS. My favorite part about KRONOS is all the M3's and Radias being liquidated to raise the money for it. I love price devaluation of nice gear, since I tend to buy and hold. Very Happy Yes, I'm a bottom feeder waiting for the morsels to float down to my price point. Drool nom nom nom nom nom
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Not that I don't like what I've seen so far about the KRONOS. My favorite part about KRONOS is all the M3's and Radias being liquidated to raise the money for it. I love price devaluation of nice gear, since I tend to buy and hold. Very Happy Yes, I'm a bottom feeder waiting for the morsels to float down to my price point. Drool nom nom nom nom nom

Gotta admit, I'm considering this, too. I've already begun selling off gear with the intention of buying a Kronos 88, but the prospect of picking up an M3-88 or Motif XS8 for $1500 (roughly what they're going for on my local craigslist), and keeping the rest of my stuff*, is very tempting...

* Pro-One and OB-8 are NOT part of my liquidation!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:

Gotta admit, I'm considering this, too. I've already begun selling off gear with the intention of buying a Kronos 88, but the prospect of picking up an M3-88 or Motif XS8 for $1500 (roughly what they're going for on my local craigslist), and keeping the rest of my stuff*, is very tempting...

When you buy used at a value price, most of the depreciation has already occurred, so even if you sell it later you don't lose much actual value for the period you use it. Much of my gear I can sell for a profit even having owned it for years, or at least break even. Some examples: MPC1000/Black $535, SP-606 $250, Z1 $400, TrEx 61 $745, R3 $420, X-Station 25 $350, SP-404 $250, EMX $350.

Some items I've passed up on include a nice TrEx 88 for $900, a M3-M for $1,200, Radias-R $550 (a year before the price drop).
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already mentioned the two things I'd like, but I might as well put them in this aptly named thread. Unlike what others have mentioned, the things I want are more performance oriented...

... the ability to plug Korg Nano controllers into the USB-A port

... the ability to call up a scanned page (PDF, JPEG, whatever) associated with each entry in a Set List, so I could see lyrics or chord charts

In theory, I imagine either of these could be added with a software upgrade, and are probably simpler than most of the other things people are mentioning! And they would be enormously useful for live performers. (As opposed to dead ones.)
mjames4208

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want a breath controller, like the one yamaha used to have on their synths.

i joined this forum in 2007 and this is my first post..... LOL
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: