Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for KRONOS 2!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
As already indicated - Yamaha have well and truly bowed out of the synthesizer business except for Motif. Beyond that, they literally have no intent, for the foreseeable future, of developing synthesizer technology. There's nothing on the radar, there's no division developing synthesis technology in Yamaha, they have no engineers on the job - any who were there are retired. Don't hold you breadth.

I find that hard to believe.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I'm a bit surprised by your response. I mean, examine what they have produced since the EX5 in 1998 - beyond Motif. Literally nothing.

But I made my point haven spoken to people in Yamaha over the past 5 years or more on and off on this, and although my facts are admittedly a year or two out of date, I’ve had it repeatedly confirmed that Yamaha indeed had let swathes of designers go or retire, and simply do not have that experience in - house anymore. Yamaha Ireland (sadly closed down three years ago and which was in close connection with Yamaha Kemble UK and who I knew very well) confirmed to me repeatedly of the dismantlement of Yamaha synthesizer design all though the noughties. I'm a huge Yamaha user (as you know I own three mint conditiconCS80s, but also own and use the CS70M, CS40M, CS30, DX1, SY77, SY99, VL1, EX5, AN1x, 01V96 and many other Yamaha equipment (indeed I'm a Korg 'blow in' by comparison)); so I've had a lot of intimate contact with personnel in Yamaha Ireland and UK for twenty years; and this is what has been fed to me.

But even disregarding that - surely it is clear that the design experience of the CS80, CP80, DX1, SY77 and even the VL1 are long since gone - sure these are technologies and techniques of decades past - none of this expertise has been called upon since the EX5. Surely you don't think it's still readily available? All of this has bee redeployed.

As mentioned, my information is a year or two out of date - so I accept that there may be new movements in Yamaha to develop new synthesizers and proper workstations beyond Motif; but as of a few years ago I had it on authority that there was literally nothing in development other than Motif. And you can see it - their release of the recent KX series controllers was an utter embarrassment, even to a few employees in Yamaha I knew when released.

In any case, anything new and exciting from Yamaha will have to come from a brand new start, and I would not hold my breath on that (but hope I'm wrong of course because I have been traditionally a huge Yamaha user). But in this instance I'm not merely surmising - I'm going on what I've been told continually through the noughties.

If you know different as of now or recent times please tell - I'd be delighted to hear things have changed on this front. But even if new developments arise, the golden era of Yamaha is gone forever - that list of classics are part of a past era of innovation that is not sustainable these days.

Kevin.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
As already indicated - Yamaha have well and truly bowed out of the synthesizer business except for Motif. Beyond that, they literally have no intent, for the foreseeable future, of developing synthesizer technology. There's nothing on the radar, there's no division developing synthesis technology in Yamaha, they have no engineers on the job - any who were there are retired. Don't hold you breadth.

I find that hard to believe.

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Dan, I'm a bit surprised by your response. I mean, examine what they have produced since the EX5 in 1998 - beyond Motif. Literally nothing.

and

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I’ve had it repeatedly confirmed that Yamaha indeed had let swathes of designers go or retire, and simply do not have that experience in - house anymore.

Google makes research easy. Plenty of Yamaha patents relating to electronic musical instruments of various sorts, right on up to the current day, and including engineers who have been there for a while. Looks like plenty of active development.

http://www.google.com/patents?q=yamaha%20musical%20instrument&btnG=Search%20Patents&scoring=1

http://www.google.com/patents?q=yamaha+tone+generator&scoring=1&lr=&sa=N&start=0

http://www.google.com/patents?q=yamaha%20synthesizer&btnG=Search%20Patents&scoring=1

Talking with someone at a distributor is generally quite different from speaking with someone in Hamamatsu - and even then, like any other company, they're simply not going to tell you about their future plans. These are tight ships; someone I know who was intimately involved with Yamaha development, some time ago, noted that people in one development team wouldn't necessarily know what was going on down the hall.

I don't know what they'll come out with next, or even whether or not they'll come out with anything at all - but their engineers are clearly continuing to work on new things.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan is right!
I am a Korg guy but, I know that Yamaha is a very big and respectable company!
I am sure that Yamaha must have "secret plans for the future"!!

Regards,
Dimitris
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumor has it that they are going to merge their product lines in a similar way that Korg has done with the Kronos.

Mark me down for a V-Max with 128 note polyphony!
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It simply doesn't matter, until Yamaha or whoever comes up with something concrete.

Else EVERYBODY of the big three plus Kurzweil plus Clavia can develop something interesting. Or as a famous soccer trainer said: After the game is before the game. Always. Laughing

There is NOTHING special about that: it will go on like that. It just isn't worth discussing things without even being on the horizon. Rumors are totally irrelevant.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
It just isn't worth discussing things without even being on the horizon. Rumors are totally irrelevant.

Sir, yes sir!

Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan -

I'm confident that Yamaha sources I've spoken to are reliable. But I did qualify that my sources are a year or so out of date.

That said, I'm basing my point from a fairly constant feed of information over ten or more years. Even Yamaha cannot reinvent the wheel over night - if they are to engage synthesizers again in earnest it will be a whole new beginning. So as said I am confident that, irrespective of the no doubt huge research going on in Yamaha across a plethora of acoustic and electronic fields, that the feedback I've recieved about their legacy of synthesizer know how listed in previous posts is now well and truly gone. I think everything Yamaha have done in the past ten years (as in absolutely nothing) more than confirm this anyway. There can be little doubt that the culture in Yamaha that led to the GX1, CP80, GS1, DX1 and VL1 is gone, and as said, I'v had this (broadly) confirmed to me on many, many occasions over the years.

I've also looked bierfly over the patents you mention and they all look to me to be based on digital piano technology - and some are quite theoretical - on this quick look I see little evidence of the development of serious and innovative new syjthesizers or workstations to be available any time soon (admittedly if they are developing a new string model it might make its way into a workstation but it looks more likely to be a piano modelling algorithm).

From this thread and others I realise you think I'm a bit dogmatic and superficial in my appraisals and thoughts because I'm not working in the instrument development industry - but I'll stick to my position on this occasion - I feel I have a fairly true understanding of Yamaha w.r.t to any pending development in serious synthesizer technology. But as I always say in these posts - I'll be only too delighted to be proven wrong - I would absolutely love it if Yamaha were to re-engage synthesizers once again. As it stands, they are firmly out of that space for now and I for one see no evidence that they are interested in re-engaging this market.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I'm confident that Yamaha sources I've spoken to are reliable.

Your sources better tell Yamaha's engineers to stop getting all those music patents then!
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patents show that at least some of the engineers who worked on the VL-1 and related products are still around and filing audio-related patents for Yamaha. So, they're not all gone.

I have no idea what will come in the future, but the gamut of products from the Motif (with its experimental iPad control apps) to the Tenori-On to the Tyros to the CP-1 makes it look to me like they're still moving ahead on multiple fronts.

Best regards,

Dan
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth wrote:
Anyway, they struck up a deal with Stephen Kay...

Kinda says a mouthful about whether or not Yamaha is still in the biz. Or... maybe they've just hired him to be some kind of mascot?!? I can see it now... Yamaha branding all of their new gear with Stephen's smiling face on the front of each package.

Laughing
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Yammie rep informed us that Stephen has purchased controlling interest in Yamaha. Seems they were hurtin' and offered a huge number of company shares to him for pennies on the dollar, so Stephen snapped them up.

Further, it's been rumoured that Boy George has begun reworking his timeless classic for the rejuvenated company's new ad campaign: "KarmaYama KarmaYama Karma Kameleon".

Our rep know his stuff so it's gotta be true!
peter_schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrricky rrrecordo wrote:
"KarmaYama KarmaYama Karma Kameleon"

Laughing

But ya know what? Even if they did stop making synths and stuck to making motorcycles, pianos, and outboard motors there will always be something on the market to satisfy G.A.S. and other gear cravings.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter_schwartz wrote:
Even if they did stop making synths and stuck to making motorcycles, pianos, and outboard motors there will always be something on the market to satisfy G.A.S. and other gear cravings.

Like an amphibious KARMA-tized C7 trike... they do have that crazy new wood patent thing Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: