Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning the wave drum.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Learning the wave drum. Reply with quote

I decided to go through the editing portion of the manual and try some changes to see what affects what. So far I have taken program 00 and tried every algorithm with it. Now one thing I learned so far is that there are different programs designed for hand or stick or a combination there of. I was wondering why some programs seemed to work so well with the hand and others didn't. I suppose just because you designate a program as hand for head and stick for rim that doesn't mean that you have to play it that way. On the head it really isn't a problem but on the rim the programs designated for hand are a lot easier to use with the hand. Anyway you all probably got that already but anyone as new to this as I am might find it to be a revelation as well. I will now go through and take the rim sounds I want as a hand and change them! FWIW
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for sharing this. I was aware of the additional force needed sometimes to trigger the desired rim-sounds. How do you exactly change this? (Yes - I'm very new to the Wavedrum too Laughing )
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed2 is where you want to be, use the value knob to get to E9 which is parameter for selecting 1 of 5 hand stick combinations. E9 is the PreEQ. Page8 is clear on how to get into the various modes, hold the bank/mode button down and press a button 1-4 and pg. 9 is good for saving basically write twice but in the edit modes you'll need to pick a user location before pressing write a second time, any other button exits without saving. What helped me get this the most was realizing the mode button is the Key to getting in hold it and press buttons 1-4 and you are in that mode, they are labeled below the buttons a grayish color. Pre EQ has 5 different choices
H=hand
S=stick
n=notches
choices are
H-H for hand head and hand rim
H-S
S-S
H-n
S-n

Seems HH will be the loudest because the S and n choices eq for a stronger sharper attack, or at least that is how it seems to me.

A couple things that sunk in after a couple times through he book was that when editing the decimal point will light when you change the value from the original and go dark if you go back to the original value. If a button other then the selected button (1-4) is blinking, this indicates the corresponding parameter value has already been edited.

So far the important pages to get started, at least for me are page 7, 8, 9 and 12 thru 15. These are good to get going on the editing and understanding what can and can't be edited. Seems like a lot but 12 thru 15 are basically just charts showing and explaining what parameters and can edited and what the button (1-4) will select. After 15 it is a more detailed explanation of the single and double algorithms.

I'm actually laminating the supplemental sheets with the different names and instruments etc. I use it all the time.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the book isn't bad but it does cover a lot in a short amount of time. I have had this instrument since July 2010 and only just started trying some of this other stuff. I was so caught up with just using the presets i forgot there were even loops! I didn't remember that till I saw the Oriental demo on you tube and heard Geoffrey Brown mention it. Maybe for an accomplished drummer it isn't so much to absorb. I don't know but I am not a drummer but now want to be one. I said it once before this drum thing is as dangerous a slippery slope as pedals guitars and amps can be for the guitarists!

Charlie I wonder how cool the Wavedrum would sound amped up and played format he top of the Zugspitze! My dad was there and I have wanted to go ever since he told me of it. I bet you could really freak some people out cranking that thing up from way up top!
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
I was aware of the additional force needed sometimes to trigger the desired rim-sounds. How do you exactly change this? (Yes - I'm very new to the Wavedrum too Laughing )

Lots of different sticks Wink

Really though, I've spent a bundle on sticks and brushes and mallets of all sizes weights and textures, because the WD responds brilliantly to each. Wire brushes eat fibreskins for breakfast but sound great, plastic brushes give a good thwack, sticks with rubberized grips take the clang out of the rim hits and mallets - well - expensive little buggers but sooooo much fun!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea you need a whole set of different sticks and such! Mallets have been my favorite for awhile now.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow-up on a couple things here...

When it comes to the "PreEQ" settings described above, I almost always end up choosing "H-H" (Hand-Hand) when creating new programs. It seems to be the most responsive and I really haven't had a problem with it being too sensitive or generating any distortion issues.

As for sticks and mallets? Oh boy! I have easily quadrupled my collection of implements since getting into the Wavedrum. I have found it to be very important to explore each program with a variety of each. Very often I find one particular stick, brush or mallet that works particularly well for a given program. With all the dynamic range, certain mallets will bring out different aspects of the program...especially on the rim!

In some of the YouTube videos from NAMM you can spot a stickbag and mallet tray behind me. I bring a lot of weaponry to those shows! It's always good to have the perfect "stick" for a particular sound.

Experimenting is half the fun!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a set of the sticks that look like many little bamboo rods yet, I will soonM I was surprised of the changes in response from some heavier zildgin studio master sticks to so el cheapo light weight vic firth. Both sound good but in different ways.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the multi rods today, pro mark hot rods. Wow I love them almost as much as I love the mallets!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: