Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMS 20 ipad - Possibly the best purchase i've made in years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick DJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: iMS 20 ipad - Possibly the best purchase i've made in years Reply with quote

Ok i've now been playing around quiet a bit on the iMS 20 looking at some of the sequencing and sound possibilities and quiet honestly as a ideas creation tool it is unbelievable!! I will say with 100% confidence it is a better initial tool to work with than using a full DAW package and i will tell you why below.
1. Alot of the times when your feeling creative or you have an idea or a feel in your mind you might not have access to your DAW but with the ipad you can sit on the sofa with your headphones in, maybe in an airport, sitting on a plane.. The software is powerfull enough to create that initial idea very quickly.
2. The simplicity of the system means you do not get wrapped up in endless production capabilities of a DAW to early on in the ideas process, you can fire loads of differant ideas down like a mobile music sketch pad. Then use the best of those ideas on your main DAW system later, no point in decorating a cake until you have a delicious mixture! LOL
3. If your into electronic / dance orientated music creation and you have an ipad this is a no brainer purchase, in my opininion one of the best developments to come out in recent years, if you think this thing is a toy then your incredibly nieve, explore the possibilities more.
@KORG This system needs some kind of interface into Qubase so that you can get these ideas into a production enviroment, can someone tell me the best way to do this.
Rant over. Razz
Krog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I completely agree with your post Very Happy

A fantastic little app to make music with if you are an iPad owner.

With respect to getting stuff into your DAW software, there is currently no support for MIDI and so the option you will have to use is to 'bounce' your patterns and then import them into your DAW (as WAV files I think).

This is not as bad as it may sound because it effectively lets you create a multitude of loops that you can play around with to your hearts content in your PC environment Wink

Cheers,

Krog.
Teenage Engineering : OP-1
Other : Samson Carbon 61 Midi Keys
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
DAW : Logic, Maschine
Studio : Behringer Xenyx 1002FX, Behringer MS40 Monitors.
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
http://www.youtube.com/Krog360
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the idea of this app more & more from seeing user feedback.

What's the sound quality like once exported in a DAW I wonder?

On the cusp of getting an iPad - this would cement the deal. Laughing
Krog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've exported some patterns into GarageBand and I have to say that the quality seems fine to me.

Using the app as a pattern or loop generator is very intuitive and loads of fun. Once imported and treated as loops, the patterns stitch together seamlessly and it expands the use of the app immensely.

The only way I can think of describing it is that it's like having a Kaosillator Pro that can actually generate it's own custom sounds.

If you own an iPad and you love making music then this is must-buy app Very Happy

Cheers,

Krog.
Apps : iKaossilator, iElectribe, iElectribe Gorillaz Edition, iMS20, iPolySix, ReBirth, Figure, Nanostudio, Animoog, Funkbox
Past : M50, Microkorg, Kaossilator Pro, Korg Micro-X, Kaosillator, Roland SH-101, Mattel Synsonic Drums, Casio VL Tone, Casio MT-30, Casio SK-1, Yamaha SY55, Roland TR-505
Krog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google found this :

"Audio export function (Bouncing a song or pattern, and Real-time recording a performance: 16-bit/44.1 kHz stereo WAV format)"

Very Happy
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info - also did some more research - really at £10 it's a no brainer - useful as I have no brain.

So now got an ipad + iMS20 good to go Xmas day!!! (probably miss dinner, speech, alcohol....etc) Very Happy
Maverick DJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Krog, i've managed to successfully get some loops into Qubase and im very pleased with the result.
Infact to prove a point i'm going to create a complete 4 minute track using nothing but the IMS20 as the original sound source for everything and process everything in Qubase im fairly confident i can put together something that most people will be amazed was possible with an ipad..LOL

I've got a feeling that maybe into next year we will see alot more ipad possibilities becoming available. Razz
Miggz McFly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you guys say you export to Daws, you're talking about midi information right?
Krog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miggz McFly wrote:
when you guys say you export to Daws, you're talking about midi information right?

No. In this context we are talking about saving the patterns as WAV files from within the app and then importing them into DAW software.

Cheers,

Krog.
Miggz McFly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang. is there any sequencers available for the ipad that allow for midi export?
roxxx303

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my researches:

- iSequence (midi-export) - 8 Tracks - cool sound-lib - and import own samples!
- NanoStudio has midi-import/-export - 6 Tracks - iPhone Size.
- MusicStudio (midi-import/-export) - 128 Tracks! - but the standard sound-lib sounds very general midi!
- Pianist Pro (midi-import/-export) - cool ARP and scaled pad - and simple drummachine - but only one instrument-sound on all tracks and no note-editor.
- Sunvox (Midi-export)

Please, if someone knows more apps with midi export - let us know!!!
Korg Gadget, iM1, iMS20, iKaossilator, iElectribe, Korg DS-10, Korg Volca Keys, Minimax ASB, Roland TB-303, TR-606, Novation Drumstation, x0xb0x alu, Yamaha CS2x, Ableton Live 9, Les Paul Cherry Sunburst.
Past Gear:
Electribe MX-1, Kaossilator Pro, AIRA TR-8, Novation Bass-Station, Roland JX8P, Roland Alpha-Juno 1, Roland MC-303, Yamaha RM1X.
Maverick DJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://snd.sc/gLe2NK

Finally got around to using the ims20 with Qubase and Reason5 (link above, Recorded the bass and hi hats / effects using the ims20 then uploaded the WAV file into quabse and linked Reason octo rex player of the drums together with a cheesy orgasm sample..LOL

The IMS20 bass sounds are so cool quiet pleased with the result as a quick progression from the ims20 original idea

Shows some possibilities Very Happy
rinoadamo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: And iPad other legacy instruments Reply with quote

Hi everybody, i'm wondering if anyone has some information about the porting of other legacy instruments on iPad, such as M1 (already released for Nintendo platform) or Wavestation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: