Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need a hardware sampler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekord123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: need a hardware sampler Reply with quote

Like the rest of us, I make electronic music and I want to get my stuff out there. I use fl studio but if I'm going to play live I need a sampler that I can load tracks onto from my computer and my synthesizer. Any reccomdendations? A good amount of memory would be preferable. Also, I was thinking about just buying a cheap mini laptop and just getting sampeling software. Any input on that as opposed to a hardware sampler?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a 'mini laptop' I assume you mean a netbook.
Most netbooks are based on the Intel Atom processor which isn't really up to running any kind of music software. In fact it seems to struggle with even basic tasks under windows XP, like Skype or Internet Explorer.

However, decently equipped laptops (you want at least an Intel 'Core Duo' or 'Core2 Duo' processor) can be found relatively cheaply now. Beware that many ultra cheap laptops will not be very well built physically. The manufacturers make cheaper laptops with good components generally by skimping on the physical build. Cheap chrome effect plastic and glowing lights are generally a sign of a cheaply built consumer laptop. Not to say that it wouldn't be any good, but in my experience it wouldn't necessarily fare well on stage and being carried around a lot.

Many people now buy laptops which just sit on a desk, and they are fine for that.

Anyway, software will probably get you further than any hardware. There are a few good hardware samplers, most of them are rack mount or tabletop modules, and almost all of them will not really allow you to load an entire track into them.

I hear Korg's relatively new microSampler is quite good and I've seen a few bands using them. Otherwise you might want to look at an M3M, Electribe ESX or perhaps an ES-1, an MPC, or something older like an AKAI S6000 or S5000.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cminor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

software!
the RAM is too expensive as hardware sampler.
The Triton have 32mb.. and cost about 500 euro on ebay.
The M3 have 64-320mb (with expansion) and cost above 1300 euro.
For 1GB you must have above 2000 euro.
So you better get a laptop/audio card with ASIO (for low latency) and a Kontakt or Halion.
If you are beginner take the Steinberg Cubase Essentials that have Halion One. You can use it for DAW and Sampler Wink
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cminor wrote:

If you are beginner take the Steinberg Cubase Essentials that have Halion One. You can use it for DAW and Sampler Wink

Cubase isn't great for playing live though. (I know, I use it in the studio and I've tried to play live. Switching between songs is just too complicated).

I'd recommend running Ableton Live, if you want to use it to play samples, loops, and synths live.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cminor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes , you're right...
I am working in Cubase for 10 years, great fan....
sorry, I heard about Ableton Live , but didn't have the chance to test it.
I heard that Depeche Mode is using it anow for live (even a Ableton are making a commercial with the DM FOH Engineer.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I'd recommend running Ableton Live, if you want to use it to play samples, loops, and synths live.

+1, even when away from a dedicated controller, it's fun to work with just the computer keyboard to turn the clips on/off, trigger beats, notes and switch between scenes using the touch pad. I'm using Sonar for a long time, but Ableton Live is the one for me when it comes to live or interactive performance and workflow.
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sampling and Libraries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: