Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transpose on Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlbenick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Transpose on Kronos Reply with quote

Does anyone know if transpose will be selected from the Kronos interface, or will it be burried in a global menu, making it difficult for live performance?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transpose on Kronos Reply with quote

carlbenick wrote:
Does anyone know if transpose will be selected from the Kronos interface, or will it be burried in a global menu, making it difficult for live performance?

Hi Carl!

Octave up and octave down can be assigned to SW1/2.

Transpose is on the first page of Global mode, at the top right. Press the front-panel GLOBAL button and it's right there.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any alternative to have semi-tone transpose with SW1/2 (or any kind of "Shift+SW1/2") like for some arranger (PA3X) or live keyboard?

It could be pretty useful, when you quickly need to shift down your whole song of a semi-tone...

Phil
RichF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the SW1/SW2 switches and Global transposition, you might also choose to assign the transpose function to switches in Tone Adjust mode, where you can specify exactly how many half-steps to transpose in either direction. Like the SW1/SW2 transpose, you'll find that many Programs already have this built-in.
AK-Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Korg,

You guys rock! Not to seem ungrateful, but now that we've gotten Seamless Switching, can we please get 2 dedicated Octave-shift buttons and a transpose button like Roland and Yamaha offer?

Love,
Jake
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the transpose on the Alesis Fusion is pretty sweet - just hold down the Locate button and hit whatever key you want to become the new middle C. Something like that would be fantastic
AK-Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
the transpose on the Alesis Fusion is pretty sweet - just hold down the Locate button and hit whatever key you want to become the new middle C. Something like that would be fantastic

I forgot about that...yeah, that was a sweet feature. I don't miss my Fusion, but I do miss a few things about it.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also transpose a program in the program edit mode and save it to memory,and go to that program from the main page without entering any other modes or pages.
carlbenick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Transpose Reply with quote

This is where Yamaha and Kurzweil have got it down from a performance aspect, by having the transpose buttons (octave and semitone) built into the interface. For someone who does not use transpose very often, reassigning buttons or calling up a global function will be fine. But, for someone who uses transpose frequently and also wants to have full functionality of their buttons and patch screen, having to filp back and forth between the main patch screen and the global menu is not seemless. I have an M3 and when I play a song that has multiple modulations, I end up having to stick to a single patch because it is just too difficult.
mrk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transpose Reply with quote

carlbenick wrote:
This is where Yamaha and Kurzweil have got it down from a performance aspect, by having the transpose buttons (octave and semitone) built into the interface.

What Yamaha products are you referring to? At least the Motif series never had semi-tone transpose buttons and octave transpose is not really useful on the 88 keys versions (that's why Motif classic and ES 8 models did not even have those).
jmexio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transpose Reply with quote

carlbenick wrote:
I have an M3 and when I play a song that has multiple modulations, I end up having to stick to a single patch because it is just too difficult.

RichF wrote:
In addition to the SW1/SW2 switches and Global transposition, you might also choose to assign the transpose function to switches in Tone Adjust mode, where you can specify exactly how many half-steps to transpose in either direction.

Seems pretty easy to me, if you take the time to set up your patches a bit... Instead of pressing one button, you press two (tone adjust mode+a specific switch).

Disadvantages:
You'll have to press those buttons again when you switch patches. This can be solved by using global.

Advantages:
You can have multiple transposition amounts set up early on, in case you have multiple modulation points on your song.

As always, a compromise Smile

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would surely appreciate dedicated transpose keys for semitone and octaves such for the Pa3X... Mainly for "live mode" which is a domain for the Kronos.

Until new keyboard design, I think a software update could solve some issues by having a dedicated tabs on the SetList view...
There's only 3 tabs for now: Play, Edit and Controller... So, there's a lot of room for improvement on this menu Smile

My 2 cents,
Phil
carlbenick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha S90XS and the Kurzweil PC3 have dedicated semitone and octave transpose keys directly on the interface. These two boards were designed as performance keyboards.

When playing something that is pre-rehearsed, I suppose programming alternate switches and knobs can work for transpose on the front interface.

But..., when playing live (non-rehearsed) there is no way to predict where transpose will be needed and what patches you will be using, therefore lack of dedicated interface switches highly limits playability in a live performance mode.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlbenick wrote:
But..., when playing live (non-rehearsed) there is no way to predict where transpose will be needed and what patches you will be using, therefore lack of dedicated interface switches highly limits playability in a live performance mode.

Agreed. Korg limps in this area.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
^ this, should not be a impossible feature to implement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: