Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 and PA588 - opinions please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Korg M50 and PA588 - opinions please! Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I currently own a PSR3000 and would like to purchase a new keyboard on which to play piano. (I previously also owned a P50 which was great, but the piano was at best described as bad.)

I have seen lots of publicity about the Pa588 and M50 but no reviews or opinions other than U-tube.

Each of these boards has the triple layer piano sample, but which one would give me the best sound? I am not so bothered about 7 octaves or graded keys, I just want to enjoy a good piano sound!

Also are all the styles from the PA800/PAx2 compatible with the Pa588, as the operating systems don't seem to be the same (i.e. OS2)? I could always midi sytles through to the M50 from the PSR3000 I suppose.

I would be grateful of any opinions please.

Thanks,

Chris
Wendel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello chrisg,

I haven't played any of them and i don't think anyone on these forums has a pa588. You could ask the members in the M50 section about the piano but it all comes down to your taste. The pa588 has styles and has compatibility with the pa800/pa2x the M50 doesn't. The piano of the pa588 is the same as that of the pa2x from what ive heard. The pa2x is much better and has more polyphony if that is important for you.
chrisg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Wendel!

Chris.
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piano sound of the PA588 is samples of the C720 and it is very very good.
chrisg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks MrKorg. I really will have to listen to both, but finding them together is going to be a little more tricky I think!

Thanks again for your reply,

Chris
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

You can visit www.korgpa.com and check out the demos of the piano on both the PA2X and PA588.
chrisg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again MrKorg.

I have been to that site many times and listened to the MP3 demos.

I don't like the sound of the mid/top end of the piano sound at all on the demo as I think it is VERY 'plonky' and poorly sampled - it lets the other sounds down. I do think however that the overall sound when playing korgs live is much different than if you listen to a demo on your computer speakers (in my oppinion).

My major concern is that I previously owned a PA50, and the piano in the mid/upper ranges of that was absolutely aweful, and this may just be a korg characteristic. What I am really looking for now is perhaps a good piano piece on U-tube or the like played with one of these keyboards which might give a better overall picture.

If an M50 is better (or a used Tritin), I could always use it coupled to my PSR3000 if that gave me what I want.

It looks as though I shall just have to wait and see, but thanks for your help again,

Chris
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Chris Smile

Just some freindly advice, make sure the keyboard is well suited for your needs. YOu said you have a PSR 3000 i take that to mean you are more of an arranger person than a workstation (M50).

From what i know, the PA2X is much better than the M50. The M50 is an entry level workstation, whereas the PA2X is Korg's flagship arranger and is the best in the market. You can also tweak the piano sound if you don't like it and you can load any compatible piano sample that you like. Sharp has converted many beautiful piano samples into PA format which you can download for free from here.

Befor you make any decision play the PA2X, PA588 and the M50 and see which suits you.
chrisg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, MrKorg.

Thanks again for your advice.

Just a little note to say that I agree with you about the PA2X, but unfortunately I am not able to find enough money to consider one.

The reason I considered tha M50 was just that it seemed a good way of getting the triple layer piano sound with the bonus of Korgs synth engine.

Perhaps I should heed your advice, try and play them and perhaps wait untill I spot a used PA2X for sale.

Thanks again,

Chris
nikola81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you maybe thought about pa800 if you don't mind 61 keys, it has i think same piano as pa2x and it is pretty much as good as pa2x especially after last os update.
And one more thing, about piano sounds, i know that i never liked any factory piano on my keyboards when i first tried them but on large sound systems they sound very good. On TR i never liked Acoustic piano and now I ended up using it a lot cause it sounds rich on speakers we use.
chrisg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nikola.

Thanks for your note.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I cannot easily get to hear the korgs. I have considered a used PA800, but am a little worried that it does not seem to be well supported with new styles e.t.c.

After having a Yamaha with lots of support and extra software, I am also a little nervous about feeling 'left out' with this model.

As soon as I can hear one, I am sure I will make up my mind straight away.

Thanks again,

Chris
mrkorg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikola,

The Piano sounds are different on the PA2X.

Chris,

You won't find any support as good as Korg. There are many styles over the net and those providd by Korg and the best part is they are for free. Yamaha charge per style, this is an alien concept for Korg.
Alfadelta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Alfadelta Reply with quote

I have a PA588 and it is a great keyboard for home playing. I dont think there is an alternative choice in this price range, for an 88 hammergraded high quality arranger. DGX simply can`t compere in sounds, Roland dont have in this price range, what else? Kurcweil may be, i dont know anything about these keys...
virtuoso

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello girls and boys,after using is5 and TR76 (which I sold),I own now a PA 588 and for now I'm very satisfied (although not started to use at a gig,because I play only at summer season) with this keyboard,having the best styles available and very good keys with wonderfull piano sounds.

Only minus is a big weight. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: