Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: The M1 Piano
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

M1 Piano: The Greatest Piano? or the crappiest attempt at an AP from a ROMpler?
Amazing! I can't live without it!!!
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
It's crap!!! Give me a real piano, and not this rinky dink sound...
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Huh? It sounds the same as other Pianos, no big deal
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
It's good, but I still like the JV-80 Piano more, it's not as hard, but it has more colour...
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

mikee72
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a decent piano on the M1 is one of the reasons for me looking to upgrade. The patch is horrible, and I can't wait to replace it in my songs that use it.
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have voted but there was no fitting category. I think thi M1 piano has it's uses, as already mentioned. I have used it. I find that, for a lot of my live playing, (don't slam me), I really love the GM "60's EP,and E Piano Legend, which oddly, got stuck in gm bank (*3 or *4). For soloing, I love B-126 P Pro-Dyno EP.

Quote; "I got really turned on to the 01 from listening to Vitalij Kuprij"

I LOVE Vitalij, I was just listening to Artension yesterday. Thats not really my favorite music, but when I heard he had a cool lead sound, and was using a Korg, I gave him a listen, and WOW! Awesome display of musicianship! The whole band!
I've always been a defender of Korg piano's. My N-364 didn't have one single, useable acc. piano sound when I first bought it, but I fixed that. The EP patches are Beautiful though. (well... I think so).
The stock Triton piano sounds are better,... but The EXB_PCM08 Pianos are Just nice!
The Motif had good pianos and drums, but I agree, that the Triton sound engine with the EXB-PCM08, and all the downloads that are available, is certainly, all I will ever need. And if your lucky enough to be able to use Sample Assault,......Well.... Very Happy .
Cheers,
Stephen Smile
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a T3EX so the basic piano is better since it uses a 1Mb sample RAM. But if you put the M1 piano back in context, then it was groundbreaking for 1988. To me, comparing it to other synths released years later is non-sensical.

Can a 1988 PC with 14.4k modem be used to surf the net? Yes. Will it be as enjoyable as a 2003 Pentium 4 on cable? No.

The M1 is still a very good machine for all those synthy sounds. When I need realistic sounds, I look elsewhere, Trinity and Triton for example. Wink

François
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtphunk wrote:

Quote; "I got really turned on to the 01 from listening to Vitalij Kuprij"

I LOVE Vitalij, I was just listening to Artension yesterday.
Stephen Smile

Dude, that's my quote:) Yeah that's a part of the reason I got hooked on the 01, mainly because it sounds so darn good. I'm a big Vitalij Kuprij fan. I love artension and his solo stuff and Ring Of Fire.

Yeah man, that 01/W monolead combination lead and pad is among the greatest, that's a factory preset on the 01/W lol.

Another, I haven't heard any synth/sampler EVER that had a pipe organ(think phantom of the opera) that even comes close to the 01/W pipe I have made. Very over the top.
Cool, wonder which disks you were listening to. Makes a big difference as to which synths he played. Throughout his whole carrer and now he obviously use the 01/Wfd, and recently he added a Triton and a Trinity was in there too.

On the Live DVD in Tokyo he had in his stage setup, a Korg 01/Wfd, Triton Pro in the middle, and a Trinity ProX on the bottom. This is an awesome dvd. Lots of awesome musicians and Korg synths hehe. He had a Classic triton pro so his piano was coming from the Trinity ProX. I know he had pbs and some piano samples though. His piano sounded great in that. The piano solo he gets under the keyboards and plays them upside down. I luvvvvv the 01/W series.

Here's that lead and other awesome 01/W sounds from Vitalij for the curious:

http://www.vitalijkuprij.com/sound/mp3/a2_PhoenixRising.mp3 15 sec

http://www.vitalijkuprij.com/sound/mp3/a3_RideLikeTheWind.mp3

http://www.vitalijkuprij.com/sound/mp3/a4_MadnessCalling.mp3

Yup you can hear some of that stock 01/W piano in that last clip. The pro version or the XSC card is much better, but it aint no motif/triton studio/exb08 piano lol. Before I got my Triton Studio, I had the pleasure of having the Motif 6 right beside my 01/Ws. Nice piano, but IMO, the choirs, strings, a lot of the thick and hard pads/and evolving pads went to the 01/W. Hopefully they added some better ones in the new Motif. The motif had a KILLER pipe organ too, but as I said above, didn't touch the 01/W pipe that I have made. I'm gonna sample that bitch one of these days lol.

Anyway, that guy is great. The music is great, anybody(well maybe not lol) can appreciate(especially korg heads) the musicality and beauty in this guys music.
musicaldoc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with Francois,

everything must be compared to his age, what was "normality" among the ancient populations is not normality nowdays.

M1 piano was astonishing in around late 80' infact we can recognize it in maaaaaany of those years music, we all now that !!

Mr Spock would say .............long life and prosperity to the synth that made us dream when we where younger Sad

Cheers Mdoc
jmsm1618

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Obvious this it is a synthetic piano and it is not looked in anything like a real piano. But, definitively it is a piano sound that marked a time.

In Mexico it is considered like the "classic piano of salsa". In the 90's years all salsa bands used this piano.
------
JMSM
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 'classic' sound, must have it for nostalgic reasons. I bet a lot of covers are played using it or samples of it too. I still play it on my triton because one of first songs I wrote featured it, and it sounds the same playing it now Smile

Simon
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John01W,
I was not aware of a DVD, I'd really like to see that.
I was on the Artension Web Site, listening to MP3 clips. The stores here don't stock the CDs. I can order them, but I was hoping to get some advise on which one to get first. Confused . There are a lot of sound clips there, and I go there and listen and shake my head in amazement at the talent.
Maybe I'll see if I can order the DVD!! Very Happy
Cheers,
Stephen Smile
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtphunk wrote:
John01W,
I was not aware of a DVD, I'd really like to see that.
I was on the Artension Web Site, listening to MP3 clips. The stores here don't stock the CDs. I can order them, but I was hoping to get some advise on which one to get first. Confused . There are a lot of sound clips there, and I go there and listen and shake my head in amazement at the talent.
Maybe I'll see if I can order the DVD!! Very Happy
Cheers,
Stephen Smile

NP, get Vitalij's solo album High Definition. He's even holding the 01/Wfd on the cover and on the cd lol.

Artension's Forces of Nature, Pheonix Rising hell all of them are good. He had that 01 with him on a great deal of his album photos lol.

Ring of Fire Live In Tokyo Dvd. Hard to get kinda. I got mine at cdjapan.com Flippin' incredible musicians and music.

Ring of Fire's The Oracle, and Dreamtower. The first one is awesome too.
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i 've heard nice pianoes on m1,it sounded ok on stage,but i don't know about the feeling.i was just hearing it and it was lovely.but still i think after so many synth-pianoes i've heard,that the best piano sound for stage is the 64voice piano from jv-1080/xp50/80 and the session piano from xp30. i think theese patches are the best for live.they have a smooth feeling and they sound great in the mix ,but they can stand by their own too. i have exb-08 in my triton pro,but still i'm in love with my xp's piano.
tommo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Square wavy Reply with quote

I owned an M1 from 1988 to 93. A wonderful keyboard, except for the acoustic piano. Too square wavy for me.

Cheers
Tommo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: